DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-02-2013, 03:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Redsand is on a distinguished road

Having owned both a 09 Ram Laramie and now a 13 eco FX4 I will say this about both trucks, the Ram is the better looking truck I won't deny that, interior is subjective I think the only thing looks wise the Ram has going for it that is more "luxurious" is the upscale models with the stitched look on the dash. The heated stearing wheel was a definite plus to me and is one thing I miss. Gas mileage has been similar with the edge going to the Ford, in town I get 1-2 MPG better. Hwy has been pretty much dead even. Ride on both to me seems similar, I'd say the Ram handles bumps better and isn't as jarring. Performance wise stock for stock (Ram had 3.92's Eco has 3.55's) my Ram would take my Eco if the race was just give it the gas and go. There is this horrible lag between pressing the gas and the truck starting to move, now boosted launch I would call it a drivers race. During my time with the Hemi I added a Maggie "14, S&B, and a Trinity tuned by Hemifever. The truck was decently quick and it sounded damn good, however I have a SCT Livewire with custom tunes from MPT (the only mod to the truck) currently running the 91 performance tune and this truck would destroy my Hemi. I shopped both trucks before I traded the 09 in, was going to order a '13 with the 8spd, sat down with the salesman and built the truck, haggled over numbers and came down to something agreeable but I'd been intriged by the Eco since it came out went and test drove one ran numbers on it and in the end I parked the Ford in my driveway for less than I could get the Ram for.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Rep:13
BlackHemiExpress is on a distinguished road

The thought of getting beat by an ecoboost saddens me. lol

Mufflex DOD18M & Custom Intake tube w/air box mox
Diablo Intune DCX with Hemifever Tuning
Longtubes coming soon...
RIPP supercharger coming soon...
Old 03-02-2013, 10:33 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge 1500 Ram - Quad Cab
Trim Level: TRX 4 Off Road
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl / Light Greystone Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:26
Rocky Harbour is on a distinguished road

This thread must be setting some kind of record. Over 500 posts and 60,000 views and it is still civilized to boot
Old 03-02-2013, 11:55 AM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram r/t
Trim Level: R/t
Color: White
Rep:14
Zedison is on a distinguished road

My take on the ecoboost is that it is pretty equal to the ram i love my ram and wouldnt trade it for anything but the ecoboost yes it is fast woth a little work but its forced induction kinda like the lightning stock for stock comparable but with just a tune and pulley they smoke the hemis the only thing i dont like about our hemis is the mds sucks mine is turned off and also the tranny is junk but hopefully they cam get em to hold together but i will say i have been smoked by an ecoboost that had literally everything you can put on the truck but still not that impressive with how they pull a trailer and i just love having the power of a v8 under the peddle and nit sounding like a rice burner plus the rams looks way better
2/4belltech drop,mufflex muffler delete,debadged,front,rear sway bars,adjustable trac bar,5%tint,87mm moes throttle body trinity with hemifever tune afe stage 2 cold air and long tubes on the bottle with 6.1 intake on the way
Old 03-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 F150
Rep:10
alacey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
Having owned both a 09 Ram Laramie and now a 13 eco FX4 I will say this about both trucks, the Ram is the better looking truck I won't deny that, interior is subjective I think the only thing looks wise the Ram has going for it that is more "luxurious" is the upscale models with the stitched look on the dash. The heated stearing wheel was a definite plus to me and is one thing I miss. Gas mileage has been similar with the edge going to the Ford, in town I get 1-2 MPG better. Hwy has been pretty much dead even. Ride on both to me seems similar, I'd say the Ram handles bumps better and isn't as jarring. Performance wise stock for stock (Ram had 3.92's Eco has 3.55's) my Ram would take my Eco if the race was just give it the gas and go. There is this horrible lag between pressing the gas and the truck starting to move, now boosted launch I would call it a drivers race. During my time with the Hemi I added a Maggie "14, S&B, and a Trinity tuned by Hemifever. The truck was decently quick and it sounded damn good, however I have a SCT Livewire with custom tunes from MPT (the only mod to the truck) currently running the 91 performance tune and this truck would destroy my Hemi. I shopped both trucks before I traded the 09 in, was going to order a '13 with the 8spd, sat down with the salesman and built the truck, haggled over numbers and came down to something agreeable but I'd been intriged by the Eco since it came out went and test drove one ran numbers on it and in the end I parked the Ford in my driveway for less than I could get the Ram for.
Yeah, I got a MPT and 5 Star tune on my Eco. It is amazing how much power these tunes add to these little engines. Over 60 horsepower with over 100lb-ft of torque added to the rear wheels for just $400 on a 10,000+ tow safe tune is just mind boggling. I would have had to spend thousands of dollars on my old 09 to get that amount of gains. It kind of makes me wonder if Ford sand bagged the tuning on this engine to be on the safe side. I spoke with Mike at 5 Star and Rick at Livernois Motorsports about the longevity of these things since I was worried what these tunes will do. Rick has torn these things down and told me "With 6 bolt mains, a forged crank along with the other beefed up internals, and water/oil cooled turbos, I would worry more about the other things lasting you lasting you 150k miles than the engine and turbos". I still like the sound of my old Hemi even though the exhaust noise is not even on my list of must haves on a truck I use as a truck.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:52 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
BlackHemiExpress is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedison View Post
My take on the ecoboost is that it is pretty equal to the ram i love my ram and wouldnt trade it for anything but the ecoboost yes it is fast woth a little work but its forced induction kinda like the lightning stock for stock comparable but with just a tune and pulley they smoke the hemis the only thing i dont like about our hemis is the mds sucks mine is turned off and also the tranny is junk but hopefully they cam get em to hold together but i will say i have been smoked by an ecoboost that had literally everything you can put on the truck but still not that impressive with how they pull a trailer and i just love having the power of a v8 under the peddle and nit sounding like a rice burner plus the rams looks way better
That's exactly how I feel. I love the sound of the Magnaflow on my Ram. I do hate how the trans shifts and mds.

Mufflex DOD18M & Custom Intake tube w/air box mox
Diablo Intune DCX with Hemifever Tuning
Longtubes coming soon...
RIPP supercharger coming soon...
Old 03-02-2013, 04:38 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

i find it hard to believe that equally equipped trucks, ford and ram, the ford could be had for less.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport 4X4 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep water blue pearl
bluedodgeram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacey View Post
You Hemi owners and your 0-60 times and the "I bought it because the Hemi sounds so good". Do you even actually use the trucks for what they are intended for? I am unsure if I missed a post or two but not one that I read said anything about towing, hualing, or anything of the sort in this thread. The F150 Ecoboost beats the Ram Hemi in every catagory in what a truck should be used for. Lets compare shall we. *all numbers are factual and comes directly from the truck manufactureres website and/or credible reviewers website ie. pickuptrucks.com

Towing: F150 3.5 Ecoboost 4-door 4x4 w/3.73 gears. 11,300 lbs.
Ram 5.7 Hemi 4-door 4x4 w/3.92 gears. 10,000 lbs.
Winner: Ford F150

Payload: F150 3.5 Ecoboost 4-door 4x4 w/3.73 gears. 2,440 lbs
Ram 5.7 Hemi 4-door 4x4 w/3.92 gears. 1,455 lbs

0-60 unloaded: This does not really matter much since it has no use in what a truck is intended for or. If you are really concerned with this then go buy a car.
F150 3.5 Ecoboost 4-door 4x4 w/3.73 gears. 6.1 seconds
Ram 5.7 Hemi 4-door 4x4 w/3.92 gears. 6.7 seconds

40-70 w/8,000 lbs: When using a truck for what it is really uintended for, this is the number that counts in the real world.
F150 3.5 Ecoboost 4-door 4x4 w/3.73 gears. 14.34 seconds
Ram 5.7 Hemi 4-door 4x4 w/3.92 gears. 17.91 seconds

MPG: F150 3.5 Ecoboost 4-door 4x4 w/3.73 gears. 16city/21hwy
Ram 5.7 Hemi 4-door 4x4 w/3.92 gears. 14city/20hwy

In all the areas in what a truck should be, the F150 3.5 Ecoboost beat the Ram Hemi hands down. Now I can see someone buying a Ram if they just needed a "city truck" or something to race boyracers down the highway with. But when you compare what a truck is intended for, the Ram has been weighed & measered, and has been found wanting.
Sorry, but where are the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are from?
Car and driver tested the Ram 5.7 0-60 6.7 secs with 3:55 rear end.
F-150 3.5 Ecoboost was 6.1secs with the 3:73 rear end.
Real world mileage between the 2 trucks about the same, read it up. And don't go by what the manufacture puts on the energuide, check on line what the real world MPG are, I mean what owners are really getting (the truth). When they did the davies dam tow test, the ecoboost had supposedly 150 000 equivelent miles. The Chev and Ram were practically new, with lots of torque management, due to being new. I test drove both being new, F-150 with the ecoboost 3:73 and the Ram 1500 with 3:92 and the hemi. When driving 60 kms/hr and then flooring it on both units, sorry, but the Ram with the hemi sits you back in the seat. While the ecoboost pulls good, but not as hard that I noticed. I not sure whos BSing who, but that's my verdict, and I had to test drive them both to double check. The 5.0 F-150 doesn't even come close to both the Ram Hemi or F-150 Ecoboost. Also check the K&N website for torque curve numbers at the rear wheels, numbers don't lie, but the Hemi has a flatter and consistant torque curve than the F-150 Ecoboost, according to their website dyno. Sorry but that's what I see.

Last edited by bluedodgeram; 03-10-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Rep:18
rango88 is on a distinguished road

I guess I am old school but i'll take displacement and extra cylinders over forced air and less cylinders any day. Just like I'll take pushrod over DOHC in a truck. It's not based on facts or the size off my junk but opinion.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rango88 View Post
I guess I am old school but i'll take displacement and extra cylinders over forced air and less cylinders any day. Just like I'll take pushrod over DOHC in a truck. It's not based on facts or the size off my junk but opinion.
I concur, when the Hemi produces what it does normally aspirated.......way too many expensive parts to potentially let go in the Eco-boost.Just think, all the cost saving they claim in gas doesn't add up to anything when the little V-6 wears out or one of the two turbos pukes.