DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Bringer is on a distinguished road
Default Hauling Capacity Question

I checked out the ram website and figured out the hauling capacity for my truck (~1600 lbs). Then I got to thinking. Last year I filled up my bed with some compost for my garden, and I drove it home (about 10-15 minutes) without even thinking about the weight. The rear end sagged down a few inches, but everything else seemed fine. I just took it slow.

I'm guessing I had about 2 cubic yards of compost in the bed, and I think that can weigh over 2000 lbs depending on moisture.

Is there a possiblity that I may have damage my suspension in any way? It's been a year, and I haven't noticed any issues.

P.S. I don't plan on doing this again.
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Gray
Rep:15
BoosTT is on a distinguished road

Not really any chance for damage. Ofcourse there is some safty factor margin in the payload figure. If you were over 800 lbs I would be more concered.

Its not uncommon for 3/4 ton trucks to go over their payload on a normal basis. The truck was not designed for it though and likely handles like crap and could damage something.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:58 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

It's very doubtful that infrequent short hauls with the bed or towed load slightly overweight will do any damage to any pickup. While it may be a safety issue as it impacts braking performance and/or handling, it's probably not going to be a noticeable service issue. Over time with consistent overloaded operation, you probably will see accelerated wear in the drivetrain ranging from the transmission/differential all the way down to the u-joints in the driveshaft...not to mention brake wear and just about everything else of consequence. Short duration trips with slight overloads are well within the realm of possibility for most any good pickup. Safety for braking and handling should be of bigger concern.

I live in farming/ranching country. Some of my neighbors use their 1/2 to 1-ton pickups like rented pack mules with little love or care, and they do this on a fairly consistent basis. I see them going by my house toting or pulling ridiculous loads from one section of their property to another location that they work...sometimes miles away. I've talked to them about their equipment service or failures, and they say they have almost none that can be related to the loads they're carrying/pulling. And I see them driving these same trucks for quite a few years before selling or trading...and this is among the three major U.S. brands. Oddly I see hardly any Tundras or Titans being used by these folks, and I haven't asked them why...at least as far as the gas engine trucks are concerned.

Again, short term, short trip slight overloading doesn't seem to be a big issue except in the area of handling/braking safety.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 2500 CTD; 6.4 Ordered
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Western Brown
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

If your rear end only sagged a few inches with coil springs, I bet you didn't have 2000 lbs! You didn't hurt a thing.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:10
fxnytro17 is on a distinguished road

Not a dodge but our work truck is a 2011 GMC 2500 HD with a 6.0L gas(I think) and we were planning on getting another truck perferrable a 1/2 ton. so we decided to weight all the tools in the back for the round about weight to be carrying around in the pan all the time. we weighed about 2100LBS of wrenches, impacts, etc,etc, plus the actual gangboxs.
The truck is just about level and handles well, never had a hitch yet with 35000 kms on the road.
I know im talking about a GMC so imagine what you could do with a Dodge lol