DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-27-2013, 01:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
rango88 is on a distinguished road

I can't say about the 6 spd vs the 8 spd, but from what I have read many people prefer the 8 spd as it gear hunts a lot less, the ratios are better designed for everyday use (closer ratios for city and longer ratios for cruising and MPG)

I can just say that coming from a 5 spd manual to a 5 spd auto in my 2011, I am having difficulting getting used to the gear hunting my truck has when driving in down. It seems to look for the top gear as quickly as possible so as soon as I hit a small grade, it doesnt know what gear to choose.

I am still getting to know the truck but going from 4 gear in town to 3rd and getting a jolt of power is something I havent mastered yet. I think the 8 spd on paper is the better choice for driving.

Now in terms of reliability, I know that ZF's are in a lot of high power sedans from BMWs to Jags, but they are unproven to take the Hemi Power. So that would be a concern.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:12 AM

Vehicle: RAM
Rep:33
Copperhead Ram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rango88 View Post
Now in terms of reliability, I know that ZF's are in a lot of high power sedans from BMWs to Jags, but they are unproven to take the Hemi Power. So that would be a concern.
Bentley has the ZF 8-speed AWD in it's twin-turbo 6.0 liter W12 that generates 616 horsepower and 590 lb-ft of torque. What was that about HEMI power?
Old 02-27-2013, 02:30 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:18
rango88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead Ram View Post
Bentley has the ZF 8-speed AWD in it's twin-turbo 6.0 liter W12 that generates 616 horsepower and 590 lb-ft of torque. What was that about HEMI power?
Do they use the same Model of ZF in the Bentley as they do with the RAM hemi? If so then you have proven me wrong if not then my doubt is not misplaced.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie Hemi 8 Speed
Color: Maximum Steel Met.
Rep:25
kxlexus is on a distinguished road

I ordered the 8 speed Hemi and am waiting for it. Frankly, I was not at all impressed with the performance of the two Hemi 6 speeds with 3.55 gears I drove. If my dealer called and said I couldn't get the 8 speed....I would cancel my order. But thats just me. Everybody won't feel the same.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 CC 5'7" Rambox
Trim Level: Longhorn/8 Speed/Air
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:17
Ford Apostate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Well, it is official, the news as of yesterday

i knew it would be a Photo OP

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...rner+user+view

That photo is from September. It's the first 2013 coming off the line. It has nothing to do with 8 speeds. Look at the photo caption.

This story is just someone at the factory giving some inside info to Allpar about current production ratios. There was no press release and they've been building Hemi/8spds for weeks now. It's not like the first one just rolled off this week.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:01 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 CC 5'7" Rambox
Trim Level: Longhorn/8 Speed/Air
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:17
Ford Apostate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblann View Post
Just bought a 2013 6 speed big horn now dealer is getting in 8 speed for 500 dollars more,is it going to be that much better of a transmission. Did I make a mistake for buying this one, should I have waited. Or am I better off because this is first year for 8 speed so it may have some issues until they work out the bugs.
Probably, probably, maybe is how I would answer your questions. But you've already bought it, might as well enjoy it. You're enjoying it a lot more than all of us waiting around for their Hemi/8spds to be built.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram big horn quad
Trim Level: Big horn slt
Color: Copperhead pearlcoat
Rep:26
Sblann is on a distinguished road

has anyone even test drove an eight speed I didnt even know they were coming out so soon, the dealer didnt have any on lot and told me they wouldnt be around til summer. Guess he wanted my business. now i feel like i got ripped off who's gonna want a 6 speed later, trade in value will be lower if 8 speeds are good
Old 02-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 13 ram 1500
Trim Level: laramie
Rep:10
Schmitt is on a distinguished road

I drove a 8speed quad Bighorn yesterday! I didnt know about the turn shifter either but it is actually really nice. The truck get's up and goes! Hands down the 8 speed. Cant wait for mine to show
Old 02-27-2013, 10:31 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500QC Hemi 4x4 8Spd 3.55
Trim Level: Laramie Frost Beige
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:21
On The Road is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblann View Post
Just bought a 2013 6 speed big horn now dealer is getting in 8 speed for 500 dollars more,is it going to be that much better of a transmission. Did I make a mistake for buying this one, should I have waited. Or am I better off because this is first year for 8 speed so it may have some issues until they work out the bugs.
I wouldn't second guess your decision. We all buy what we want and have our reasons.
I had been with Ford for 35 years. Did a lot of snowplowing in my time and found that the ford transmissions faired better than the Dodges.
When I went to replace my existing F150 I was looking for better fuel economy. Quite honestly the 3.6 is what got my attention. At the same time I was a little worried about the newness of the 3.6 and the few problems they've been having with the heads. The 8 speed by ZF was never a concern.
When I found out the 8 speed and the other technologies where coming to the HEMI I was sold. I expect to get 4mpg better than my 5.4 that I have now and 2 maybe 3 than the 5.0 Ford has. I was never sold on their ecoboost. As an asside I'm glad I will have copper plugs. The tuneup on my 150 was $1200.00. Yep all 8 plugs broke coming out. It took 4 days to do the job. Ford has no comment on their new engines as nobody has run 100k on them yet.
RAM 1500 Laramine QC 4X4 Hemi - 8 Spd ZF 8HP70-3.21 -Stainless Steel Door Sill Protectors-Billet Catch Can-Cabin Air Filter Mod -Air Spring 1000's - EGR Hood Shield - TruXudo Lo Pro QT Tonneau Cover-AMP Research Bed Step-DeeZee Bed Rug- Tail Gate Protector-Trimax Spare Tire Lock