DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1986 Dodge Ramcharger
Trim Level: base
Color: grey
Engine: 1981-1988 360ci (5.9L) LA V8 170hp
Rep:10
jays2001 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Oil leak??

Ok here is the problem,

I have a leak coming from the area around the filter not the actual mount or rubber ring on filter but it looks like the mounting area has a circle around it that appears to screw into the block but i dont know for sure,never seen this before,
anyone have any ideas, the filter it self is not leaking luckily because cant get it off either that is something i can deal with the leak is got me
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 81 91 93 dodge
Rep:11
crazzywolfie is on a distinguished road

there is a plate that is fastened to the bare block, and the filter mounts to. Its held on by an adapter, that is threaded on both ends, one end screws into the block, the other end is threaded to accept the oil filter.Behind the `mount plate` is a gasket, that seals it off. This gasket must be whats leaking.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5249320
Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks,
for the response now i know it is something minor versus major,well after i get filter off we will see if it is minor. Never had a filter on this tight, it broke my oil filter tool trying to take it off,it was a new strap type so in my experince thats tight.

Really can't complain $500 bucks for it.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:56 PM

i feel your pain. i think i over tighten the filter on my truck once and i broke a screw driver getting it off.

since you are going to change the filter you should check to see if you can fit a taller filter. if you are able to you might be able to use the better quality equivalent of frams PH8A. i know i plan on ordering a WIX 51515 oil filter for my trucks. rock auto has them for $0.36 cheaper than the shorter stock size filter.
when i order a oil filter for my truck i order it for a 95 ford f150 with the 4.9. for some reason ford liked using the taller filter where dodge like using the shorter filters. i figure the taller filter must filter more so that is what i run. other than how tall they are i don't think there is a difference between a ph8a or ph16.

i also noticed that rockauto has Oil Filter Adapter Gasket for $2.12. might also be able to find it locally since felpro is a pretty popular brand name.
FEL-PRO Part # 70522
Old 02-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Jeep wrangler
Trim Level: max
Color: white
Engine: 1981-1987 225ci (3.7L) Slant-6 95hp
motorking is on a distinguished road
Default oil leak

Hi,
I am the tech manager at FRAM. Sounds like your on the right track to get the leak fixed. I wanted to comment about using filters not cataloged for the application. First off, the 4oz difference in oil capacity between a PH8A sized filter and a PH16 will make zero difference in the way your truck runs or lasts. If you want more dirt trapping capacity, you could use a XG16 FRAM filter, it has different media and can hold double the amount of dirt than the PH16. The real reson I would caution you about this is if there was a failure (and this is true of any oil filter company, not just FRAM) and you filed a warranty claim, the claims advisor finds you have the wrong filter on the vehicle, they will deny the claim. That said, you can use the parts lookup on FRAM.com to see the actual bypass valve settings on each part number as well as the thread sizes if you still want to look for a larger filter. Good luck with the leak.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:24 PM

Part Number PH16

Product Type Full-Flow Lube Spin-on
Anti-Drain Valve YES
Gasket I.D. 2.42"
Gasket O.D. 2.8"
Gasket Thickness .2"
Gasket Usage Base
Product Height 3.69"
Product I.D. 3/4-16 Th'd
Product O.D. 3.66"
Relief Valve Setting PSI 12

Part Number PH8A

Product Type Full-Flow Lube Spin-on
Anti-Drain Valve YES
Gasket I.D. 2.42"
Gasket O.D. 2.8"
Gasket Thickness .2"
Gasket Usage Base
Product Height 5.14"
Product I.D. 3/4-16 Th'd
Product O.D. 3.8"
Relief Valve Setting PSI 12

as far as i can tell the only difference is product O.D. and they are taller but none of this should matter since things like the gasket and everything else is the same. plus i don't think the first place someone would look if a 25 year old engine in a $500 truck failed would be the filter. the filter company would probably blame it on the engine being old and worn out.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the info crazzywolfie, thats what it was, 3.99 fixed it, and $500 bucks bought the ram with rebuilt engine with less than 2 hours run time on it,new edelbrock intake,carb,cam,bored 60 over,new Arizona body,frame was undercoated while body was off,hooker headers,flowmaster exhaust,and alot of parts,just no dang bumpersso can't drive it yet.
I bought this from my boss he and his son started rebuilding then kid got bored and it sat the past 7 years, i offered 2,000. 3 years ago and he said no so i have been giving him crap about letting it sit and rot and he said screw it 500 bucks and get the thing of his land.
So all said and done by the time she is on the road i may end up spending 1000 total with cost of truck.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 PM

glad it was such a cheap and easy fix. bumpers should be easy to come by unless you specifically want a ramcharger rear bumper. i kind of like the look of a truck bumper on a ramcharger but not got around to putting one on my ramcharger yet.