DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Standard
Color: Blue
Rep:10
MichaelNC is on a distinguished road
Default Tire Advice

Just bought a used 2011 Ram 1500 2WD Regular Cab and I love it! It only has 22,000 miles. My question is about tires. It has Goodyear Wrangler HP P275/60R20's on it. They are also nitrogen filled. All four tires have started cupping on the outside treads. What would cause this and is this the best tire for this truck? I drive around town, back and forth to work and pull a 21' Bass boat 3-4 times a month. No off roading or hauling. Any advice or suggestions?
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I personally like Cooper Cobra tires for what you're doing with your truck. They ride and handle well, maintain a good wear pattern with reasonable care and proper alignment, and they look good too. The current tires you have a generally regarded as garbage. The wear you're seeing is normal for tires that aren't rotated regularly, and most importantly, in the correct pattern.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Standard
Color: Blue
MichaelNC is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply....but...Do they come in 20" ? As I stated in my original post I have 20" wheels I researched them and 20" are not an option. Also this is a passenger tire. Does that really work on a truck?
Old 03-23-2013, 02:15 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

My apologies for that - I got my tire models mixed up. The Discoverer line, specifically the H/T is the one I was thinking of. Two of my Ram owning coworkers have canned the Goodyears in favor of these and have nothing but praise for them. I've driven several trucks with them and have to say I prefer the ride of these tires over the Wranglers.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram CC
Trim Level: SLT/BigHorn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
garnetchicken is on a distinguished road

I am replacing my Goodyears in the next week or so.I work at Michelin and I am going with either the BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A(Great looking tire), Michelin LTX M/S or LTX AT2, or BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour(Leaning more toward this one).Filling them with Nitrogen doesn't do anything for you, besides take your money.

Last edited by garnetchicken; 03-23-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:48 PM

I normally like BFG tires, but didn't care for the Long Trail's. They didn't deliver much in the way of wet traction, be it in water or snow.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:26 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Bighorn Crew Cab V-6
Trim Level: SLT bighorn V-6
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
emmyshemi is on a distinguished road

I am also sick of the Goodyear hp garage. They are down right dangerous in the rain and snow. I think I'm going to go with Firestone Destination LE2. The have outstanding reviews on tirerack, and they have a real nice price. I think a set of 4 installed can be had for under $775.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
I personally like Cooper Cobra tires for what you're doing with your truck. They ride and handle well, maintain a good wear pattern with reasonable care and proper alignment, and they look good too. The current tires you have a generally regarded as garbage. The wear you're seeing is normal for tires that aren't rotated regularly, and most importantly, in the correct pattern.
Not to thread jack but I'm sure this will help the OP too. What rotation pattern do you recommend? Found this on Tire Rack. What are your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNC View Post
Thanks for the reply....but...Do they come in 20" ? As I stated in my original post I have 20" wheels I researched them and 20" are not an option. Also this is a passenger tire. Does that really work on a truck?
I agree that the Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus is a great tire for what it sounds like you do. I have done a ton of research and I am actually thinking very seriously about ordering a set for my 4x4 QC. As for your question about passenger tires....yes, the Coopers are "P" tires rather than "LT" tires. But so are the stock Goodyears. Actually, these particular Coopers, along with most if not all Cooper tires in this size, are XL (extra load) rated rather than SL (standard load) like the stock Goodyears. The alternative is "LT" tires. Nothing against them by any means other than they might ride a tad stiffer but the truth is that the majority of pickup trucks don't need them and don't run them. So yeah, no need to worry.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 AM

I prefer A as my first choice, because it reverses the direction of rotation on the front tires and those are the ones that usually show the uneven wear. B is my second choice, unless a lot of unusual wear has already set in, especially where mud tires are concerned.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:12 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

A is what I had in mind. Thanks!
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.