DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-22-2012, 05:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab 4X4
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
juicestain09 is on a distinguished road
Default U-Connect module replacement - self install or dealer?

I recently bought my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab and it needs the U-Connect module replaced. I had my local Dodge dealership order the part for me, but I'm wondering if I can install it or if the dealership needs to. The part itself was expensive enough as it is, if I could get away from paying shop labour costs I'd be all for it. The reason I initially thought Dodge had to install it themselves was because the same sort of thing happened with my 2002 Pontiac Aztek and I had to get GM to install the part because they had to program it to my vehicle or something like that.

Does Dodge need to install it for me for this purpose, or can I install it myself? Looking at the replacement procedure, it's easy as pie so it would be nice if I could do it myself.

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

You can do the install. I'm not sure off the top of my head if it will need to be programmed with the VIN or not. Even if it does, the dealer can do that for you regardless of who installs it.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
You can do the install. I'm not sure off the top of my head if it will need to be programmed with the VIN or not. Even if it does, the dealer can do that for you regardless of who installs it.
Perfect. The hourly shop labour fees up here are crazy so that should save me about $300, even if they do have to program it.

So my next question then: does the same module that runs the u-connect run the overhead garage door opener buttons and the compass? I was told that by the dealer but I just want to make sure.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:39 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Express RC 2WD
Trim Level: Express Regular Cab
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:74
jmr will become famous soon enough

That is a different module located in the overhead console and the Homelink buttons are part of that module. The u-connect module is located on the passenger side kick panel.

'14 RAM 1500 Express RC 2WD 3.6L 8SPD 3.55 W/LSD uConnect 5.0 Red Calipers, K&N Filter, 4" AirBox Intake Tube, Cabin Air Filter, Upper Glove Box, OEM Hemi Dual Exhaust
Old 12-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

You can install it yourself
the dealership may have to program it, but if it worked before, it may just be plug & play

look at the front of your radio, right lower corner next to the auxiliary plug
what are the 3 letters printed there
with the 2009 Laramie, i would guess RER 730n
but it may be something else, like RHR, RHB, RBZ, hopefully not the REN, RES

by the way, do you have the full floor console or not ?
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr View Post
That is a different module located in the overhead console and the Homelink buttons are part of that module. The u-connect module is located on the passenger side kick panel.
I should've clarified myself. The compass is displayed in the cluster driver info center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
You can install it yourself
the dealership may have to program it, but if it worked before, it may just be plug & play

look at the front of your radio, right lower corner next to the auxiliary plug
what are the 3 letters printed there
with the 2009 Laramie, i would guess RER 730n
but it may be something else, like RHR, RHB, RBZ, hopefully not the REN, RES

by the way, do you have the full floor console or not ?
I have the bucket seats, not the full floor console. I'd have to check the stereo to confirm, but I believe you are correct that it is the RER 730N.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i found this on a Jeep site, they use many of the same radios as the Rams do

i thought that, the RER 730N has a Uconnect module within the unit

but read for yourself, it came from this site, maybe you can figure it out
http://www.wkjeeps.com/Mygig_parts.htm#ABOUTPN

UConnect Hands Free Bluetooth - All versions of the MyGIG RER navigation radios feature UConnect built-in (a wiring harness is required for operation, see "Upgrading" section below). The non-navigation versions of the MyGIG radio (model REN) do not have UConnect built-in, but will interface with the factory UConnect system, if equipped. UConnect is the exclusive voice-activated, hands-free, in-vehicle communications system. It encourages safe vehicle operation and doesn't compromise driver control. UConnect allows you to dial your wireless phone through simple voice commands. In addition, UConnect mutes your radio before receiving or sending a call, allows you to store up to 32 names and four numbers per name (128 entries) in the system's phonebook, and is flexible enough for an entire family (up to five phones can be linked to the system). UConnect includes Bluetooth technology that enables your wireless phone to connect to your vehicle without wires or a docking station. This leading edge technology will allow you to store your wireless phone anywhere in the vehicle.

The UConnect™ system is fully integrated with the vehicle’s audio system. The radio display will be used for visual prompts from the UConnect™ system such as phone battery status, signal strength, caller ID, and call type. NOTE: Your phone may not support all available UConnect™ features. Refer to your vehicle owner’s manual for UConnect™ system operating instructions.

Good Luck
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-23-2012, 01:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

how to take out your radio

Old 03-12-2013, 08:57 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Stone White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:36
ltdan is on a distinguished road

If you have the RER, there is no uconnect module. If the truck did not come with uconnect but you have the RER 730n (touch screen with nav), you just need either the auto dimming rear view mirror with the built in microphones, or a $35 dollar mic that plugs straight in the the back of the radio.
If you have a non Nav MyGig (430), it has the separate module. The install is easy, just figure out where it's located, remove and replace. I know it has to be programmed by the dealer with a Starscan tool if you did not originally have it, but I'm not sure about replacements.

Last edited by ltdan; 03-12-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:41 PM

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

Wow, another answered 3 month old posting. Not sure but the person most likely already has the answer they were looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdan View Post
If you have the RER, there is no uconnect module. If the truck did not come with uconnect but you have the RER 730n (touch screen with nav), you just need either the auto dimming rear view mirror with the built in microphones, or a $35 dollar mic that plugs straight in the the back of the radio.
If you have a non Nav MyGig (430), it has the separate module. The install is easy, just figure out where it's located, remove and replace. I know it has to be programmed by the dealer with a Starscan tool if you did not originally have it, but I'm not sure about replacements.