DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 99 dodge ram
Color: red/silver
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
wildboyzracing is on a distinguished road
Default Complete engine makeover

i have a 99 1500 4x4 with a 318 and a 5speed and a set of 305/75/16 all terrains. i have kept it maintained and have fresh cat with single in dual out flowmaster. the truck has lots of power but is slower than i would like. i usually enforce a two race rule to all the rice burners who pull up beside me and want to race because i have racing stickers on the back glass(that is when they run off and leave me they have to stop and tie up so i can gain my composure again as i drag their little car around the parking lot). I am a believer of doing things right the first time, so when i got the idea of building the motor i decided that i wanted lots of power. i have thought about supercharging it with a cam and tuning it to match but im not sure what all is on the market. i would like to build a 350-400+hp motor that has good torque and durability. any info would help.
Sponsored links
Old 08-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Stroker motor would meet those requirements. 408 stroker...
Old 08-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

i want to keep my ac and all original motor accessories. is the 408 a complete swap or can i build it out of the 318 block. where can i go to get more info on the 408?
Old 08-26-2009, 02:08 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

I think you would need a 360 to make the 408. But you would retain all accessories that way...
Old 08-26-2009, 04:25 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

408 cubic inches of screamin mopower !
Old 08-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

ya i found specs for the 408 and it requires a 360 block with a little modifying to the block itself new rods and pistons but the accessories remain in the same location. will be good to upgrade to better flowing aluminum heads and high flow water pump. got to do more research cuz the ones i have found are carbedand i want to keep fuel injection. the only other issue is i have found none with forced induction.(i just like the idea of a supercharger) also i got to figure what cam and what size injectors to use to best match. there is a lot to consider and although i am keeping the stock 318 i dont want to have to put it back in. some specs of a base 408 will put me at almost 600hp and 500ft/lb of torque thanks for the help guys ill keep you posted as the build continues
Old 11-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

dodgeram150 is on a distinguished road

for the 318 u can get the 390 stroker kit off of hughes thats a good boost of power without changeing ur engine then put some 1.7 rockers and a comp cam in it i think ull be able to rape the popcorn machines
Old 11-02-2009, 11:15 PM
erm

A 408 stroker is based on the 360 Magnum LA engine. You can use your accessory drives, stock fuel injection (but it's recommended you go to the 360 injectors) and with a custom PCM flash, it's easy to achieve 400+ HP with a relatively mild cam. It's almost a direct bolt in. You can even use your stock transmission and flexplate.

I'm looking into that particular motor right now. I have to keep it pretty mild as I have to pass emissions here.

One builder I am talking to can also build the motor to work with forced induction, or so he says.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

its been a while since i have posted anything on my build. it has been delayed for a while. i have kept up my researching though which gets more interesting the deeper i go. The only thing you have to do to the block is bore 30 over and notch the bottom of the cylinders a little for rod clearance. i have found many rotating assemblies for a decent price. the come with forged rods and pistons and a cast crank. i dont know about a cast crank over a steel though as i want this motor to last through the punishment it will receive. any opinions? also the kit im looking at says it will run 10.1 compression with 64cc heads which is what im looking for. does anyone know what cc heads are on a stock 360? when i can find some info on the heads i can move on to the valve-train since although these motors create great power at low rpms i want to get higher rpms and have it last. all the research i have done says that the valve train is what limits the power at higher rpms. i also still have a lot of research to do regarding air flow (porting the heads, intake selection, throttle body, h-pipe exhaust, converter or not, etc) not to mention which supercharger. i have found many that bolt on next to the alternator and run off of another belt.they look great under the hood too. a rough estimate i beleive i can build this for around 8 grand which is fine by me although i cant just drop 8gs out of my pocket right now. so for now im going junkyard diving in search of a good 360 and then start buying things peice by peice. Hopefully i can put this beast in by late 2010 or mid 2011. oh yeah by my estimates this beast should push out over 900 HORSES!!!