DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, funny you should ask, I got an email from kevin Brown of support at Bully Dog just this morning and he said that you can run the tuner with the standard tune for E85 with no issues, They are uncertain as yet if you can with the premium tune. Me personally I would say it would work because E85 has an Octane around 96 and it burns cooler then premium gas also is even more difficult to cause detonation than regular gas. Many use custom tunes in race cars while running E85 and E90, it cost a lot less than racing fuel and can product about the same power if tuned correctly, but for the sake of being careful, if you run E85, use the standard Tune.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:23
Rebelsfr3 is on a distinguished road

could i cause potential damage if i used the incorrect octane with the wrong tune. i figured i would just take a hit in performance.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
could i cause potential damage if i used the incorrect octane with the wrong tune.
Yes and no. Yes using too low of an octane for the particular tune makes detonation/preignition more likely(this will damage the engine), however the engine has knock sensors to detect detonation/preignition which will retard timing to avoid damage.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly what sean said, your best bet is use what they tell you to with the tune you are using. Like when in Rome, do as the Romans do. If they say, 91+ for a tune, you can fill up with 91 - 94 with no issues, the standard tune is 85+ and the premium tune is 91+, not hard to get that type of gas all over the place.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:40 PM

OK for those who are waiting to find out how the 4.7L responds with the premium tune and 93 Octane fuel on the Bully Dog Hemi + tuner, I can only tell you that when I first put the tune in I was like, hmmmm, this does not seem to pull as much as the Standard tune, so I drove around to see if I could feel some differences. One thing I notices is the transmission shifted way less, as if it did not have to down shift because the engine was pushing ample and did not need to. So I booted around town for a while "I still had the Traction control" active on the truck, so after about a half hour I was at red light and when it turned green I pushed on the gas, not full stomp but about say 3/4 and the back wheel started spinning, and you could hear the traction control beating away, let off a bit as she pushed away. Got to the highway on ramp and floored it, wow, you could feel it, 100mpg in no time and had to back off but felt like it just wanted to keep going. So like when I install the Standard tune, it took a few days of driving around for it to sort of wake up the truck and seems the same for the premium. I really like the feel of the premium tune on the fact that the transmission does not want to play back and forth all the time the standard was like this also but seems even better with the premium tune. Hope everyone understands what I am talking about, its hard to describe what we feel and we all feel our own way.

I also looked in the unit for where to adjust the transmission shift points but could not find it, so I will contact Austin the guy who told me you could adjust them now and find out what happened to them LOL
Old 02-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 RAM
Trim Level: SLT 4x4 MEGA CAB
Color: GRANITE CRYSTAL
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:10
jpro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
OK for those who are waiting to find out how the 4.7L responds with the premium tune and 93 Octane fuel on the Bully Dog Hemi + tuner, I can only tell you that when I first put the tune in I was like, hmmmm, this does not seem to pull as much as the Standard tune, so I drove around to see if I could feel some differences. One thing I notices is the transmission shifted way less, as if it did not have to down shift because the engine was pushing ample and did not need to. So I booted around town for a while "I still had the Traction control" active on the truck, so after about a half hour I was at red light and when it turned green I pushed on the gas, not full stomp but about say 3/4 and the back wheel started spinning, and you could hear the traction control beating away, let off a bit as she pushed away. Got to the highway on ramp and floored it, wow, you could feel it, 100mpg in no time and had to back off but felt like it just wanted to keep going. So like when I install the Standard tune, it took a few days of driving around for it to sort of wake up the truck and seems the same for the premium. I really like the feel of the premium tune on the fact that the transmission does not want to play back and forth all the time the standard was like this also but seems even better with the premium tune. Hope everyone understands what I am talking about, its hard to describe what we feel and we all feel our own way.

I also looked in the unit for where to adjust the transmission shift points but could not find it, so I will contact Austin the guy who told me you could adjust them now and find out what happened to them LOL
Thanks for the write up Asur! Yeah man...shift point is BIG to me. If there is a way to adjust that I AM SOLD! It's one thing if I am always heavy on the throttle and you can't hardly notice the shifting but driving in the city or uphill is annoying as heck. Its like driving a manual tranny that shifts from 1 to 4 and when you give it a lil gas it down shifts to 2, or something like that haha but you know what I mean Lol
Old 02-07-2013, 02:27 PM

Response from Bully Dog on the Shift points for the Transmission

Email I sent: Last week when I was talking to Austin in Support, I asked him about Transmission shift points and he told me that you can now adjust the shift points in the Hemi+ unit. But for the life of me, I cannot find where in the menu to do that.

Thanks for your time and help

Al

Response from Bully Dog:
Yes, You select it when you are installing the downloader so you would have to uninstall the tuner and then reinstall it and it will ask you when you are reinstalling it if you want to modify the shift points.

So looks like I would need to uninstall and re-install it but I love how it shifts right now.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:58 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:20
cody0707 is on a distinguished road

With the standard tune what kind of MPG increase could I expect? How about the premium tune over stock, how is the MPG effected?

Is bullydog the only ones with a programmer out for our engines?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody0707 View Post
With the standard tune what kind of MPG increase could I expect? How about the premium tune over stock, how is the MPG effected?

Is bullydog the only ones with a programmer out for our engines?
Bully Dog is the only Tuner that will work on the 4.7l 2012 Ram 1500 for now. Others will follow eventually.

as for fuel economy, you can read this.

http://www.bullydog.com/economy.php