DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: QuadCab SLT Off-Road
Color: Dark Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
JohnJr30236 is on a distinguished road
Default stronger driveshaft slip yoke?

I broke one of the ears off my factory slip yoke. I have 35s on my truck now and will be going bigger soon. Do any one make a high strength yoke? I have Moog super strength u-joints waiting to go in and figure if possible I mine as well upgrade the yoke while I'm at it.

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 5.7L Quad Cab Short Bed 4x4 Automatic if that helps.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:11 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

I would recommend that you contact Dynotech Engineering in Troy, MI. Ask for Jim, tell him your vehicle and applications and they can man a shaft for you or you can send yours in and they can put the proper yoke onto the shaft and balance it on their homemade equipment. I would recommend you have a custom shaft made though because the weld yokes on a stock shaft are cast and will probably break the next time.

http://www.dynotechengineering.com

I bought a custom shaft from them, it cost 511 bucks. Steel shaft with forged weld yokes, cold forged 1350 u-joints, and a viper slip yoke that fits the 727 and since it fits the 727 and the T-56 it fits the 46RH! All Spicer components, except the tube of course. The pinion yoke is forged by Victory Performance, it's for the 29 spline chrysler 9.25" and it fits 1350's. Shaft length was like 61.375" tube diameter 4" and tube thickness .083" tube weight was only like 29 lbs, I could of gone with aluminum but since steel is stiffer there is less power being lost in the angular twisting of the steel, so there is more hp being put to the wheels than if I was to use carbon fiber or aluminum. The only problem with a steel shaft is the inertia so the critical speed is lower than carbon fiber or aluminum. For a 61" shaft both dynotech and I have calculated a critical speed of aprox 6200RPM, so with the correct wheels and gears I am safe for 150MPH, which is good because I only plan to go up to 145MPH when I drop my new engine in.

Anyways I didn't intend to go into the engineering, I cannot help myself, I am a ME student... and this stuff interests me.

Anyways if you don't want to go that route...just go and buy a billet or forged yoke. I do recommend you just replace the entire shaft, like I said those stock yokes are all cast so if your slip yoke ear snapped then it is only a matter of time before a tube (weld) yoke does the same.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:13 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: QuadCab SLT Off-Road
Color: Dark Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
JohnJr30236 is on a distinguished road

Will any of these work better than stock?

http://www.jegs.com/p/Strange-Engine...itemPerPage=30
Old 03-10-2013, 11:13 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJr30236 View Post
Will any of these work better than stock?

http://www.jegs.com/p/Strange-Engine...itemPerPage=30
Well yes anything that isn't stock is going to outperform it in most instances. I do feel though that you should just have a custom shaft made by dynotech or anyone, I pick dynotech because of there reputation and the balancing machines that most shaft builders use are actually made by Dynotech's Parent company. Of course you get that lifetime warranty and so and so...
I really don't feel comfortable telling you to spend any additional money on something that I thing will end up failing, I don't mean that yoke will fail but some other part of that stock driveshaft will fail... It is just possible too that the stock slip yoke might of had a casting crack inside of it, most of those parts aren't passed through an X-Ray like performance cast parts.

But just to answer your question, those will be fine, provided you find one that is compatible with your u-joints and transmission output shaft.