DODGE RAM FORUM banner

HIGH MILEAGE 318's!!!

136K views 166 replies 113 participants last post by  KRheude23 
#1 ·
Just wanna see whos all runnin those high mileage rams out there, i like to see who keeps on keepin on in there rams. :wavey:

Tell us watchya got dont have to be a 318, what oil your usin and what style or cab, options, and that sorts of stuff. :smileup:

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT quad cab 4x4 with a 318, 46re, and limited slip rear diff. with 264,000 miles!! WOOO!!! I use royal purple full synthetic with the k&n oil filter. I did the TB mod and slapped on a flowmaster. no problems besides resent wheel bearing sqeals from all the winter potholes on the michigan roads. :Racing:

WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE GUYS!

#3 ·
well thats a bummer driving is probably the only one of the two things i like to do

im 18 now, when i got my first vehicle wich was a chevy, my grandpa gave it to me for something to drive. a 1997 chevy ext cab 1500 2wd 5spd v6. that thing was the general lee of chevy's i put 40,000 miles on it in my first year of driving with my license.

#5 ·
My Magnum 5.2L/318cid just turned a mild 111,760 miles.

- High flow CAT
- High flow exhaust
- TB grind mod (only opposite sides of the IAC)
- Performance tranny cooler
- Heavy Duty water pump
- Bendix performance calipers, pads, and hoses
- BFGoodrich Commercial T/A's Load E
- RoadMaster Active Suspension Kit
- Autolite platinum plugs
- Performance ignition wires
- Performance coil

I'm a big believer in the TB grind mod. It has given 1.84 miles more per gallon or 48 miles more per tank full. I've only ground down the two TB barrels opposite of the IAC. Sort of like 1/2 moon barrel inlets. Some had reported that yes, more power and more MPG, but the noise of rushing air at idle is somewhat annoying. Doing only half the diameter has given power and MPG without the noise rushing sound of air.

Reactions: JNRW150318
#9 ·
The only way to go is a 360. 5.2's are one of the smallest v8's dodge has come out with. You could get it bored and stroked to a 390 which would give you a real nice increase but your looking at an average of $3,000-$4,000 for the total cost. Thats probably the only way you would get near the horses you want with a 5.2L.

#10 ·
Id have to agree with Nando, prolly have to get the 5.2 bored and go with even some heads to get those kinda numbers. id say an awesome top end kit would do the trick with that.

But for gas mileage i was getting 16 average in the fall then winter came around and was getting about 11. after the bitter cold started going away it started going back up. im back to about what it was at 14....i can get 16 driving it like im not even sitting in the driver seat, wich means no jack rabbit starts and barelly taking it over 2000 rpm's and driving 70 on the highway short distances.

But im pretty impressed with this trucks highway mileage. Since i did the TB mod and put an open face air cleaner on it gets a little over 20 mpg on the highway say like mine from toledo to lancing and back. :smileup:

#12 ·
99 ram larmaie slt 318, 140,000, oreileys 10-w-30(same manufacturer as valvoline but u dont pay for the name) mopar oil filters
custom stereo system
3.55 posi rearend
98 chrome 5 spoke wheels
hankook at/mt tires
bedliner,
mopar fog liht kit,
overload springs off f250 in back
brake controller
dark tint with black eyebrow
cat back dual w/ torpedopack
towing hitch
husky toolbox
heavy duty floormats

#14 · (Edited)
Had a 1981 D150, 318 with 727 trans, 4bbl Holley carb, dual exhaust, headers, bumped up cam and the odometer quit working somewhere around the 170K mark and that was in 1999, sold it in 2008. Never saw the track with it, so no real idea what the numbers would have been, but, much to the chagrin of my ex, saw my fair share of kills with it and I still miss that truck!!! Made a great sleeper since I never did anything to change the stock appearance, other than losing the grille and not replacing it or the hood ornament that someone else thought they needed more than I did. Ran whatever oil I could afford since I had a 9 qt. oil pan. I would have it still today, but my dad talked me into selling it after I bought my new truck. Anyhoo, had a lot of fun with it and I just couldn't kill it lol, it took the abuse like a champ! :smileup:

- Cajun

#15 ·
2000 Quad Cab 1500. original 318 with 248,000 miles. the last 50000ish has been with a 5 inch lift and 35s. runnin strong still. few intake mods, cold air and ram air, and castrol high mileage 10w30. gonna drive this 5.2 till she gives out, after all, shes made it this long for me, its the least i can do for her haha

#16 ·
I have a 99 ram 1500 4x4 short bed, with a limited slip rear diff, this truck always has gotten about 16mpg, now that I am running Amsoil, instead of Royal purple I am getting 18 to 20mpg's and I'm talking city driving. My truck has a little over 160 thousand miles on it. I live in the State of Maine where it is not always nice weather and I can tell you one thing, I woulden't own any other truck. My 318 even small pulls more then its fair share, along with giving me the confedence to go to Ny and back without a hicup. The only mods I have really done is my up country Rancharo suspention, and my Magnaflow exshaust system. I really say you should look into amsoil full synthetic its about 8 bucks a quart but has an oil life of 10,000 miles in which I change mine ever 8 thousand to be safe. 5w30 amsoil.

#17 ·
In the 2001 12-passenger B2500 Ram Van, the 5.2L/318 Magnum engine just rolled 113,000. In the past year, I've done more mods from reading the forums than the entire time I've had it. :)

The funny thing is, nobody knows that a full size van can pack that much power when they think taking off at a light they can get around me. LOL Sure some of the Ram Vans have the wimpy 3.9L, but the 5.2L/318cid Magnum turns heads.

#18 ·
318 runs like hell though i ve heard of so many people with 200,000 miles on them . wish i had more balls when i hit the gas but having a motor you know if you take care of will keep going and going is cool with me. i have magnaflow exhaust and a intake still slow but it sounds good

#19 ·
I had a 99 ram 1500 short box with a 318 with 312*** miles when it went... The motor had never seen any kind of tear down or rebuild... Only things I ever did were the fallowing

- JBA ceramic headers
- K&N intake
- Valvoline regular 10w30 motor oil every 3000 miles
- Mobil 1 oil filter at 3k as well
- Flushed the Rad every 45k miles
- Changed the valve cover gaskets at day one when I bought it when it had 89,219 miles
- Kept the rev's around 1,500-2,500 daily driven
- Went mudding once a month with it, and let it rev 4-5k for a couple secs

really about it.. think having a 5spd help prolong it's life.. what killed it was a wet road and a rookie driver who blew the motor.. I give mopar props for such a good motor tho!

#20 ·
97 ram 4x4 318 with 243k on it. just a flowmaster muffler out before the right rear tire a limited slip in the rear end and a K&N drop in airfilter. Its only now starting to show wear on the motor with it needing a valve job ... but still gets up and lays rubber when i want it to lol

#22 ·
155,xxx miles here :) just recently did quite a few mods, hughes fi air gap intake, k&n cai, flowmaster dual exhaust, new ignition parts, such as spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and a coil. truck is running like a champ now :) really has a lot more power in the upper rpm range now but dont push it over 2500 to often, mainly daily driving stay under 2500. Just recently put in royal purple oil, wanted to give it a try. I dont know if the temp guage is having issues or if my truck is really running that cool..when its been running for a bit the highest iv seen the temp guage get to has been just to the right of the 2nd white line in the picture. That seem odd to anyone? Also how did you like those jba headers? Iv really been considering getting some but they are pretttty pricey lol

Attachments

#24 ·
170 is fine for a ram, means ya motor is running very well, or its not to extreamly hot out! The JBA headers are worth every cent. They can be a pain in the but to install with the bolts ect but well worth your time, I found they sound very good, and I gained alot of low rpm and upper rpm torque and HP...

#25 ·
yeah maybe it is running at 170? haha its been 95 consistently here in houston lol well that is good to hear, I was kind of worried :) and glad to hear good things about the jba's, really wanna get me some but im a college student and having trouble finding a job because Ill be leaving home for school in about 2 months now, so not making much money on odd jobs :( but ill get them eventually hopefully haha

#27 ·
JBA's last in till the engine blew.... I think I had 140 k or so on them.. it was a very good investment.. another thing could be your temp guage is not reading right... pick up a hanyes manual and do a voltage test... only other ideas I have, I have an after market Autometer in mine lol