DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Best way to lower a 05-06 Ram 1500

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  GregInAtl 
#1 ·
I'm looking at buying an 05-06 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with 20 inch rims. The problem I have is that I need to park it in an underground parking garage with a 6'3" clearance. I want to temporarily lower the truck to fit as I will be moving and want to put it back to the stock height when I move.

Can anyone tell me the best way/kit to do this.

Thanks
Jason

G
#2 ·
How much do you need to lower it? Is it taller than 6'-3" now?

Do you have alternate parking available?

The real basic question here is how much do you need to lower it. That will dictate the method used.

G
#4 ·
I'm thinking the easiest way will be to remove a leaf or two in the rear and either shorten the stock springs up front (a cold cut - don't heat them up with a torch!) or replace them with a shorter set for now.

The spring work up front will be the most labor intensive.

But what to do here depends on how low he needs to go.

And he did note it's a 4X4. ;)

G
#6 ·
Well, that's a great idea Greg as long as he doesn't need more than an inch or two clearance.

We'll just wait and see what he has to say about how much lower he has to be. I wonder if he's measured the truck height yet.

#7 ·
I haven't bought the truck yet. But I want a 4X4 with 20 inch wheels.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Ram all 02-08's ranged from 75.7" (6'3") to 80.8 (6'73") assuming the tallest ones are the diesels, the truck would be around 6'5" so I would need to lower it at least 2 inches.

I have thought about using lowered spindles on the front. Not sure about the rear.

Also an option could be using lower profile tires.

Any quality opinions will be appreciated.

Jason

G
#8 ·
With a 20" wheel you could go to a 255 or 245 aspect tire but that would look very weird on a 4X4 truck. Plus, your handling would suffer to the point you'd hate driving it.

A drop spindle is a possibility if you can find one that works with the IFS and to drop the rear, you could remove some leafs from the rear springs.

So your maximum vertical clearance is 75" at the parking garage?

You might have to go with 17" wheels and a 265 aspect ratio tire. That would be an easier and cheaper solution.

When I lift my truck, I won't be able to go into the parking garage at work or pull into my garage but I'll live with it.

#12 ·
TAKE AIR OUT OF UR TIRES and see where that puts you if not try the same thing with smaller wheels

#13 ·
Well unless its a smoking deal for the truck orrr your current vehicle is on its last legs.... maybe you could wait till you move :4-dontknow:

I know you said you will be moving soon, depending on how long you have or your situation you could always wait. There are plenty of 4x4 Rams out there waiting for new owners.... just a thought.

Anyways take care and good luck.

#14 ·
I tellin you.... PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" fixed that fast!
Or, buy cheap steel stock wheels and do a smaller used crap tire for temp use

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.