DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 3500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Two-tone. Mud and not mud.
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
TMYTQLA is on a distinguished road
Default Front end clunk sound while turning

Hi folks.

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong place. Still new to the forum and wasn't sure where this fell under, since I am unsure what the problem is. So, if it needs to be moved, please feel free.

Second, so I don't get asked later, I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 with AWD option, Automatic Quad cab with no lift or leveling kit. The front end suspension was replaced about a year ago.

Third, the problem. I have had this occur several times but it is intermittent and so hard to diagnose and thus hard to take to a dealer. I'm not a truck guru but have read and have thought of several things it MIGHT be but in all my readings have not come across an identical set of circumstances.
Here's the situation:
I was turning right into a driveway (minor bump) and because of the angle, I had to turn the steering wheel all the way to the right. As I did so, there was a series of loud clunks (metal sounding) and as soon as I moved the steering wheel back, even a fraction of an inch, it stopped immediately. This has happened once before and it was similar situation, minus the bump. It was a U-Turn in a parking lot and I turned the wheel all the way, for about 2 seconds and it started to make the noise. As soon as I moved the steering wheel back slightly, it stopped. Same direction. Happens going forward and back. Was not in AWD or 4X4 so I don't suspect a CV Joint issue. Was on dry roads both times in RWD. Sound does not happen turning left. The truck drives fine, there is no pull to either side. It rides fine, no undue shaking, wobbling nor bounce. Most of the front end suspension was replaced about a year ago. Never hear the noise other than in those odd situations.

So, is this possibly normal (can't believe it would be but one never knows) and if not, what could it be. My layman's guess would be the track bar is loose. But that's just a guess from reading on this and other forums. I am reluctant to take it to the dealer without having some background info, especially since it doesn't happen 100% of the time.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Big Horn QC
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver 4 x 4
Rep:86
05cr125r will become famous soon enough

i'm no guru either brother...but mine does the same thing at times. Brought the truck into my mechanic and he said it was normal and not to worry. But i'm not saying this could be true for you...let me know what you find out. Good luck
Mods; Line X, Bilsteins set at 2.1, Magnaflow 18", Debadged , Blue LED Interior, LED license plate, Blue LED reverse, Fronts tinted 20 %, Stubby Antenna,AVS WindowVisors, Black Honeycomb Grille Insert
Old 03-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well, I think I am mechanic bound. I went over a large rut in our work parking lot this morning and there was a noticeable squeak/clunk/groan from the front passenger side. I was turning right, into my spot at the time but I didn't have the wheel turned all the way as I did before. Did not happen going over the same rut last night, when I was backing out but I did not have the wheel turned then as I backed straight out. Have an appointment for Thursday. I'll post results for anyone who is interested.

Cheers.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge RAM 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Almost A SRT10 is on a distinguished road

How many miles are on the Wheel bearings? If they have low miles what brand did you get? The non grease able bearings are known to fail or so I have been told. I was experiencing a similar problem, after changing them no more noise.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Not sure. The suspension work was done by the dealer before I purchased the truck. I imagine (typically) the dealer will use the cheapest parts they can. That being the case, it can be something I look into. Thanks for the input.

Once I have a definitive answer, I'll be posting it here. Sharing makes the forum go 'round.

Last edited by TMYTQLA; 03-20-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

So now it won't make the sound. I went over the same bump, did the same things I did yesterday, same basic weather conditions and no squeak, no sound at all. I checked the trac bar, the tie rods and CV joints as best as I could. No obvious issue. I am always reluctant to bring in my truck to a mechanic. They ALWAYS find something. I may just wait and see how it goes over the next few weeks. This is maddening.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:27
Maddevill is on a distinguished road
Red face Noise

My truck was making a pop or groan when I turned the wheel and what it was , the alignment guys didn't tighten the bolts on the upper control arm. The arm was moving in the slot the bolt sits in. I had to take it back and get it realigned.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I cancelled my appointment. The noise mysteriously went away. I tried to get it to come back but it did not, no matter which I turned and no matter what bumps I went over. I am going to make an appointment to have a complete inspection done in a few weeks and will update then.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 3500
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Helen Welsh is on a distinguished road

Maybe this is where I post a question? I have a 2011 4x4 Dodge Ram 3500. When you turn ( not all the time ) the wheel it makes a bump or popping noise. this condition seems to enhance when the roads are wet or raining. The dealership has replaced the track bar and all ball joints. They are stumped and so are we. Anyone have any suggestions on what to check?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT - Quad Cab
Color: Graphite Metalic
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:118
tjbiker031 will become famous soon enoughtjbiker031 will become famous soon enough

Well usually we don't revive old threads to ask a question. You can just make a new thread.

But to answer your question, a clunk can come from many thing like worn ball joints, tire rod, cv axle and u joints, worn control arm bushings (upper/lower), sway bar bushins and end link bushings, bad bearings, loose lug nuts, loose brake caliper bolts....and the list goes on.

If the dealer had a good tech, they would spend the time and diagnose the problem properly and not throw parts at it hoping it would fix it. hopefully you didnt pay for these fixes that didnt solve the problem. if so, get your money back.

Get your Factory Manuals here!! <link fixed>