DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
As i mentioned earlier, i just had the
Check Engine Light came on
so i couldn't use the Remote Start

From what i understand, in Australia & New Zealand, they don't have 5w-20, but they do have 0w-20
Australia has temperatures that are much like Afghanistan, 130 - 140F in mid summer

Yes I recall your post and was a wake-up call to the potential pitfalls of using other viscosities. I was curious to know if others who have experienced problems using other viscosities, had the same or different issues.

It is interesting if the temps get as high as mentioned they have 0W-20, I would think they would have at least 5W-20.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

Asur-read the link regarding Chrysler engineer recommendation. I'm not sure I lend too much credibility to the email post...no full name. And, did the 2011 Ram have MDS? The poster showed having a 2011 Express?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseMan View Post
Asur-read the link regarding Chrysler engineer recommendation. I'm not sure I lend too much credibility to the email post...no full name. And, did the 2011 Ram have MDS? The poster showed having a 2011 Express?
MDS started on the hemi in 05, and was re-calibrated in 06, was available on the Ram I think 09

I will PM the guy, see If I can get him to give me the guys Email
Old 02-22-2013, 12:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

Keep us posted. If like to know more!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Sagebrush
Rep:87
kkreit01 will become famous soon enough

There's no debate. Use what the manual says -- for how long it says.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:56 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

my friend has a 05 daytona.....asked him what oil he uses, and he told me 5-20 dino.....has almost 90K and runs like a champ....ill stick with the 5-20.....just switch to synthetic next change
Old 02-22-2013, 10:52 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie crew cab
Color: Grey
Rep:41
uktitus is on a distinguished road

I have told this story before. A couple of years back the oil light came on after about a thousand after the dealer had changed the oil, I checked the bill for the milage etc and I noticed that on the bill was 5-30 I phoned the dealer and they changed immediately. I have no knowledge if the reason for oil light was the wrong viscosity or not, to me the MDS had functioned as if the oil was 5-20 it may have been that guy doing the oil change wrote the viscosity down. Since then the light has come own when I have expected it. When I was up in Seattle more city driving 2500 3000 before the light coming on now down in N Cal long distance driving the light come on between 5-6000.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:01 AM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Found another Amsoil dealer posting this information about 5w-20 oil.

http://www.ultimatesyntheticoil.com/...s/ford5w20.htm

And another

http://www.enhancedsyntheticoil.com/5w20_Issue.htm
Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 AM

Another interesting article

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...sive-cars.html
Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Found another Amsoil dealer posting this information about 5w-20 oil.

http://www.ultimatesyntheticoil.com/...s/ford5w20.htm

And another

http://www.enhancedsyntheticoil.com/5w20_Issue.htm
The problem with these articles as I see it, and I am an Amsoil user, is a couple things. They indicate it is safe to use 5w-30, that the only reason 5w-20 oil is indicated, is to meet govt fuel economy. But if it were really safe to use, why then are people who use 5w-30, reporting error codes and adverse functioning of the MDS? I get the meeting govt. mpg standards and it makes sense, but I am not convinced it is as ok to use 5w-30 as some of these articles indicate. Another issue I have is these articles repeatedly say "don't let the dealers scare you". it is not the dealers who mandate the viscosity rating, rather the manufacturer. My final issue is the creative referencing to Magnuson-Moss act where they will have the reader believe, the act prohibits manufacturers from specifying viscosity, not true. The act prohibits specifying a certain brand, not specific grade or viscosity and the manufacturer would be well within their rights to deny a warranty claim if their requirements are not met. A final observation, Chrysler offers a pretty generous warranty on the motors, so I find it hard to believe they would warrant the engines as they do, then specify an oil viscosity that would impact meeting at least the warranty.