DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Hard shift from reverse to forward

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Hex 
#1 ·
I think I saw this posted on the forum but could not find the thread. Tonight after driving my truck for a short distance I parked it while I went in the store for about 20 min. Came back out put truck in reverse and when I put it in drive, it shifted hard into gear. I let the truck idle down before moving it into reverse.

Drove a short distance, repeated reverse and forward and everything was fine. This has had happened a handful of times since I have owned the truck. I believe I am up to date on flash updates and have had the torque converter replaced about 500 miles ago.

Looking for any input as to what could be causing the issue or if I need to be concerned. If it something that needs to be looked at I want to be armed with the knowledge of the members of the forum so I don't get the run around by the dealer.

Thanks

#2 ·
I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it, if you've only experienced it a few times. If it's really intermittent, it will be difficult to diagnose. Garage shifts (at closed throttle) are at low torque, so a harsh engagement won't damage your transmission.

Having said that, here are a few questions/comments: Were you still rolling backwards when you shifted into Drive, or were you completely stopped? Has the issue become more prevalent lately? You might have your dealer check your clutch volume index (CVI) readings. The "1st N-D UD" CVI is the one that affects this garage shift. It is normally about 40 points higher than the UD CVI, or the "Normal N-D UD" CVI. I suspect your's will be OK, since if it was way off I'd expect you to get harsh engagements more frequently. But they could check it, and perhaps do a "quick-learn" procedure (using a scan tool) to reset all your CVI readings.

#5 ·
I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it, if you've only experienced it a few times. If it's really intermittent, it will be difficult to diagnose. Garage shifts (at closed throttle) are at low torque, so a harsh engagement won't damage your transmission.

Having said that, here are a few questions/comments: Were you still rolling backwards when you shifted into Drive, or were you completely stopped? Has the issue become more prevalent lately? You might have your dealer check your clutch volume index (CVI) readings. The "1st N-D UD" CVI is the one that affects this garage shift. It is normally about 40 points higher than the UD CVI, or the "Normal N-D UD" CVI. I suspect your's will be OK, since if it was way off I'd expect you to get harsh engagements more frequently. But they could check it, and perhaps do a "quick-learn" procedure (using a scan tool) to reset all your CVI readings.

Thanks TransEngineer and others for your input on this issue. To answer your questions, whenever I get the hard shift the truck is completely stopped. The issue has not become prevalent lately and there really is no consistant pattern when it does it. It happened before the torque converter replacement and this is the first time it has happened after the replacement.

From some of the other posts on this thread sounds like some others are having the same issue. I have it happen the most going from reverse to forward. I guess at this point I will try to keep track of when it is happening to establish some type of pattern if I have it looked at by the dealer.

Thank you for everyones comments on this issue

#3 ·
I noticed mine sometimes does the same thing. It's not consistent either. Sometimes it happens going from park to reverse, park to drive, reverse to drive etc...Compared to my daily driver it's very noticeable.

I figured it was just the way the rear wheel drive cars felt when putting into gear. All my old Camaros and Firebirds did the same thing.

#6 ·
I noticed mine sometimes does the same thing. It's not consistent either. Sometimes it happens going from park to reverse, park to drive, reverse to drive etc...Compared to my daily driver it's very noticeable.

I figured it was just the way the rear wheel drive cars felt when putting into gear. All my old Camaros and Firebirds did the same thing.

Ditto, mine does that same thing.

#4 ·
About 20,000 miles ago, it was brought to my attention that my '09 Ram made a sort of a grinding noise going from Park to Reverse, almost like a standard shift does when the clutch is improperly adjusted.
I took it to the dealership & when the Service Writer was beside the truck, i shifted from Park to Reverse a few times & asked him what he thought. They replaced the driveshaft & it still does it. They requested more info from Dodge & they told them to tell me to keep driving it.
I have the Lifetime Drive Line Warranty that all '09s have, i also have the Lifetime Maximum Care Warranty. If it goes haywire, i am covered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.