DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Rep:73
IN2H2O will become famous soon enough
Default Strange Issue with RB1 Radio and Sirius Sat

I upgraded my 2002 Dodge Ram with an RB1 Nav unit and sirius tuner a couple years ago and have had an intermittent issue ever since. I have spent countless hours searching online and other forums trying to resolve it with no luck. Hopefully you all will be able to help me.

Sometimes when I put the key in the ignition and turn it on, the sirius comes in but full of static. It seems to do it more often when the truck is hot like after a long summer day in the sun. Only Sirius is affected, AM/FM and CD all function properly.

I have to remove the key, cycle the lights, press the brake, open the door and wiggle my nose just right and it will work again. I have it figured out now that if I insert the key and turn it to ignition before I close the drivers door, it will never happen so I suspect it has something to do with the auto dimming cab lights?.?.?

Almost seems like something else is on the bus with the sirius unit and causing interference.

Anyone have any insight or ideas? Do I need to take it to a dealer and have them refresh my ECM to include the Sirius unit?
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I'm not familiar with your specific truck, nor the head unit that you're referring to, so please understand why I'm throwing stupid questions out there.

I'm guessing that this is a OEM head unit that you installed in your truck. correct?

If so I'd check all of the connections yet again, especially the ground, concentrating on the Sirius unit, as everything else seems to work great. It almost sounds like you've got an intermittent ground loop type of thing similar to what you get when you badly install a cheap amp.

Hopefully someone with more specific info, and not just guesses will come along shortly.

good luck, and be sure to let us know what you find

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 12-09-2012, 12:17 PM

Factory Head unit, factory harness and connections. All grounds are solid.

Here's a rundown of the unit specs.
http://www.dodgeboy.net/news/navradio/index.htm
Old 04-21-2013, 05:07 PM

Found my issue this past weekend when I pulled the entire system and swapped it to a newer truck. The roof mounted sat antenna had rubbed thru the dome light wiring harness and was contacting the wire for the interior light circuit. If the dome light was lit up when the unit was initializing, it would scramble the unit.

Glad to finally put this one to bed.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 PM

So much for that. It did it again the last two days in a row. It is somehow heat related as well as the dome light as it only happens on warm days. If I get in the truck and cycle the key to the on position before I close the door, it works right every time. If I get in, close the door and crank it up, it comes up with static over the music every time.

I am almost to the point where I pick up another radio of ebay and try it out.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:06 PM

This problem gets worse with temperature so I always enjoy the cooler months and then get pissed when it starts to act up again as the temps start to rise again.

In the past I have always blamed the head unit for this issue but since splicing in an Aux port for my ipod, I have discovered that the static is actually coming from the Sirius receiver itself.

With that in mind, I started searching issues specific to the Sirius receivers and found several references where the first Gen receivers would do this. Cheap circuits, poor grounds and weak antenna signals apparently all contibute.

Once triggered, the event lasts for the entire cycle of the key and the only way to reset is to cycle the key. There is even a TSB to address this issue where their solution is to upgrade to a newer receiver with the single wire antenna, (yellow plug), instead of the two connector style, (blue and white plug).

FYI, My receiver part number is 05064020AJ

http://www.wkjeeps.com/TSB/tsb_wk_0805505.pdf

Quote:
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a satellite radio receiver (sales
code RSA or RSB) or dealer installed MOPAR satellite radio receiver part
numbers 05064002A* and 05064020A*.
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The vehicle operator describes extreme static over the satellite radio audio (only when in
the satellite mode) to the point of almost completely covering the intended audio. The
static occurs at vehicle start-up, or the first time the radio is put into the satellite mode on a
key cycle. The static will last the entire key cycle. This issue is completely intermittent, and
in the next key cycle, operation may go back to normal.
Even though Mopar has issued a TSB calling for the replacement of the unit, I did find a couple of comments where guys had run a dedicated ground wire from the receiver to the battery to fix theirs. I figured that before I spend the money to buy a new unit, i may as well try the cheap fix first.

So, I pulled the receiver today and added a ground wire between the case and circuit board and ran it to the common ground point on the inner fender by the battery. So far so good but only time will tell.

Last edited by IN2H2O; 04-11-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:24 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2664
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

RB1 radio

http://oemautopartsco.com/products/r...vigation-radio

from Chrysler's Media site, not much here
http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsre...id=808&mid=274
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-12-2015, 08:19 PM

Well, I got hit with the static again today so I bit the bullet and ordered the recommended replacement receiver off ebay and sourced the 2 plastic clips from Mopar to change my current antenna to plug into the new unit.

I had previously missed the part where I could convert my current antenna and cable so the total cost for new parts was only $64. I so wish I had of done this years ago.

Replacement receiver 05064074AC
Connector Housing 05189968AA
Connector lock 05189969AA
Old 04-16-2015, 10:37 PM

Quick update, The two plastic pieces are no longer available from Mopar so they refunded my order. I ended up just removing the plastic key tab from the old unit and transferring it to the new receiver. Problem solved. Not quite sure why they don't recommend that in the TSB.

The new radio showed up yesterday so I installed it this morning. Less than 35 minutes start to finish including activation.

I logged into my account and used the automated self activation feature. Now that was slick. I did the install, powered it up and let it do the update and then went inside to register it. By the time I sent the signal and walked out, it was already authorized.

So, after 6 years of living with this trivial but very annoying problem. I am very happy to say that it is now resolved...and it only cost me $47.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:50 PM

Over 2 weeks now static free! So happy to report that this issue is now 100% resolved.