DODGE RAM FORUM banner

New Flowmaster Muffler

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  carbuilder 
#1 · (Edited)
Question about muffler?

Got a 40 series muffler w/ nothing after muffler on the 04 hemi. Its cat, pipe, muffler, and nothing after the duel out. Its LOUD, too loud!!! if I finish the duel's will that quiet it down? to where I can still talk on the phone? and roll the windows down?

#3 ·
My flowmaster was way too loud as well. After talking to some knowledgeable people on here I decided to try again this time with Magnaflow. I ordered the biggest straight body muffler I could find and I'm very pleased with the change. It's much quieter but still has a lil rumble to it. I would recommend a 24inch magnaflow muffler if you want it quieter.

#4 ·
I just picked up a 2011 RAM SLT with 5.7 Hemi. It has single side exhaust. Local shop will replace with a flowmaster 40 and 2 pipes out the rear for $260. The installer said it will sound great with the Hemi. I just don't want it to be too loud so I can't talk on phone etc. When it drops to ECO, will I get a different sound?

#7 · (Edited)
Most people on here will tell you to swap to the magnaflow of you don't want loud but still a nice tone and good sound at WOT. I have the flowmaster 40s muffler single in dual out and I like the sound. I'm young so apparently thats why I like loud. The MDS made my truck sound like a UPS truck, not good at all...so I turned it off. You can't disable yours yet because the tuner hasn't been released...yet (end of the month I believe). It's loud, but when I roll the windows up I can talk on the phone and my passengers fine. and on the highway it's not bad at all. Did a 700 mile trip and didn't bother me a bit.

Oh and it cost me $475 for my muffler replacement with my exhaust guy so $260 seems great haha. I guess make sure he uses stainless steal so it lasts and doesn't rust out. That might change the price?

#6 ·
dump it right after the muffler, it'll make it quieter....lmao jk jk but seriously you shouldnt have gotten a flow master if you didnt want loud...i had a super 44 and loved it at wot but in the morning on my way to work, it was so LOUD, swapped for a maggy 14!!

#8 ·
If you finish the duals it will quiet it down immensely, especially in the cabin. I'd do that first then swap the muffler later if its still too loud for you. This is coming from someone that's had about 15 mustangs with every type of exhaust setup imaginable lol. Dumped flows are loud. Tailpipes after flows = not so loud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.