DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
Sumguy is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Ram 5.2L -> Fuel economy questions

I've got a 2001 Dodge Ram Laramie SLT that I bought new in April 2001. It's a regular cab, long box, 2-WD, limited slip, leather interior, power windows / seats, overhead electronic information display console.

Its got about 31k miles on it right now.

It's never given me great fuel economy on the highway, and there's always been some "bogging" or a dead-zone in the gas pedal that's evident if you want to accelerate from say 30 to 40 mph.

I was on the highway recently and at 68 - 70 mph it's doing about 1900 rpm. If I back it down to 62 mph the rpm's drop to about 1750.

At 68 mph on level ground with a bit of a headwind, my overhead electronic display says I'm doing about 14 mpg (this is with two people in the truck, a practically empty gas tank, and nothing in the box). Tires are brand new Firestone Destination A/T 245/75-16 and must be a bit bigger than OEM because my speedo reads maybe 2 mph slower than actual speed (GPS) on the highway. Tires have about 40 psi (max rating = 50 psi).

The truck has always passed it's emission's tests (first test at 3 years old and then every 2 years after that).

I seem to recall in the past that I used to get 18 mpg on the highway under similar conditions.

I *might* also be hearing what could be a vacuum leak (a whistle from under the hood) and maybe I should hook up a vacuum guage to see what sort of vacuum the engine is pulling during normal driving (I did that with a '65 Dodge Polara I had in high school).

But fundamentally, my questions are:

Is the 2001 Ram 2WD with 5.2 engine (or in general any year with the 5.2 engine) known to be a gas hog? What MPG should I be getting on the highway?

Is the bogging or the flat-spot on the gas pedal common on this model?
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

I've heard 18 mpg from my friends. Does sound like a vacume leak. You might have 3:55 gears. Could be a bad vac hose or a leaking intake manifold, etc.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 04-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

Well I have a 01 318 2wheel extended cab. I have 171k on it and cold weather gas it will get mid to high 15's and on summer gas can get 18 plus. Now one thing its stock tires and 5 speed. Also just added k&n filter so we will see if that improves.