DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Color: Red/Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
Dalakian is on a distinguished road
Default Blown head? Please help!

I could really use some help on this one. So here's the story:

Patient: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 with 5.9 V8 Magnum with 207,000 miles on it.

Symptoms: overheats, loses oil pressure and spits white foam through the dipstick.

Story:

Bought the truck less than a week ago - everything was running fine. The previous owner has stated that the truck has been sitting for about a year. When I checked the oil level it had some white foam on the dip stick itself but I've figured that it was from condensation - not a problem. It has always been running at 200f like it should. Then it started to overheat. I replaced the oil and it was normal color - not milky as it would be if the coolant would be mixed in. It kept on overheating. So I back flushed the radiator + engine and it solved the overheating problem. I took it for a hard test drive with pure water running instead of coolant and the temperature has always stayed at or below 200f so I called it a victory! Next morning as I drove the truck to work, it started to overheat again to 250f, but at that point I was at work already and just turned it off. I've figured that maybe I just didn't flush something out the first time all the way - not a problem I'm thinking. Then, when I started driving home today on a highway, the temperature climbed up to 250f again and, all of the sudden, the oil pressure gauge that's normally indicating 40psi has dropped to zero. My engine became very loud and (I couldn't stop in the middle of a highway) then I've heard a POP! I pulled over on a side of some hill and saw white foam splashed all over the engine compartment from what it looked like the dipstick housing. So I let it cool down, poured 1 more quart of fresh oil in it, started it up and it was working like nothing happened. 30 seconds later the oil pressure has dropped again and it started to overheat again.

I don't know what to do. The truck is not smoking or making any funny noises, it does not seem to consume any coolant (though I could be not noticing it)

But it does overheat and lose oil pressure when it over heats.

Please advice. I'm an experienced mechanic, but have no clue here. I need advises from people who have been working on these engines.

Thanks!!!!!
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Color: Red/Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
Dalakian is on a distinguished road

Anyone? I don't want to tear the engine down if it turns out to be something else. It runs and drives surprisingly great until it starts to overheat and loses oil pressure...