DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Quad 4x4
Color: Dark Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
howln is on a distinguished road
Default No brake controller?

I just purchased a 2013 Ram Quad Hemi Sport 4x4; when I enquired about a brake controller I was told it was not an option, and could not be installed on the sport. I occasionally tow just over 6,000lbs, so the controller is a safety issue for me. Since the running gear is basically the same on all of the models, I don't understand why this is not available on the sport models. As much as I like the truck so far, had I known this before I may have chosen a different truck. I know there are aftermarket controllers, had one on my 2004, but after spending this much money would like to have the factory install. Any information and/or contacts at Chrysler would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 CC 5'7" Rambox
Trim Level: Longhorn/8 Speed/Air
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:17
Ford Apostate is on a distinguished road

According to the order guide, the trailer brake controller is available on all trims. If it's about something important, independently verify whatever the salesman is telling you. In general, salesmen aren't a reliable source of information.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

All trims can have the trailer brake, not all that did not come with one have the connectors under the dash to install them afterwards. There are a few threads about this, mostly with the 2010-2012 models, my 2012 did not come with both cables needed to install the OEM brake controller, I only had one, bought the second cable and linked it up under the dash, installed the OEM unit and voila, it was all good and working, even if the Dealer said it can't be done. So do a bit of Research, I am almost positive it will be the same thing for the 2013. Also, if you have the Evic, you will need the dealer to config the ECU for it, it will still work without doing that but apparently it gives you control on the brake force via the EVIC instead of leaning down to do it on the break controller.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:11
Kman521 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by howln View Post
I just purchased a 2013 Ram Quad Hemi Sport 4x4; when I enquired about a brake controller I was told it was not an option, and could not be installed on the sport. I occasionally tow just over 6,000lbs, so the controller is a safety issue for me. Since the running gear is basically the same on all of the models, I don't understand why this is not available on the sport models. As much as I like the truck so far, had I known this before I may have chosen a different truck. I know there are aftermarket controllers, had one on my 2004, but after spending this much money would like to have the factory install. Any information and/or contacts at Chrysler would be greatly appreciated.
Did your truck come with a hitch and does it have the trailer connections on the rear bumper?? I know there are images on the net that show the 7 and 4 pin connectors on the bumpers of the Sport. If you have those connectors you should be able to have the factory one installed.
A lot of dealers say they aren't available because Dodge have not put out an accessory kit for them yet but I had one installed in my 13 SLT by having them order the parts separately for me.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....807#post993807
Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie CC 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie CC 4X4
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:11
smokey988 is on a distinguished road

The TRAILER BRAKE CONTROL Code: XHC is available on the Sport model.

Guys were talking about this in a thread a few days back. Have a look...

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=126886
Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 RAM
Trim Level: sport
Rep:10
panzar07 is on a distinguished road

I was able to order a trailer brake on my new sport. I just ordered it two weeks ago with the 8 speed and the order went through. My brother in-law has a 2012 and the dealer installed a factory trailer brake a few months after he had the truck. I would think that a factory brake could be installed on a 2013 if it could on a 2012
Old 02-06-2013, 01:04 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Rep:71
topgun will become famous soon enough

Go to the above link. They have the part numbers and details on how to add one to your truck in there.