DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
dodge29 is on a distinguished road
Default 2011 Crew cab starting issue, please help!

Hello, new to this forum.

I have a 2011 crew cab, 5.7 liter hemi. It has started to have an intermittent starting problem that the dealership won't touch because it never happens while there. Honestly I don't think they are looking at it. Although for some reason the have toned me that the issue doesn't set any code. Apparently the "regional" guy said so !!!???

When you turn the key, some times there is a click with no crank, sometimes no click at all.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

A no crank issue won't set a DTC if it's a starter related issue, which it what it sounds like to me. If they can't duplicate the problem and there's no history of other vehicles with the same issue, there really isn't anything else for them to do until they catch it in the act.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
A no crank issue won't set a DTC if it's a starter related issue, which it what it sounds like to me. If they can't duplicate the problem and there's no history of other vehicles with the same issue, there really isn't anything else for them to do until they catch it in the act.
So, basically we will have to get stranded somewhere before they will turn a wrench? Nice. There does seem to be some history in the forums about this. I guess Chrysler is reading a different history book!

Last edited by dodge29; 03-21-2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Angry
Old 03-22-2013, 08:16 AM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

It's not that they don't want to fix it but they have to know what's wrong first. The tech's aren't allowed to just blindly throw parts at a vehicle hoping it will fix an intermittent problem.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

My point is that there is a finite number of componenets in the system that cranks and starts the engine, at least I assume that. So, if the "regional" service guy aleady stated that "there is no code set for this problem", and he did, it seems like Dodge is at least a little familar with the issue. Searches on foumes like these have shown me this as well.

Wouldn't you think the dealer would have someone at least look through that system for any visual clues to the probelm? Instead they just blow me off every time.

In 1.5 months were headed on our yearly visit to the outer banks and I'd rather not take a malfunctioing truck and play the satart/no start lottery at each stop.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:38 AM

You're correct about a finite number of components and therefore a finite number of potential problems. Have they not taken the truck into the shop and at least performed a visual inspection of the starting system and is this why you're feeling like they are blowing you off? They should have at least done that much along with checking for any codes, researching similar cases and checking for service bullitens. Any up-to-speed service manager should know that they can get paid for doing this regardless of wheter or not they find a problem. If the service manager is the one blowing you off, I would recommend calling Chrysler customer service or taking it to another dealer.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

There was no code set for this particular problem. No they wouldn’t look it over until the problem occurred for them.

It actually happened for the mechanics today while at the dealership, and I just talked to the mechanic that worked on it. It was a shift linkage issue. He thinks they have the shift linkage adjusted properly now. He said that if it stops starting again to use the neutral position to start and bring it back, they will try again.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:08 PM

That makes sense, but not even bothering to look at it until it acts up is not a good way to promote return business.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Yeah, I agree. Especially when they knew that it wasn't setting codes. That obviously points to a "mechanical" problem. So, you'd think there would have been more interest in looking it over. I know we will be getting a survey from Chrysler for this ad I'll have to be honest.

I haven't tried starting it yet today, it was in the teens here lat night so any control linkage would have shrunk . . .
Old 03-23-2013, 10:47 AM

I get the impression that this service department thinks that if there isn't a code or something falling off, then there isn't a problem.