DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:198
srtsir has a spectacular aura aboutsrtsir has a spectacular aura about
Default Wheel Adapters

After deciding on tires and placing my order last night on toyo mt's 35x12.5x20 I need to know if I can go with 1 inch adapters? I know people say 1/4 will clear it but I want tires to stick out more..I was wondering If I will rub with 1 inch or should I go with 1.5..I also placed an order for bilsteins 5100 front and back..I know people dont recommend wheel adapters but I have them on my Cobra with no problems at all...This is for 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4
5.7 HEMI, DIABLO, K&N INTAKE, MBRP CATBACK, 4.56 MOTIVE, DMH E-CUTOUTS, 22X10 SRT-10 RIMS (BLACK), 315/45/22 COOPER ZEON XST'S, 2/4.5 MCGAUGHYS DROP KIT, 6K HID'S FOGS & HEADS, RECON L.E.D TAILGATE STRIP, EFX ROLLPAN, TRUXEDO LO-PRO, HORNBLASTERS 156DB TRAIN HORN, HONEYCOMB GRILLE....
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2013, 06:39 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Untamed is on a distinguished road

I have had Adapters on my mustang, corvette and other truck with no problems.

You might have problems with the factory studs sticking through the spacer too much and hitting the rim. I have 1.5" adapters and had to grind the studs down a bit. All depends if your rims have spaces for the studs to stick through or not.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Rep:198
srtsir has a spectacular aura aboutsrtsir has a spectacular aura about

So how big of a wheel spacers do I need for 35x12.5x20 not to hit the ball joint with stock rim? I heard 1/4 should clear it..Will I rub with 1.5.. I am not worried about rocks if they stick out because my next mod would be bushwacker pocket flares...
5.7 HEMI, DIABLO, K&N INTAKE, MBRP CATBACK, 4.56 MOTIVE, DMH E-CUTOUTS, 22X10 SRT-10 RIMS (BLACK), 315/45/22 COOPER ZEON XST'S, 2/4.5 MCGAUGHYS DROP KIT, 6K HID'S FOGS & HEADS, RECON L.E.D TAILGATE STRIP, EFX ROLLPAN, TRUXEDO LO-PRO, HORNBLASTERS 156DB TRAIN HORN, HONEYCOMB GRILLE....
Old 03-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 1500 5.7L Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
lamarsh is on a distinguished road

I think the story of when I put my 35s on my 2008 Ram 1500 is directly on point to your question. In sum, what my story will get to is the answer YES, if your wheel offset does not allow enough space for the 35" tires to not rub on your control arm, sway bar, and other front end parts during any position of movement (including full turn to the right or left). I went through this same issue. Here's how and why:

I wanted the Mickey Ts, but for $100/tire less I settled on a set of GoodYear DuraTracs (which have been amazing, they just don't wear as well as the Mickey Ts). I called a local tire store with dozens of locations (Belle Tire) and gave them the relevant specs and info about my truck ('08 Ram 1500 independent front suspension with Bilstein 5100s all around, maxed out lift on the Bilsteins of about 2" and gave the specs and offset of my after market wheels) simply to get a yes or no answer as to whether those 35" tires will fit on my truck and clear the wheel well, control arm, sway bar, etc.

They looked into it, called me back and said yes they would fit, and if they didn't they would take them off and not make me buy them. Took her in, had them installed. Drove off the lot and got about 2 miles down the road until one front tire blew out completely. Popped it off only to realize that it was not only touching the control arm, it was literally WEDGED against the control arm! Both front tires literally had a 1" deep circular groove carved into them from the control arm friction while the tires spun around on them until they were destroyed. If I was on the freeway I could have been in a serious accident. Anyways, they ordered me two new ones free of charge, and threw on some half inch crummy spacers. They told me they checked it and it wasn't rubbing, but I immediately knew that they must have checked the darn things when the truck was still lifted up, not when it was lowered down and had the tires compressed and squished under the weight of the truck! Total morons, but they accepted responsibility and took care of it immediately.

Anyways, now, onto the 1" spacer issue. The tire store threw on some half inch spacers just to get my 35"s to fit--after realizing once they dropped the truck off the lift, the Duratracs wedged against the control arm, only way to stop that was with spacers/adapters. They would only give me these crummy spacers, I think made out of weak and thin aluminum. I read a ton of bad things about those, particularly that they are not strong enough to last on such a heavy duty independent front suspension. So, I ordered some 1" spacers machined specifically for my truck from a company out in Nevada called Motorsport Tech (I'm sure there's other companies that do this, this is just the one I used). They weren't cheap, $170 for a set of 4, $195 out the door, but they are totally bomb proof. It took them a few weeks to make them, but they are the real deal. I recommend something like this over the cheap flimsy ones they'll throw on your truck at a tire store. I believe the model of the spacers I put on my truck are the "BORA" (Bullet Proof Offroad Adaptors) spacers. They have a website, but I think I just picked up the phone and ordered them directly because it made me feel better.

Also, as a side note, with 35" tires and heavy duty adaptors, you'll be adding substantial weight to your axles, so be prepared to get raped on fuel economy. That's something I never thought of. Still don't regret getting 35s, as they are badass, I'm just saying that I never thought about that.

Another thing I didn't think of was the fact that, with the spacers, my tires stuck out and started throwing mud and stones around, so I had to buy some fender flares, which ran me about $350 because the Bushwacker pocket flares are pretty much the only ones I find to be cool looking. In sum, throw on 35" tires and it'll but a smile on your face, but you might be opening up a can of worms (a fun can of worms)!

--Lamarsh
Old 03-12-2013, 03:37 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Untamed is on a distinguished road

I have ordered all my spacers form ezaccessory.com. Their spacers, and I'm sure most other spacers from other companies are made out of aircraft aluminum which is very strong. You should never have a problem. I have experienced them loosening on me when I was doing some hard mudding... only due to the fact that the studs on the adapter aren't always sunk into them from the factory so you need to tighten them up pretty tight once you put the wheel on to sink the studs into the adapters when you install them.

As for your question.. 1.5" is more than enough. I'm running 12.5" tires with 1.5" adapters and I have more clearance from the control arms than I had with the stock setup.. You will have to invest in some flares asap if you want to save your paint though.

Last edited by Untamed; 03-12-2013 at 03:51 PM.