DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Brakes

Notices

Brakes Brake Maintenance and Replacement

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:22
SawdustJ is on a distinguished road
Default Just Did the Front Brakes On My 2010

I finally got the new brakes installed on my 2010. It was a nice day yesterday afternoon, so I dusted off the tools and went at it. I did both pads and rotors. I opted for the Hawk LTS pads and Hawk Quiet Slot rotors. The install went relatively smooth, no busted knuckles, but I did have to modify a 17mm wrench slightly to remove the caliper bolts. In all the installation took about 1.5 hours.

Here are a few pics showing the installation.

Pic 1 - the new pads and rotors

Pic 2 - shows the stock set up with front wheel removed

Pic 3 - caliper is removed. A 13mm wrench/socket was needed to loosen the caliper bolt, but there is also a 17mm backing nut on the caliper itself that needed to be held. My regular 17mm wrench was too thick to fit between the caliper and bracket so I took one of my other lesser 17mm wrenches and ground it a bit thinner so it would fit. With the two wrenches together, the caliper bolts came off quite easily.

Pic 4 - shows the old pads once they came off. The wear between the inside and outside pad was quite even surprisingly, although the inside (piston side) pad a slightly more wear on the leading edge. You can kinda see this in the pic. It's the pad on the bottom (left side)

Pic 5 - shows the old and new pad side by side

Pic 6 and 7 - shows the caliper bracket and bolts. I showed the bolts in my hand to show the relative size of them. I needed a 21mm to loosen those buggers, and they were TIGHT!!! Had to smack the end of the wrench with a hammer to bust them loose.

Pic 8 - shows the old rotor once it was removed. The wear on it was even and as expected.

Pic 9 - shows the new Hawk rotor and caliper bracket installed.

Pic 10 - shows the caliper pistons being compressed back into place. I used a large C-clamp for this. I just had to make sure the clamp was centered as much as possible. On the first try I just had it on one side and as I was squeezing the one piston back in, the other piston was coming out. Moving the calmp over a bit solved that problem

Pic 11 - shows the spring retainer clips on the stock pads. They just had to be pulled off and put on the new pads.

Pic 12 - shows the new pads installed in the caliper bracket. With the clips on the ends of the pads, they were a bit fussy to get into the slots on the bracket. A little tapping here and there solved that. After they were installed I smeared some high temp brake lubricant onto the backs of the pads. A smalled packet of lube came with the pads.

Pic 13 - shows the caliper-installed

Pic 14 - shows the final assembly

Pic 15 - shows all the tools I needed - hammer, 13mm wrench, 13mm socket and ratchet, modified 17mm wrench, 21 mm wrench, C-clamp, and flat head screwdriver (not shown).

After I installed the pads and rotors, I followed Hawks bedding-in procedure.
1. 6-10 moderate stops from 30 - 35 mph
2. 3 hard stops from 40 - 45 mph.
3. Minimum 15 minute cool down period before further use

After each stop, the brakes felt progressively better. When I took the truck out last night to go to hockey, there was a noticable improvement from stock. It wasn't night and day, but it was enough to take notice. At highway speed, when I tapped the brakes, they had a good initial bite, moreso than stock. I haven't really pounded on them (yet) to see how they perform. A friend of mine has a 2011 QC hemi. I'm going to ask him to do a side by side braking test for comparison. I'll post the results of that when I get to it.

There was also a Hawk sticker that came with the pads (seen in the last picture). If someone wants it, send me a PM with your address and I'll mail it to you. Otherwise I'm just going to throw it away

JJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 1.jpg (123.6 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 2.jpg (124.2 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 3.jpg (126.2 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 4.jpg (126.5 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 5.jpg (126.6 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 6.jpg (122.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 7.jpg (121.5 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 8.jpg (123.0 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 9.jpg (123.5 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 10.jpg (127.2 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 11.jpg (123.1 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 12.jpg (124.3 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 13.jpg (124.1 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 14.jpg (122.1 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 15.jpg (123.1 KB, 137 views)
Old 03-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

good job and thanks for the write up, how many miles were on ur truck? reps to ya

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance
Old 03-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Nice job on the replacements

I also wonder what your mileage is

I have 62,000 miles on my Ram & the dealership has not even mentioned brake pads or rotors yet, they have mentioned a brake fluid change, power steering fluid change, & radiator flush.
I will do the pads & fluid change at the same time, the Rams pads have lasted a year longer than my last truck did, they were at 70% wear at 2 years
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-19-2012, 05:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

My 2010 has I think 57,000 miles and my pads are great. I suspect the PO had changed them since they have a lot of meat on them. The truck had 38,000 miles when I bought it about 13 months ago.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Rep:22
SawdustJ is on a distinguished road

Moparornocar72 - thanks for the rep points. Much appreciated.

My truck has just shy of 70,000 km on it or a little over 43,000 miles.

When I last brought the truck into the dealership for service about 6 weeks ago, they told me the pads had about 10% life left in them. I was skeptical at the time considering the mileage, but knowing what I use the truck for (I am a contractor), and how/where I drive the truck, I figured it was plausible.

But as you can see from the pics, there's still a fair bit of life left in the pads. The wear bar/groove was still well defined. Admittedly, I probably could've gotten another 15,000 - 20,000 km on them without any problem.

Gauging brake wear by mileage alone probably isn't a good benchmark. My driving is probably 60/40 city/highway. I'm sure if it was +80% highway, I could've easily gotten another 50,000km on them or better.

JJ
Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Rep:48
Ramathorne is on a distinguished road

I got just about 70,000km on mine and by the feel from my brake pedal, I shall soon be due for news pads...Perhaps rotors as well...I will get a good look at them when I take my winter treads off...

Last edited by Ramathorne; 03-20-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:38 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

I will take the sticker! LOL

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 05-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge RamTRX4
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Blue
Rep:10
rustypipes12 is on a distinguished road

I just changed mine at 14,000 miles due to a warped rotor, the pads had a lot of life left on them but I decided to change them and put ceramics on. I also purchased rears but haven't installed them. I went with Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors. Does any body know if the rear rotors are larger?
Old 02-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram SLT Crew Cab
Rep:10
Jeepdork is on a distinguished road

Nice and thank you. I am doing mine at a friends house, now I know what tools to bring.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

im surprised at how little the disks were slotted...
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!