DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 RAM SLT REG. CABX2
Trim Level: SLT
Color: CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:61
RammD will become famous soon enough

If this isn't weird I don't know what is. I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes or so and when I reconnected and started up the truck the red vehicle security indicator light went away, but the tire pressure management system light is on and solid and there's a message that says Service Tire Pressure System. So it appears the Tire Pressure system is the culprit.

That isn't what is weird though. What's weird is that just a week or so ago my tire pressure system was reporting low on a tire that ended up having a piece of medal in which I had to get removed and patched. Only 2 days later the exact OPPOSITE side tire started showing low and kept dropping as the day went on so I assumed the bad tire was't patched properly and the tires were balanced and rotated and that tire ended up making its way on the opposite side. I called and spoke to the guy at America's Tire who did the work and he said that the tire was in the same spot and he didn't rotate them. So I inspected further and saw a small nail in the tire! What is odd is that the tire pressure system at the time was acting a little funky. While it was reporting 100% accurately that the tires were low, on a couple of occasions when I filled the tires up above capacity, the TPMS showed the correct air pressure, but it still blinked for the bad tire as "low". For example, after I put 38lbs of air in one of the tires, the TPMS reflected the 38lbs correctly, but that tire was blinking and saying low.

But after both tires were patched and filled I had no issues with the TPMS at all for a week so I figured all the issues were done with. But about a week later the TPMS is showing dashes in all 4 tire areas and the message is saying to get the Tire Pressure System Serviced (which i'll do soon.)
Anyway, what's the chances of having 2 tires with nails/medal go bad in a week and right after have the TPMS go faulty? I wonder if both of those issues had any bearing on screwing up the TPMS?

And as far as the vehicle security indicator goes, I think that may of been a system glitch that reset with the battery disconnect. I had or possibly still "have" a separate issue where it looks like either one of my ballasts or caps on my hids is bad. I did swap out the ballast but the same issue was present and when I move that one capacitor around a little with the lights on I get flicker out of that headlight so I'm thinking that one cap is bad. I did find a sweet spot and use 3M industrial double sided tape to hold that ballast and capacitor down and haven't had any issues since...but I ordered a pair of caps just in case as they were $9 and I didn't want to take any chances.
Man....sometimes when it rains it pours.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:50 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:656
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

the one thing your leaving out is when you get the tpms error...is the tire pressure in all 4 tires up to the specified pressure?...I've seen it happen in my wifes car and it's always been low pressure in one of them... now if you go out and check all tires and tell us that they are all reading say 38 lbs, then I'd suspect something faulty in the electronics... also, when you get new tires, they will ask you if you want the tpms valves rebuilt, sometimes that could be the culprit as well..
Old 03-12-2013, 05:43 PM

@chefred,

I know I wrote some long posts...my apologies for that. I did, however, specify exactly what you stated. I mentioned that when I had the whacky TPMS read issue it was after I had actually filled up to a few pounds over capcacity. For example, the first issue was with my Driver's side front tire. My tires take 35psi which is where I normally keep them. When the indicator initially went off I had something like 29psi in that tire so it was definitely getting low and it ended up having a piece of metal in it. But what I was saying was whacky was AFTER I filled up to 38psi (3 pounds over), the warning indicator STILL STAYED ON AND FLASHED ON THAT ONE TIRE, but it actually read 38PSI. So the TPMS read the correct tire pressure it just didn't reset the warning light and it still kept flashing low. Not more then a day or so later did I end up having a very small nail in my Passenger's Side Front Tire and the TPMS went off again. This time the TPMS performed flawlessly. I ended up getting both tires fixed and thought that was the end of the problem until this warning message now about servicing the tire system.

Fast Forward to right now....after driving around for a little bit the Tire Pressure warning light went away and the message that said to Service the Tire Pressure System is gone! It's like it was never there. No red vehicle security light, no warning light, no service tire system message...nothing! Disconnecting the battery seemed to work great and get everything reset and back in order. Thanks to all who replied...the info was appreciated.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:656
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

that's interesting because it should be instantaneous when you have the correct pressure for the tpms to reset itself...hopefully it's just a slight glitch that corrected itself and went away... next time try a ecm reset when everything should be working correctly, but glad to see it's working now..
Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
that's interesting because it should be instantaneous when you have the correct pressure for the tpms to reset itself...hopefully it's just a slight glitch that corrected itself and went away... next time try a ecm reset when everything should be working correctly, but glad to see it's working now..
I definitely agree. I can say that maybe because the TPMS went off twice with 2 separate tires and two completely different incidents, within 2 days apart that somehow the TPMS got a little screwy. Now that i've done the battery disconnect i'll just keep an eye on everything. If the TPMS acts up again or there are any other issues, I'll make an appt. with the dealer. My truck's under warranty but i'm definitely happy I don't have to take time to take it in. Should I have any other issues with the TPMS or any other warning lights and get them corrected I'll update this post. If I don't update, then all is fine and back to normal.