DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Help please

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Quiet Lunatic 
#1 ·
2006 ram 1500 4.7
:4-dontknow::4-dontknow:
i have never experienced anything like this......i can be accelerating normally, truck shifts normally until about 50mph. once i hit 50mph, it's like it just gives out. it literally feels like it has run out of power to continue accelerating. any tips or advice?? also, what's the best thing to clean some really tough carbon deposits out of my valves??
many many thanks in advance

#4 ·
Got nothing to do with fuel pressure.
Check error memory with running engine after driving. Do not cut the engine off before, do not let AutoZone check the memory.
If there is nothing stored, check the psrameter.
Just a stupid question-is the tire pressure correct in all tires?
If not, the system notice a "spare" wheel and limits speed.
Please check before u take everything apart...

#5 ·
35lbs in each tire. I went to AAMCO and they put it on a big computer diagnostics and found cylinder 6 misfire and also a compression test. Thought it might be a tranny problem since the acceleration "levels out" at like 50mph unless I stomp the gas to the floor

#8 ·
Yeah run away from aamco! they couldnt diagnose a leaky radiator cap telling my buddy he needed a hole bunch of crap after having it for a week. He took it to me and i found it in 20 minutes...

Yeah take it to a good shop that specializes in diagnostics or to the dealer. To me, this sounds like a issue that the average DIY'er cant diagnose without a few expensive tools

#10 ·
You also wrote that u have soot on the valves. Means your gas mix is too rich.
Or/and u have a bad combustion.
This is what u have to look for.
Leave the fingers from cleaning additives. They destroy more than they help.
Check also the egr valve. Look for the error code.
Also check the valve for function. High soot can make it stick.
Then its possible that u have lack of power.
Your description can go in this direction.
If the valve sticks, get it out and clean it good with brake disk cleaner.
No matter what it is at the end-I might be wrong-can also be the map sensor-don't drive the vehicle in short distances. This is what kills the engine.
Check: map, maf, air intake temp sensor, crank sensor, vacuum system, intake system for keakage and read the parameters of the o2 sensors. Also the egr and how already mentioned the fuelfilter.
I believe the issue is in this direction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.