DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Forest Green
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
moaccountant is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Transmission problems with engine code

Hello fellow Ram fans,

I had an engine code pop up this week, and went to o'reilly to have it scanned. The code is PO783 "3-4 shift". Aparently, there is a solenoid/band problem, accoding to the guy that scanned it. I haven't noticed much other than it takes a few seconds to upshift if I'm not hammering the gas pedal. It is a '97 5.9 gas w/ auto trans.

How serious is this? Will it eventually quit shifting, damage it further if not fixed, etc? Should I begin scouring the junk yard for a replacement tranny? Thank you all for your help.
Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Nope not a serious matter at all! NO YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO GET ANOTHER TRANSMISSION, Last thing you want to do is go buy a transmission at the junk yard, you are just going to buy another ticking time bomb!

All you need to do is replace the 3-4 shift solenoid and I would recommend that you replace the 3-4 servo piston spring, even if it doesn't need replacing.

Here are a couple links for the parts, oh yea you are going to need a gasket kit for the oil pan. So go to advanced auto and buy a gasket and filter kit for the 46RH (covers the 46-48RE/RH in your year). Cost is like 5 bucks...

You will need a torque wrench, an inch lb torque wrench. Be SURE YOU DON'T OVER TIGHTEN ANY OF THE VALVE BODY BOLTS! Otherwise you will wish you hadn't of even touched your truck.

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/A22936.html SPRING
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/12420B.html SOLENOID

You are going to have to remove the valve body in order to replace the solenoid, if you search through all my posts I have a manual in there somewhere. If you cannot find it just tell me and I will give you the run down, this is if another member doesn't answer your question first.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Smile thank you

Ramvan:

Thank you very much. It's the best news I've received with regards to the beast. Thank you for the info...now time to shop and prepare for my tranny fluid bath!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:54 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaccountant View Post
Ramvan:

Thank you very much. It's the best news I've received with regards to the beast. Thank you for the info...now time to shop and prepare for my tranny fluid bath!
You are welcome, a happy transmission makes for a happy owner.
Oh if you decide to replace the fluid I recommend Valvoline ATF+4. While you have the transmission pan off, adjust the rear band. The front band you should adjust as well, doesn't require the pan to be removed.

Also if you cannot find a manual for valve body removal, just ask and I can provide you with one. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a post around the forum though, I have done numerous write ups on the subject.

Anyways, if you get stuck somewhere don't be a stranger to ask me any questions.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Other things I should do???

Thank you for all of your help. I still have to find the time to do the repair.

While I plan to do it, though, is there anything else I should do while I'm in there? That is, while I have the pan off? I have never touched a tranny, so this will certainly be a learning experience.

In addition to the code error, I do have a weird noise while idling in drive-- kind of a grinding/rattle noise. It also whines/rattles a bit when I back up. Any thoughts?

Thanks agian!!
Old 04-09-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaccountant View Post
Thank you for all of your help. I still have to find the time to do the repair.

While I plan to do it, though, is there anything else I should do while I'm in there? That is, while I have the pan off? I have never touched a tranny, so this will certainly be a learning experience.

In addition to the code error, I do have a weird noise while idling in drive-- kind of a grinding/rattle noise. It also whines/rattles a bit when I back up. Any thoughts?

Thanks agian!!
The whine in reverse is normal actually, it is due to a high pressure leak at the pressure regulator valve. The fix is to replace the pressure regulator valve with the sonnax replacement, this replacement will cure the whine noise and it also will give a smoother apply of the rear clutch when you shift the transmission into reverse.

When you have the pan off, check the 3-4 shift shift spring; this spring is located in the 3-4 shift servo. Also aside from the usual band adjustment I would seriously consider replacing the front servo cover with the sonnax replacement cover, this will correct the long slide 2-3 shift which all of these older 4spd torqueflites suffer from. Not only does this cure a long slide 2-3 shift but it also prevents burning out the rear clutch during the 3rd gear engagement.

The noise in idle with the gear selector in drive could be associated with the torque converter, the grinding can be because the torque converter clutch is broken or a piece of a vain has broken off and is circulating around inside the converter, this isn't very common however the torque converter clutch issue is very common. If you want I could suggest that you replace the spool valve, this won't fix the issue however it will prevent any future damage to the converter and it also makes for a firmer application of the lockup clutch. If you do want to replace the converter, you can get the pro king one from advanced auto it is part number CR63, I have used this converter before and it performs well. Not a racing converter but it is more than sufficient, consider it a stock replacement.

NOW, make sure that there isn't anything loose that is causing the rattling, check any heat shields, the hood, etc before you dive in and replace a converter. I could be wrong about the converter, but I could be right about it; so just be sure to rule out any possible causes.