DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Rear suspension problems unstable on hwy bumps

20K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  thkbaron 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 1500 quad cab 4x4 hemi with 95,000 miles. The rear suspension on the hwy bounces all over when I hit bumps or go over bridges. It really doesn't feel like the shocks are bad as it drives fine on city streets. It's almost like it needs a bigger sway bar or pan hard bar is loose. Everything looks good and is tight. When I have weight in the bed it gets way worse! Is this a design problem with the new style coil suspension? Is there a good fix? I almost want to trade it in on a 2008 leaf spring truck.
Thanks for you help
Mike

#2 ·
i have an 09 hemi ram id say it has more body roll then any other truck ive ever had but that is prob because of the 4 link rear suspension if im not mistaken. the shocks may need replacing. one thing that you could do is pull the shock off and see how hard it is to compress. taking it off and putting it back on should only take you 20 min. it should be pretty firm. i may not have the best answer but its the first thing i would do.

#4 ·
I have to echo the others. Sounds like a shock issue. With 95K on them shocks, presuming they are original, it's time to change them. Folks don't realize just how out of shape and wicked bad a vehicle can get when the shocks start to go.

#5 ·
That and most people don't realize shocks are a wear-out item. they have a useful life. 100,000 miles is about it, less on larger vehicles like trucks.

#7 · (Edited)
I have 93,000 miles on my '09
it always has from 700 to 1068 pounds in the bed, with no one in the cab

I am definitely due for shocks & possibly brakes
just need a 1/2 day to get it done

#9 ·
Mine will bounce around also when a heavy load is in there. I'd look at shocks as well.

Keep in mind this is sort of an annoyance of the suspension geometry though, the axle will shift slightly left to right during suspension travel. So when you hit a bumpt the vehicle is moving forward but the axle/body move left/right of each other. This gives you that weird swaying feeling. I actually was on the highway cruising slow around 65mph the other week and a ram pulling a trailer passed me at about 75mph and he hit a bump right next to me and I watched the body vs rear axle and could actually see it moving side to side. Hard to explain but it's just the geometry of it.

As armyofone said air bags should help stabilize it more too. I have the airlift 1000 kit on mine and it does help a lot.

#10 ·
Long time ago a mechanic told me to use higher air pressure when towing. Sidewalls can flex if air pressure is low, introducing wobble.
He and I hauled firewood a lot, and he would actually put on his "working" wheels and tires. The tires were stiffer from having a lot of plys in the sidewalls and higher pressure, but there was NO wobble.

#11 ·
I swapped out my rear shocks at 29k. They were worn out. Pure pieces of junk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.