DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummings fuel filter

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Rammit 
#1 ·
When I take my truck in for servicing and the Dodge dealer wants to change the fuel filter they want $100 to $150 to do it. They say it requires a lot of labour to replace the filter.

I took my truck into a Pioneer Lube location who did it in 3 minutes by simply opening the fuel filter chamber and removed old filter then put new fuel filter in , topped up the desiel fuel in the chamber and put the lid back on ($39.99).

Was this method not correct or does the dodge dealer just want to charge way to much ?

Any advise ?

#2 ·
Fuel Filter Replacement: The fuel filter is located
inside of the fuel filter housing.
a. Clean all debris from around canister.
b. Remove filter lid (1) using a socket. Attach
socket to large hex (2) on top of lid. Rotate
counterclockwise for removal. Remove O-ring.
Discard O-ring.
c. Remove filter element

INSTALLATION
Refer to maintenance schedules for recommended fuel filter replacement intervals.
1. Thoroughly clean inside of filter housing, filter cap and all related components.
2. Fuel Filter:
a. The engine has a self-priming low-pressure fuel system. Refer to Standard Procedures-Fuel System
Priming.
b. Install new O-ring to canister lid and lubricate O-ring with clean engine oil.
c. Position new element to canister lid. Place this assembly into canister by rotating clockwise.
d. Tighten cap to 34 N·m (25 ft. lbs.) torque. Do not overtighten cap.

It doesn't look like a real hard job to me . And this procedure is right from the factory shop manual .

#4 ·
Check out "Geno's Garage" for the price of filters and other misc. items for your diesel.
Jay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.