DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Some TBs require a voltage range calibration, basically just a 100% open and a fully closed setting then the computer scales it accordingly.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB
Trim Level: Express
Color: Bright white
Rep:435
Outlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really nice

All you guys talking crap need to try a tb before you say they don't work. I bought a 87mm from Matt at moes and it nets me better low end, better high end plus 1.5 mpg better highway.

So either buy one or quit saying they don't work.

P.S. Matt at moes offers money back if not satisfied.........

Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1769
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Kurtis,

Thanks for your write up.
It seems very well written and almost too good....LOL (dont mean anything negative by this just )

I can understand the science behind this based on reading this. Typically threads this long do not grab my attention but YOURS did

This part is not directed to you Kurtis, rather those members reading this thread.

Now many of you on these boards know, I have a lifted truck. Everything I did slowed the truck down and turned it into a dog. During the entire process I have been trying to get my truck back to stock truck feel and power and MPGs
Of course it cost money to do this, but guys who lift their truck need to know that your MPGs will stick but also understand what you need your truck for and what you hope to get in the end.
Now I did gears (4.56) to move these damn tires, Its almost a must for lifted guys who still want the stock or better than stock like drivability and pull. My truck definitely improved. I also played with tires (MT's vs At's and then 37's vs 35's) to get to MY sweet spot of how I want my truck to drive.
I want a lifted truck, but still want the truck to be able to boogie and I also want MPG's when I cruise with the family.
I am there!

Let me get back on topic

Throttle Body
Every time I purchase something I take the time to do my research.
I HATE wasting money and I am sure many of you feel the same way.
But I am anal about researching to come to conclusion that what I buy is good and fits what I need.

I strongly believe in reading 'real world feedback' and Moe's TB's had nothing but GREAT feedback and seemed to come up a lot under google searches.
Even read feedback of guys switching from Fastmans 84mm, 85mm to Moe's 85mm/87mm and noticing improvements.
So I reached out to maybe 12-15 members who run the Moe's TB and ran others prior in either 85/87 and all love it. A few actually have real dyno numbers from before and after and etc, etc.
Im very hesitant in making purchases even though it may seem otherwise but he has a policy that if anyone was not happy with the results, he would take it back for a full refund.
So why not, I re confirmed with him (Matt) prior to my purchase and grabbed one.
Great guy by the way

Some of the research I found and would like to share with all members here when I compared the top choices for TB's along with Moe's and what led me to Moe's

On their (Moe's) 87mm, they opened it up to 87mm at the front of the blade, and then use a very gradual taper on the back of the blade so that it matches the intake manifold. If you went any bigger on the back of the blade, then you would lose velocity and it would also require you to port your manifold to match the TB. That taper is what increases airspeed and shows the gains in throttle response. Also, the reason why their TB's don't require custom tuning is because they dont touch any material at the blade. No high idle codes or any of that mess that many guys get with the BBK TB (I read countless threads on this). All together, they developed a way to offer the most airflow without any driveability or tuning issues to worry about.
All in all, the TB does work, and is not a restriction on airflow.
This is not to say it cannot be custom tuned....
I have also reached out the Hemifever as I wanted a custom tune (but I will now do it locally due to what I will be getting done) and he of course asks what mods you have. I mentioned what I had and this is along the lines of what Sean (Hemifever) said...he has been very impressed with the gains that the 87mm TB has been showing. He is doing custom tunes for many on the forums, and he even told me that he sent me a PM to Matt (1-2 weeks ago) saying how much better our trucks are responding with their 87mm TB. That says alot when the guy writing the tune approves of the part

Here is my real world experience on this.

I purchased and installed my 85mm (Moe's TB). Drove around for 20-25 miles and noticed my truck (remember, Im lifted with heavy wheels) felt lighter on its feet from stop to go, throttle response was better and I wasn't too sure if this was just me or was it actually for real.
Later that day I asked myself why did i just not go with the 87mm for the minimal increase in $$. Asked a few members here if they were interested and it was gone (to another member here, who may or may not see this thread).

Boxed and packed up the TB. The following day dropping it off at the postal office I noticed the lag of the truck and to my dismay what I felt the day prior was in fact not a figment of my imagination, rather it was actually true.

Fast forward 2 weeks later.....
I received my 87mm TB and reinstalled that and I did notice once again what I felt. Was it in an increase from the previous 85mm? That I do not know as I did not dyno it, nor removed the 85mm prior to installing the 87mm. But what I felt a few weeks ago with the 85mm was yet again there.

Now, I went with the 87mm because of what I will be doing over the coming 2-4 weeks.
But I can assure you my truck did not feel any slower IN ANY WAY
There are many members running both the 85/87mm TBs

This is my feedback on the purchase I made of the 85mm and 87mm Moe's TB.
I am a firm believer of sharing positive feedback and thought I would do that here.
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!

Last edited by fastNugly @ BP; 02-01-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:29 PM
I push the skinny pedal

CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrambo497 View Post
All you guys talking crap need to try a tb before you say they don't work. I bought a 87mm from Matt at moes and it nets me better low end, better high end plus 1.5 mpg better highway.

So either buy one or quit saying they don't work.

P.S. Matt at moes offers money back if not satisfied.........
Who said they don't work, and nobody has talked crap about any brands, get over yourself. Matt's TBs still fall into the 80mm category due to their butterfly diameter, and as such they fall into the stock-moderate range that I posted about. With the port profile you get a nice velocity increase over the length of the whole body and the throat acts like more of a velocity stack than the stock throat does. The whole point of that long thread was the need to maintain flow velocity at lower rpm, which is what matt's do quite well from everything I've read.

Now if you need more air volume, such as with the moderate-heavy builds then you can not get away with a ported throttle body, irregardless of port profile because the butterfly itself becomes the restriction.

And if you must know, in my builds I have gone through 2 fastman of different sizes, a bbk 85mm, and just got a nitrous ported 90mm arrington, so tell me the vast range of aftermarket TBs you've experienced.

Fastnugly, a well worded post, I have talked with Matt about his TBs since posting this, and the same principles apply if you look at the intent of the post. No where did I say ported TBs are garbage, what I did say was educate yourself on the product and match it to your build, which is what you did.

Last edited by CdnoilRAM; 02-01-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 RAM
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Bright White
Rep:312
Chris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the rough

Fastman's 84mm does not have a stock butterfly and I just put it on and it did help but like you said its not a game changer but I nice compliment for my other mods. so thanks for the right up.
K&N 63cai\Fastman 84mm\BT catch-can\e-fan\180 t-stat\Flowmaster super44\Belltech 2"-4" 964sp\BT custom shifter\20% tint\light blue racing stripes\BD pillar pod\Diablo trinity\Hemifever custom tune\two Memphis 10" subs\custom ported box\Memphis 600amp\Weathertech techliner\MBRP 5" tips\ ARH 1 7/8 long tube headers
Old 02-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Bully's Performance

fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
Fastnugly, a well worded post, I have talked with Matt about his TBs since posting this, and the same principles apply if you look at the intent of the post. No where did I say ported TBs are garbage, what I did say was educate yourself on the product and match it to your build, which is what you did.
No offense taken here at all.....
Matt is a standup guy and would hate for him to lose a sale because of members fear.

At the the end of the day, most or all members here do mild to borderline moderate builds and his fits the ticket very well.
But that being said, there is nothing wrong with what you wrote.

Just would hate to have members read further into to this as you can see by some of the comments it is being taken like ported TB's are bad!

But you clarified and said to know what you are doing and need!
That goes the same for many mods

S&B CAI vs Vararam, Shorty headers vs Long Tubes, 35" vs 37" tires, 4.10 vs 4.56, 2800 vs 3000 stall converter.....list goes on and on.

All members just need to know what they want and need and read feedback from other members too.
I find forums key for this. Its not BS feedback, its real world experience.

But again, my response was not directed to you at all
Old 02-01-2013, 03:14 PM
I push the skinny pedal

We be cool Andrew!

I've just been receiving lots of pms on the subject, some not so nice, and while I can't use ported TBs on my build because of the volume restriction, they will definatly be a difference on a properly ported one as long as it maintains flow velocity.

I suggested the fm 84mm to chris because it suited his build best with the mods he has and it's matched perfectly to the intake manifold diameter which will prevent a lip that can happen with an 85mm.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
We be cool Andrew!
Nah, never had issues with you man!
Heck, I like reading your posts man, you def have some knowledge and as I dabble in this power realm now, I have learnt alot from your posts...

So heck yea, we are cool!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:06 PM
I push the skinny pedal

And if anyone's wondering, it's a canadian thing where we must apologize several times especially if we didn't do anything wrong.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
And if anyone's wondering, it's a canadian thing where we must apologize several times especially if we didn't do anything wrong.
Yes....true story ^^^^