DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:35
Zixxer is on a distinguished road

Sweet, I loved it...totally amazed at how great it worked on the back country roads.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:37 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram CrewCab
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
merve04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve04 View Post
Maybe i should of ordered from there, i got some hid's locally, omg nothing but problems. they work when the truck is in accessory, but when i start it, the fogs go out instantly and the low beams flicker till they go out as well. I went back to the guy who sold them, i got some harness' with built in relay, well i just tried the fogs, they turned on and i could still see the slightest flicker but the relay just buzzed crazy amounts.. Is there something im missing for dodge? on my F150 it was plug and plug no problems..
Incase this situation happens to someone. I got some canbus adapters, cheap and problem is solved. So happy to have HIDs again.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 AM

Yo Nadz - Ok, my kits came in this weekend and I pulled the instructions, all set to go and I literally seem to have the exact same setup for main lamps and fogs. Now I know they are both 55W 6000k but when going through the order options we pay more for the main lamps because of the projector bulb and HIR2 but there's no difference in the bulbs I have for main or fogs...and all four have silver capping on the ends. Do you remember the same? The only difference is the sticker on the lamps in one kit reference the 9012 is a variation of the 9006 bulb...which I already knew.

I sent a note to Retro Solutions so hopefully I'll get some insight from them or you. I don't want to install until I'm at least sure the main bulbs are correct and the silver capping is/is not correct...which again is odd, why or what does the capping service do that would be visible in comparison? Unless of course all of mine were accidently capped.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:25 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Only your Fog lights should be capped, Bulb capping is generally used in the fog lights to help reduce glare. Take a look at your stock bulbs - the end has a coating or covering on them to help disperse light back into the reflector bowls. Low Beams are not capped, your low beams already have a reflector cap in the housing, Headlights typically have this metal cover that hangs in front of the bulb for this reason (directs the light back to the reflectors). In the fogs, when a HID bulb is used, there is no cap, cover, coating, etc on the bulb, Capping Fob bulbs helps direct that light back to the reflectors - and helps to reduce glare. High beams are not capped in the housing, but some have capped bulbs and other don't, Glaring is usually not an issue with High beams, since you will not keep the high beams on when facing on-coming traffic, unless you have Dual headlamps and not Quads, then both the Low and High beam are on a single light bulb and are located in the low beam part of the housing that has a Reflector cap as part of the housing, Bulb will not be capped for those.

Last edited by Asur; 02-17-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:15 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Rep:13
s1000rrhp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve04 View Post
Incase this situation happens to someone. I got some canbus adapters, cheap and problem is solved. So happy to have HIDs again.
I use canbus as well... they are well built and easy plug and play.. use pro version... were did u find in edmonton.. use core customs in calgary.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Rep:13
s1000rrhp is on a distinguished road

I used a 9006 bulb in projector and also in fogs.. it works fine....
no capping used and it works fine... but also running 35 w set up. 55 w find
Is not worth the problems it may cause.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:31 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000rrhp View Post
I used a 9006 bulb in projector and also in fogs.. it works fine....
no capping used and it works fine... but also running 35 w set up. 55 w find
Is not worth the problems it may cause.
you can put non capped bulbs in your Fog lights, it will work fine, its the same bulb, just with non capped bulbs in a Fog unit will cause more Glare for on-coming traffic than Capped bulbs.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:43 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Snow White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:160
Yo Nadz has a spectacular aura aboutYo Nadz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zixxer View Post
Yo Nadz - Ok, my kits came in this weekend and I pulled the instructions, all set to go and I literally seem to have the exact same setup for main lamps and fogs. Now I know they are both 55W 6000k but when going through the order options we pay more for the main lamps because of the projector bulb and HIR2 but there's no difference in the bulbs I have for main or fogs...and all four have silver capping on the ends. Do you remember the same? The only difference is the sticker on the lamps in one kit reference the 9012 is a variation of the 9006 bulb...which I already knew.

I sent a note to Retro Solutions so hopefully I'll get some insight from them or you. I don't want to install until I'm at least sure the main bulbs are correct and the silver capping is/is not correct...which again is odd, why or what does the capping service do that would be visible in comparison? Unless of course all of mine were accidently capped.
The 9112 is the HEADLIGHT bulb. The sticker is right, it's a "variation" of the 9006 bulb or also known as HIR2. The biggest difference in the headlight and fog light kits is the HARNESS. The harness for the headlights is a little more complex, has a relay, and a capacitor built into it. This is what eliminates flickering. The fog harness is smaller.

As for capping, did you request it on both the headlights and fogs? Or was it Retro's mistake?? I would definitely use the capped 9006's for the fogs. Even with them capped there is still a substantial amount of flare. No capping would probably be even worse. I used UNCAPPED HIR2's in the headlights cause there is no need for it. I really dont think it matters if your's are capped though. Shouldn't effect the projector output.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:45 PM

Ok, all the bulbs appear capped...which on the 2013 is a single projector bulb so I'm ASSUMING the capping is suppose to be there to reflect back. I just find it odd that there's a price difference between main and fogs...less the slightly modified tab on the main bulb to fit 9012 housing (Anyone can do the mod to a 9006 bulb)...it's all identical. Now granted, it's $7 net difference in price, so I'm not concerned but at first glance it would very easy to confuse the setup, waste time researching, etc.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:48 PM

Yo Nadz - thanks, it definitely appears that my 9012s (modified 9006s) are capped...there's a silver metal cap on the bulbs. I did not select that option so now I'm stuck waiting to confirm if that bulb should have been capped or not before installing.

Now my truck said Bi-Function Halogen Projector Headlamps” so perhaps capped bulbs are the right ones? I assume you have the identical setup...thus my confusion on the bulbs they sent.

I hate to tear this down, install, and have to take it apart to switch them back out. It's 35 degrees outside so perhaps it is sign to delay :-)

Last edited by Zixxer; 02-17-2013 at 01:52 PM.