DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > MOPAR NATION - Dodge Ram Club Regional Chapters! > Dodge Ram Forum UK

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn 4x4
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:11
peppermintpete is on a distinguished road
Default International Ram of Mystery

I know this is the UK area, but I'm looking for some input for Ram's abroad.

I will be re-located to Germany in a few months, and have decided that my Ram will accompany me. I know fuel is quite a bit more expensive, but I'm prepared to deal with that. Shipping to Germany will also be covered.

My concerns are the feasibility in driving around Europe in a larger than usual vehicle. I understand most of the roads and parking spots are considered small compared to the US versions.

Does anyone have any huge issues driving around? I don't have a crazy lift or anything, just a level kit and some Nitto Trail Grapplers. They stick out maybe an inch past the wheel well.

Also I've heard vehicles coming from the US need a few mods to be able to get registered in Germany. Like a rear foglight and such. If anyone has details on that it would be nice to get a headstart on modifications.

Thank you for any helpful input.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, Good Luck on the move and yes I hear there are several mods, but am not positive what is needed. Some of the things can be handled by the dealer.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:26 AM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

I'm not in Germany but I'm originally from the UK and I have spent plenty of time in Europe.

It would certainly be cool to have your Ram in Germany but I wouldn't do it. Gas more than double what it is here. There is no way I'd pay $200 to fill my tank. Driving is no problem but parking in towns is. It's not impossible but expect it to be a pain.

Now assuming that advice fell on deaf ears there are a few things you'll need to do to you truck. As you mentioned you'll need a rear fog lamp; you can wire up a single red lamp to a switch in the cab for this. A few things you might need to take into account though. Some (not all) European codes are stricter than those in the US for altering vehicles; this is particularly true for mods that might affect other drivers.

You might need to loose the Grapplers; unless things have changed tyres that come past the side of the vehicle are not allowed; they go with struck codes for the aiming. Headlights can be an issue, particularly with your leveling kit. It is illegal for low-beams to blind oncoming traffic so make sure you have the aim adjusted before you go. Your mods list doesn't mention an exhaust so I'll assume you have a stock one; if you don't consider going back to one. Exhaust noise in small towns will definitely get you snagged. Some towns in Europe have particularly strict emission laws and you need to get a special inspection sticker to drive in them.

I doubt this is a complete list and hopefully someone who has been been posted overseas can help out.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Conventional Eccentric

highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Came across this; it should answer all your questions.

Driver and Vehicle Requirements and the Installation Traffic Code for the U.S. Forces in Germany

From glancing through it the two biggest issues i see are what I mentioned before:

1. Tyres cannot extend beyond the body.
2. Headlight aim due to you leveling kit

If you have tint on the front side windows you need to remove it before you go as well.

If you're still making payments on your truck you need to get written permission from the lien holder to take it overseas.

Good luck

Old 09-20-2011, 09:40 AM

That is fantastic information. In all my searches I never came across this document. Your excellence is appreciated.

I have a stock exhaust and my headlights have been adjusted to an appropriate height. The only issue I see is the tires. They stick out just enough that it could be a problem.
The fuel prices on the base will be fairly close to US prices from what I hear.

Last edited by peppermintpete; 09-20-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Yes it sounds like the only trouble is the tyres. I would take care of it before you go though. My understanding is your POV must pass before it can be used and getting tyres there would be expensive. Will fender flares cover them?

Old 09-23-2011, 08:13 AM

I hadn't considered the fender flare loophole. My impression was that fender flares stick out from the body too, but the more I think about it it seems like it should be legitimate since they will technically be part of the body. I have been juggling the idea of getting fender flares for awhile, and I'd rather do that than putting the stock tires back on.

It's too bad about them not being able to stick out. They protrude just far enough that it is like driving a bumper car. I've avoided more than a few scrapes because the tires took the impact.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Honda City
Color: Off White
Rep:10
sandrajolly is on a distinguished road

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about information and love learning more on this. If possible, as you gain expertise, It is extremely helpful for me. would you mind updating your blog with more information.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:43 AM

It has been 1 year since the arrival of my vehicle to Deutschland.
Some info for anyone in the military shipping their RAM:

The "inspection" consisted of them confirming what year it was and saying "Very good".
I guess they don't look too closely at new vehicles. I got a green emission sticker and some plates and I was good to go.

They didn't care about tires or anything. I had put the stock tires back on before it shipped out. Good thing, because there is nowhere within 250km to even drive off road. As much as I don't like the original tires, they are better suited to the autobahn for extended periods of time than my Nitto's. I see a few other American vehicles that have lifts and giant tires and I can only wonder where they even find any dirt roads, let alone any terrain that would justify putting so much wear on their tires while they here. Wranglers with snorkels are the funniest to see, since 99% of the places you could even find to go off-roading in Germany are illegal or privately owned by the natives that don't care too much for Americans.

There's at least 6 other 4th gen's in the area, with at least twice as many 3rd gen's.

I am in the Stuttgart area, which is a huge anomaly. They make some of the world's fastest cars here (Mercedes), but the traffic is so bad on the autobahn you can barely do the speed limit.

Last edited by peppermintpete; 02-23-2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Laramie
Trim Level: stock
Color: Black, is there any other colour?
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:42
britplod is on a distinguished road

One thing that has'nt been mentioned is, i believe you will also require winter tyres and also a emergency kit,consisting of a couple of reflective triangles incase you break down these are to be place behind and infront of the truck/car.......