DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-02-2013, 02:14 AM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1463
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

I have the 730N as well and have an issue. Neither of the USB ports (in the upper glove box or in the radio face) will read an inserted USB flash (thumb) drive. Dealer looked at it, had their 'Radio Expert' troubleshoot and he couldn't get either of the ports to read a flash drive either. He said I either need a radio flash (what's this?) or a completely new radio head.

I returned the following week for a separate issue and the service techs addressed my USB port issue again while she was in their shop.. final word that I received on the issue is that my 'USB' ports are not meant to read regular flash drives like you can use with a laptop or home computer.. they only work when inserting the USB end of a cell phone's or MP3 player's charging cord. (The service rep had walked out and plugged her I-Phone into my truck and said it worked perfectly.. so she is basing her statement on this.)

I re-read the manual for my 730N at that point and it clearly states that you CAN use a flash/thumb drive in the RAM's USB ports. Please advise on the next step I should take here..? Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 AM
My Truck Stinks!!!!!!!!!!

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:14
Medic860 is on a distinguished road

I havent even tried to use my usb other then trying to transfer a pic from a phone which didnt work. I have yet to look for the usb around the glovebox area yet. Hell, i would be happy to have a clean truck for a day if it were not for all the tree pollen all over it Im going to pick up a thumb drive today to see if i can get it to work. Do you have the latest software update for your radio? Give these folks a call, they helped me with mine and even sent out the disks for software update and gracenotes for free......http://www.oemautopartsco.com/

Last edited by Medic860; 04-03-2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added info
Old 04-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:294
SoCal Ram is a jewel in the roughSoCal Ram is a jewel in the roughSoCal Ram is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1OTE View Post
I have the 730N as well and have an issue. Neither of the USB ports (in the upper glove box or in the radio face) will read an inserted USB flash (thumb) drive. Dealer looked at it, had their 'Radio Expert' troubleshoot and he couldn't get either of the ports to read a flash drive either. He said I either need a radio flash (what's this?) or a completely new radio head.

I returned the following week for a separate issue and the service techs addressed my USB port issue again while she was in their shop.. final word that I received on the issue is that my 'USB' ports are not meant to read regular flash drives like you can use with a laptop or home computer.. they only work when inserting the USB end of a cell phone's or MP3 player's charging cord. (The service rep had walked out and plugged her I-Phone into my truck and said it worked perfectly.. so she is basing her statement on this.)

I re-read the manual for my 730N at that point and it clearly states that you CAN use a flash/thumb drive in the RAM's USB ports. Please advise on the next step I should take here..? Thanks!
Did you format the USB stick as "FAT 32"? I did this and it worked. Uploaded a bunch of MP3 to the HD. It worked just fine, from the glove box port, so the dealer is WRONG!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Ram Ham

KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic860 View Post
Do you have the latest software update for your radio? Give these folks a call, they helped me with mine and even sent out the disks for software update and gracenotes for free......http://www.oemautopartsco.com/
How do I tell if my software is up to date? Thanks for the link.. once I figure out if my software needs updating, I'll certainly contact them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Ram View Post
Did you format the USB stick as "FAT 32"? I did this and it worked. Uploaded a bunch of MP3 to the HD. It worked just fine, from the glove box port, so the dealer is WRONG!
Yes, I followed the steps in the manual and still nothing worked. I even used one USB stick that has a light that illuminates when it is connected.. it illuminated when inserted into both ports, but the radio display still did not recognize anything was connected..?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:18 PM
My Truck Stinks!!!!!!!!!!

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:14
Medic860 is on a distinguished road

Do you have the RER730N or the RHR 730N?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:40 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500
Color: White
Rep:294
SoCal Ram is a jewel in the roughSoCal Ram is a jewel in the roughSoCal Ram is a jewel in the rough

You know what, after I thought about it all day I think the dealer was RIGHT, I was wrong. As I remember now, I had to make CDs (FAT 32 format) after I tried everything with the USB stick. That was the only way I could upload MP3s. Sorry folks.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:31 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:52
astroman54 will become famous soon enough

One of the things I fou
nd with the RHR radio (pretty much the same firmware) is that there has to be a music file on the thumb drive (either a .MP3 or a .WMA file) before the radio will recognize it as a valid drive. You may want to try that.

Andy
Old 04-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:117
Socalgordon will become famous soon enoughSocalgordon will become famous soon enough

I have the RHR 730N and if I insert a USB drive (formatted to fat 32) and has no files on it, the radio acts like nothing it there. I take the same drive and place a mp3 or wav file and it starts to play those songs.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Ram Ham

Well.. after a few hours of intense transferring (time frame mailing due to my having a brand new phone I am still unfamiliar with), I was able to transfer all my photos from my laptop to my phone to my HDD all via the phone's USB cable. This method worked, however it would've been nice if it would've worked by way of the USB thumb drive.

Andy.. thanks for the idea.. I will try that next time. For the meantime, I think I've had my fill of transferring for now lol