DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:195
viperr817 has a spectacular aura aboutviperr817 has a spectacular aura about

First i will say, this problem sucks. Second i will ask, how many of u guys have friends that drive fords? I have several and ford cant seem to install a headbolt or manifold bolt thats worth a crap. They all had to replace them with arp bolts... if they couldnt deal with the noise. To me 6 pages of this in the forum seems like only a few were affected. If u dont believe me do the research yourself. and compare
Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Light Graystone
Rep:57
aedwardzo will become famous soon enough

man that blows, I havent had the problem with mine luckily and i have 65,000 miles on mine
Old 01-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram Hemi Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Grey
Rep:19
NewRamGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
I just had this problem as well on my '09. I heard the tick and it went away when the engine got warm

I developed the famous Hemi Tick last Sunday. Yesterday I pulled the Right front tire and the inner fender. I removed all the exhaust manifold bolts with a 1/4 inch rachet. I have the same bolt broken off as you show in the pic. Mine was broken off in the head. I tried to drill and easy out. But it just wont budge. Gonna try and put the manifold on with new bolts and gasket, see if that works with out repairing that broken bolt. I bought this truck used with no extended warranty. So I am trying to do all this in my driveway with common hand tools.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: '09 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Red
Rep:10
Rum Runner is on a distinguished road

So ive just come from 2 different dealerships, trying to see if i can get the manifold bolts fixed and neither one of them knows anything about this issue. Of course my truck is out of warranty and they both let me know if it still had warranty they could help but since i dont they will do nothing.

I just got off the phone with Chrysler Canada and they said they havent heard much about this problem and that if there is a recall they will send me a notice in the mail..............everyone at some point is going to have this problem, why do both parties play dumb about it?

Reading through this Ive seen that lots of people in the USA have got it done under a recall, why is Canada not doing it??
Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram Hemi Quad Cab
Color: Grey
Rep:19
NewRamGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post
So ive just come from 2 different dealerships, trying to see if i can get the manifold bolts fixed and neither one of them knows anything about this issue. Of course my truck is out of warranty and they both let me know if it still had warranty they could help but since i dont they will do nothing.

I just got off the phone with Chrysler Canada and they said they havent heard much about this problem and that if there is a recall they will send me a notice in the mail..............everyone at some point is going to have this problem, why do both parties play dumb about it?

Reading through this Ive seen that lots of people in the USA have got it done under a recall, why is Canada not doing it??
From what I was told there is no Recall on this issue. Just a service bulletin that tells the dealership how to fix the problem. I have no warranty on my truck so I am doing the repairs myself in the driveway. Made some calls today to a couple of different parts stores and the cheapest place to get a new exhaust manifold gasket was the dodge dealer. I ordered some new Metric 8mm x1.25 x 45mm allen head bolts from Fastenal today. At 12.9 hardness I hope they do the trick. Just have to wait till Saturday for some daylight to drill and tap the bolt that broke off flush in my cylinder head. Will try and post some pics later.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 CCSB
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black & Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:92
col will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post

Mine's an 09 & just been done under warranty..
Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
peltmachinescott is on a distinguished road
Default broken bolts

hello there, ive had the same problem with my 09 ram about a year ago. I remember there were 3 bolts broken. i ended up paying for labour! not very not happy to say the least..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamHemi55 View Post
Hello everyone,
This is a pretty important subject clearly because of how unhappy I am with dodge. Have owned 3 rams, my brother has had 4, even my sister owns a Dakota. The issue is on the 09 1500's, there is a pretty big issue with the exhaust manifold bolts. They have a issue with breaking off either at the head of the bolt or inside the motor. This is a problem with my truck and a problem with a friends truck (same as mine). I have seen many posts on this subject not only on this forum but a few others. My truck was in for a bad shift solenoid and they said i have 4 that are broken and i can tell cause i can hear the ticking. $800 dollars to replace all of them with the new style bolts. Dodge is aware of this issue because they have come out with a new style bolt to replace it. My powertrain warranty does not cover this part on my truck so im in a bit of hot water. I called dodge corp today and talked with someone about it and they say there is no "known issue" with this, even though every dealership has received a letter about this from dodge that if its a problem replace it, if not leave it alone. I have 4 dealerships that are on board with this that they will let dodge call them and tell them how many times they have seen this issue. WHAT I NEED FROM ALL OF YOU is if this is an issue with your own vehicle or someones vehicle that you know of, i need you to post up about it on this blog. I will be forwarding this blog to the tech at dodge corp to let him see how much of a problem this is. I refuse to pay 800 dollars out of my own pocket for a part they decided to go cheap on and is breaking yet for some reason they will not put a recall out about. If i can get enough support they will put it out as a recall and they can be replaced not only for me but for everyone else. PLEASE HELP EVERYONE!!!!
The more support for this the closer to a solution we can receive.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Sport Crew
Color: Silver
wakepics is on a distinguished road

Just got through doing this fix this weekend. Had the same stud broken off as shown in the image above, but mine was broken clean with the head. Let me just say if you are going to attempt this yourself and have no other option but to drill the stud out, make SURE you drill directly in the center of the bolt. I center punched the bolt but didn't leave a good enough indent, so when I started drilling I ended up off center. Rather than stop and reset, I figured I'd just get it done with and TRUST ME when I say this was a terrible idea. Quick fix turned into a major headache.

I'd also recommend drilling with left handed drill bits right from the start, as this may make the use of easy outs redundant. Really it shouldn't be that bad of a job, and if you have the tools and are handy don't be scared of doing it to save some money. Just be careful and take your time. If anyone has questions about the experience feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help out.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:52 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Color: Mango Tango
Rep:59
MeanMango2010 will become famous soon enough

Just had my 2010 at the dealer today because of the exhaust leak. Now keep in mind, I have been to the same dealership for my rear pinion nut issue and issues with chrome trim peeling. Both times I had my supercharger on. Today they called up and said the SC voids ALL warranty. Then told me it would be $90 for checking the axle seal and the broken manifold bolts. Both of which I told them were messed up. Stetler Dodge in York, PA are a bunch of crooks in my opinion. They quoted me $500 for the manifold bolts.

I know when I worked at Chevy if some crap happened like that there was a 1800 number customers always seemed to call and we ended up doing it under warranty anyway. Considering the axle seals and manifold bolts aren't the SC's fault and seems to be common issues.

Also, when I made my appointment I asked the guy if the SC is gonna affect the manifold and he said, "It shouldn't."
Vortec Supercharger, Upgraded Trans by MGH w/ Edge 2800 stall converter, Yukon DuraGrip LSD, ARH LongTube Headers, 18" Mufflex and QTP Cutout, AIS Water/Meth, 2/4" Ground Force, E-Fan w/ clutch fan delete, random orange and black paint.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 PM

Vehicle: 2009 QC 4wd
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Rep:146
jc4041 will become famous soon enoughjc4041 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMango2010 View Post
Just had my 2010 at the dealer today because of the exhaust leak. Now keep in mind, I have been to the same dealership for my rear pinion nut issue and issues with chrome trim peeling. Both times I had my supercharger on. Today they called up and said the SC voids ALL warranty. Then told me it would be $90 for checking the axle seal and the broken manifold bolts. Both of which I told them were messed up. Stetler Dodge in York, PA are a bunch of crooks in my opinion. They quoted me $500 for the manifold bolts.

I know when I worked at Chevy if some crap happened like that there was a 1800 number customers always seemed to call and we ended up doing it under warranty anyway. Considering the axle seals and manifold bolts aren't the SC's fault and seems to be common issues.

Also, when I made my appointment I asked the guy if the SC is gonna affect the manifold and he said, "It shouldn't."

Unless they've changed the "rules" it's always been that if "so and so" part caused the failure they wouldn't cover it....so someone is blowing smoke
'07 Dodge Charger SRT8 SuperBee #579-CAI, DSP, dual Cherry Bomb Extremes
-Jeff