DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Pewter
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
WyoUltra is on a distinguished road
Default New Speakers Distorting

So I have replaced the stock front speakers in my truck with kenwoods. I just swapped them straight across with the factory wiring, and they worked fine. A few weeks down the road they would work intermittently, until altogether they just stopped. Thought it was a malfunction with my deck (used aftermarket kenwood) so I replaced it with a new one and no luck. So I just gave up and wired the front speakers directly to the back of the deck, bypassing the factory plug in, as well as the cluster of wires going into the speaker "cup". Works great, no complaints, except for the fact I can't turn it up very loud until it starts to distort and crackle in the medium-high to higher volumes. Any ideas?
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:27
StoneyWV is on a distinguished road

Yep, one idea.

I"m going to guess the aftermarket speakers you put in are rated for something about 80wrms each??

If so then you don't have enough power coming from that deck to push them. If you aren't going to amp the speakers always best to buy the ones rated around 25-30 wrms.
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Pewter
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
WyoUltra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyWV View Post
Yep, one idea.

I"m going to guess the aftermarket speakers you put in are rated for something about 80wrms each??

If so then you don't have enough power coming from that deck to push them. If you aren't going to amp the speakers always best to buy the ones rated around 25-30 wrms.
Actually I don't know what to think, I pulled my deck out today and checked the connections. Everything was fine, so I turned the truck on and they work great again. They are actually playing just fine and not even distorting... So I guess I'll see what happens.