DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-05-2009, 06:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Power Wagon
Trim Level: Power Wagon
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
armyrgr is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust Idea...opinions needed.

whats going on everyone. well heres what i've been thinking since I like the tips that come stock on my truck. thinking to just get the stock mufflers removed and replaced with some flowmasters. What would be the pros and cons of just replacing the mufflers and not doing a full system?
Sponsored links
Old 11-05-2009, 06:32 AM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Your truck has the MDS . I've heard alot of people talk about the way these trucks sound like once you change out the exhaust . Hopefully someone will give you some advice on what to do and what not to do . Your ultimate choice , if your not to worried about gas mileage would be to turn off the MDS with your Predator then you could do whatever you want . I'm not sure if your tailpipes have resonators in them . But that too is another option you can play with . Remove them or or leave them alone . I myself like the sound of the chambered exhaust . Heres a clip with a Jeep SRT8 with chambered mufflers . . Good luck with whatever choice you make . Let us know what you've done . Talk to ya soon . Come home safe . Tom
Old 11-05-2009, 07:30 AM

thanks, i don't know why i didn't think of this, but heres another option. i'm thinking now to just do a full flowmaster exhaust but just have the shop that puts it on take the stock tips off and put on the flowmaster pipe. i really like the way the stock tips look under the new rear bumber... what do yall think?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:46 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 5.7L HEMI
Trim Level: Big Horn, Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:47
CHILLZ HEMI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CHILLZ HEMI

Ive heard that the flowmaster set-up is the worst for the RAMs with MDS...It makes it sound raspy when your cruising down the highway...
Old 11-05-2009, 07:59 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Crystal Black
Rep:65
rebel2thegrave will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to rebel2thegrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILLZ HEMI View Post
Ive heard that the flowmaster set-up is the worst for the RAMs with MDS...It makes it sound raspy when your cruising down the highway...

This isn't always true, it depends on what Flowmaster series mufflers you have as well as you're CAT-back setup. I have heard some MEAN Hemi RAM's with Flowmasters on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyrgr View Post
thanks, i don't know why i didn't think of this, but heres another option. i'm thinking now to just do a full flowmaster exhaust but just have the shop that puts it on take the stock tips off and put on the flowmaster pipe. i really like the way the stock tips look under the new rear bumber... what do yall think?
I take it you have the stock dual exhaust that came with new 4th-Generation Rams? Is it true dual exhaust or a single in/dual out muffler?
You're right about keeping the stock tips (at least that's what I think you mentioned), they look great blended in with that rear bumper on the new RAMs.
But let me know what series mufflers you're thinking about putting on there, as well as what is the current exhaust setup on your truck.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:11 AM

hey rebel, to be honest man, i'm in Iraq right now and don't really know what the setup is. the exhaust is stock from dodge. its most likely one in, and then two out. i'm looking at getting the super 44's for it. what do i need to do?!?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Crystal Black
Rep:65
rebel2thegrave will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to rebel2thegrave

Try and see if someone back home will crawl underneath your truck and check to see what the exhaust setup is, as well the pipe size entering the muffler. We'll need to know this before going much further.

Find that out for now, then we'll go from there.

Here's the link to the Flowmaster Super 44's for now. I'd go with the Stainless Steel personally, it's only a few bucks more and will hold up better.
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/sh...x&cPath=34_218
Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3225
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be worried about the sound when the MDS kicks in with the 44s. Another guy in my condo complex has then and he says it sounds like a lawnmower ricer when it's in MDS. I was doing research when I bought my cat-back for something that compensates for it and the upper end exhausts do. I got the borla dual out and I've never once heard a change in tone when MDS is on or off. Corsa and i believe gibsons makes kits that attenuate the higher pitch of the MDS as well. They are a bit more $$ but I for one don't ever want to sound like a civic...
Old 11-05-2009, 11:59 AM

borla huh? never heard of it going on a dodge ram before. prolly because this is my first ram forum. but for whatever reason, i wouldn't think that with the super 44's it would do the rice burner tune. Also, with my truck the fuel saver light never comes on. is it suppose too? i've got a yamaha R6 and don't want my truck sounding like it. Can anyone tell us the sizes of the 09' "dual" exhaust on the sport crewcabs? need to know the size going in the muffler and the size going out. thanks.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:07 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3225
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I know a couple of guys around town that have the borla. Maybe we just have more $$ than brains The fuel saver light should come on if you're not stomping on the gas every 5 minutes when you're at about 5km or doing constant speeds on the highway.