DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1475
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

I also got my new visors in the mail and installed today (today was a great day for mods! ). I purchased the AVS visors off Amazon as they were the best price I could find and I got them delivered in two days with my Prime membership.

I have only had the tape on version in the past (on my '99 Tahoe) and although I was quite pleased with them, I swore I would not tape anything to the paint on my new $45k truck.. lol. So I bought these in channel visors.. I must say they are rather simple to install. I only had issues with the passenger front door.. it wasn't seating right and kept engaging the auto-down window feature. After about fifteen minutes of cussing and wanting to break it in half, I finally got it wiggled into place. All windows are up and will stay that way for at least a few days to ensure the tape takes and all visors seat properly.

Now that they are installed.. I am not sure if I should have them painted. (I know they are taped in.. but I could always put fresh 3M tape on them after being painted to install them again.) After taking a look at the pics below.. what do you guys all think? Get them paint matched? Or no?

Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

You know where I stand. If it would help, I can help you get them painted!

Another day another mod. The tailgate handle looks like it turned out alright on your truck. I don't know why but I guess on orange it just doesn't do it.

Keep it goin!!

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Ram Ham

KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

Yes, I know where you stand, Arth! And thanks for the thumbs up!
I just need to find a place that is reputable and capable of matching to my Ram's exact paint color code.
How would you help me get them painted? You offering to help me research local companies? Or foot the bill? Not, LOL!

Last edited by KA1OTE; 02-20-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Ram Ham

I went in to town today armed with a notepad and pen with the intention of getting quotes for two things: paint match job on my new AVS visors and window tint job to the max Utah law will allow on my front driver and passenger windows (I am fine with the rear factory tint).

The results?

I can have my windows tinted cheaper at the GM/Chevy dealer than at my own Chrysler dealer, lol. I found that rather interesting. Best quote for tint was $107 ($50 per window plus tax) out the door at the GM/Chevy dealer. Not too shabby, but I have never quoted tint before, so please tell me if this is not within the realm of normality.

As for having my visors painted... Holy Mula, Batman!
There are two shops in town that have this capability (I told you I lived in a rural area!)

First is a body and fender, ma and pa type place. I am familiar with their work as they did the insurance repair work on my '99 Tahoe a few years back after I was run off the road by some jerk in a blizzard. They had to replace the driver side front quarter panel and then paint match/blend the rest of the driver side to match with the replacement part. They did a superb job and I have since sent numerous friends to them.

They quoted me $100, plus or minus, for the paint job on all four visors. But he said that he doesn't understand why I would want to do this as the paint would chip off the plastic surface too easily. He also said I would have to get clear visors as he doesn't think the smoke colored ones I do have would work well or show the paint as well or whatever. Do these visors even come in clear?? That whole conversation threw me for a loop. If I didn't already have a relationship with this guy, and this was my first encounter.. I wouldn't return as he oozed incompetence. Sad. He was my preferred choice for this.

The second option for paint is the auto body and paint shop affiliated with/owned and operated by my dealership. Hmm. Drove over to them next and their guy gave my truck a once over and asked if I would be wanting to have both sides of the visors painted. Uhm, what? No one has ever mentioned if they had both sides painted on here, so I didn't have an answer for him. He said it would take about 30min per visor and the lady printed me out an estimate...

wait for it...

$161.65 out the door! Holy mother of Rams!

For those of you interested, this is the breakdown of their estimate/invoice:
Paint Labor -- 2 hours @ $46/hour -- $92
Paint Supplies -- 2 hours @ $30/hour -- $60
Subtotal -- $152
Sales Tax (6.35%) -- $9.65
Grand Total -- $161.65

And that is only for the outside of the visors. If I want both sides done, I would have to multiple that estimate by two!! Good grief! We're not talking about painting one whole side of the truck! What the hell is with these prices?? Needless to say I will not be having the dealership's shop painting my visors.

There are no other options within a 50 mile radius. I will try expanding my search for paint shops up north in the SLC valley, although I would prefer to just have it done local, but it's not looking that way right now.

Any thoughts, opinions, sympathy, etc.. are welcome as always.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

I got a lot of questions, comments, and raised eye brows when I wanted to get mine painted as well. I can tell you from having these for along time they will not chip. For whatever reason the truck accessory store I have in NC has a paint shop that does them for $80 flat. As you can tell from my pictures it seems to match just fine.

What I don't understand is why they want to charge so much. They only make enough paint for the job. I don't know what the paint shop does to get mine right but I suspect they simply put on a primer that promotes adhesion to plastic. Then paint it and clear! That is all I had to do for my Intake cover and Hemi hat. Cost me roughly $50 bucks in paint supplies.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Ram Ham

I'm not so sure on the cost either. The guy at the dealership run place said they'd spray them and then I could pick them up after they cured for a few hours. Never said anything about primer or clear coats or anything. Odd. Why should I pay so much for their 'work' if that's all they're doing?? Sounds to me I could do a better job going and picking up a few cans of Krylon! Although I do realize that they wouldn't be matched.

After all of these ridiculous discussions (in town, not here!) with astronomical prices.. I may just have the windows tinted and call it good. I mean, it's not like the visors are an eyesore of any sort as they are now. They compliment the rig quite nicely and I think, perhaps, after the tint is done, they may actually look better as they are since they will most likely go hand in hand with the darker tint... I dunno.. my brain is fried.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 RCSB 4X4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:173
Unfairkickazz93 has a spectacular aura aboutUnfairkickazz93 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1OTE View Post
I mean, it's not like the visors are an eyesore of any sort as they are now. They compliment the rig quite nicely and I think, perhaps, after the tint is done, they may actually look better as they are since they will most likely go hand in hand with the darker tint... I dunno.. my brain is fried.
That is what I would do. I think they will look pretty good with the tint(even though I am not a fan with window visors).
MODS- QTP Exhaust Cutout, ARH Long-tube Headers, HornBlasters Train Horn, HemiFever Tuned, Linex bedliner, Painted mirrors and door handles, 14" magnaflow muffler, Cabin air filter, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Black 17" Sport Edition TK5 Wheels, K&N CAI, BT Catch can, 85mm Throttle body, Upper glovebox Mod, Recon Black Projector headlights, Retroshops- Tinted LED Tails including 3rd brake.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Ram Ham

Well, I got another quote for tint yesterday.. a shop up north in SLC says they will do both front door windows at 35% using ATC tint for $55 out the door. They also offer a lifetime warranty (of the rig) with all their work that their tint will never peel, bubble or change color.. just bring the rig back in if any of this ever happens and they re-do it all for free. Sure beats my local GM dealership at $50 per window.. Might just be worth the drive up north!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfairkickazz93 View Post
That is what I would do. I think they will look pretty good with the tint(even though I am not a fan with window visors).
Thanks! I am still getting used to the reduced amount of space between me and these visors. They are much closer to the window than my old exterior tape on ones. But I am dealing with it as they do look rather slick.

Last edited by KA1OTE; 02-23-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Copperhead Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
Ram1500SCC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1OTE View Post
Got my ultimate supremo most awesomest mud flaps a few days ago! Husband was back from Germany, yes, but was out of town in Wyoming on a business trip when they arrived. And given my impatience, I went to Napa and borrowed a socket set and went to work installing them in their parking lot. Needless to say, quite a few pickups of coal miners and construction workers paused long enough to look at the chic on the ground (in the snow) wrestling with mud flaps. LOL

Without further adieu.. I finally got around to some pictures today!
First, great looking truck! If it wasn't for the wood inserts, I'd have a Laramie because I love the fender flares. Anyway, I ordered the same splash guards in the new black wrap. Any chance of getting some pictures from the wheel well side. I'd like to see all the attachment points that you used. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:30 PM
Ram Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram1500SCC View Post
First, great looking truck! If it wasn't for the wood inserts, I'd have a Laramie because I love the fender flares. Anyway, I ordered the same splash guards in the new black wrap. Any chance of getting some pictures from the wheel well side. I'd like to see all the attachment points that you used. Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks for the compliment. I wasn't a fan of wood looking dashes, that is, until I drove this truck.. it just all works and flows together. My Ram converted me.

I'd be happy to oblige but I am watching the Daytona 500 right now.. so I'll go out and get pics for you in a bit!