DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Special Edition Models > Dodge Power Wagon

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 dodge power wagon
Trim Level: power wagon
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:68
mb power wagon will become famous soon enough

the ball joints are perfect, they are new and me and a buddy rechecked them yesterday. the trackbar bolts we pulled out and checked the holes and they are round not oval. when i reinstalled the trackbar we retourqed to 145 ft/lbs it took us about 3 hours of jacking up the truck to check ball joints and going through everything. i found some other minor issues with other things but they are all easy fixes. i am getting it into a front end shop today to check camber and castor. the only failed part i could find is the steering stabilizer.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like you have most of it covered. Hard to provide much more help without being there. Double check your track bar and drag link ends. Its hard to tell if they are worn, but they can be culprits too. I pull mine apart and if I can move the joint with no resistance I replace them even if they have no signs of lateral movement. Other than that just keep running through it with the alignment and anything else. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:21 AM

Vehicle: 2007 dodge power wagon
Trim Level: power wagon
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:68
mb power wagon will become famous soon enough

ok got it figured out. i had a ball joint that was doin it. it was tight until the wheels were turned to the left. then it would get pretty loose. the rest of the front end is perfect. the guys at the front end shop thought it was a "nascar" problem. lol. to many left turns. next week i'm gonna change it out and re align the front end. i also put in a rancho rs9000 stabilizer. that made the steering feel alot better.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge PowerWagon
Rep:41
Txhillbilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb power wagon View Post
i also noticed i'm geting the "death wobble" i was thinking of going to twin steering stabilizers will that stop it from doing that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb power wagon View Post
thanks for the info i am getting a twin steering stabilizer from skyjacker monday but i will be thoroughly inspecting the whole front end for the cause. i know the track bar is less than 2 months old. but i also know new parts can be bad out of the box as well. thanks for the help guys.
I'll disagree with Battlerattle. I just spent several weeks trying to figure out the cause of my Death Wobble on my 2012 PW. It started doing it after putting around 3500 miles on the truck after lifting it. The entire suspension is new in the frontend.All of the tie rod ends,ball joints are excellent. I've had the alignment checked twice since this occurred,and it's all in spec.
The first thing I did was change out the trackbar,but there was nothing wrong with the original I took out,the truck only has 19k miles on it,and the lift was put on at 15k miles.
After talking to Don Thuren at Thuren Fabrication,I reinstalled the factory stabilizer-I had dual rancho's on it,and the Death Wobble disappeared.

I just installed a pair of Bilstein 5100 stabilizers on it yesterday,and it drives/rides better than new now.
If I'm not mistaken,Tenneco (Monroe shocks) makes the Skyjacker/Rough Country/Rancho and other off-road brand stabilizers,so you might be throwing your money away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerattle View Post
Nothing loose or worn doesnt mean someithing isnt worn out. Whats your toe, caster? How are your ball joints?

Keep in mind when we put things together we gennerally go the GnT method (Good n Tight). That doesnt work on suspension. Your trackbar bolts need to be 140ft/lbs, doesnt matter how big you are, that is hard to do with normal hand tools.

Did you check your TB mounting holes for roundness?

Remeber a cursory glance, even putting your hands on nuts and bolts wont tell you if something is wrong.

I say all this because I constantly hear Steering Stabalizer. On a properly set up suspension a SS is not necassary. It serves to dampen only the harshest bump steer inpunts (think droping into a rut at freeway speed).
I would have never thought that my steering stabilizers were the cause of my trucks Death Wobble,but that was exactly what was causing the issue.
Don Thuren told me to check the stabilizers after I took them off,and he was 100% correct.
I laid them on my workbench,and pushed them in a couple inches,let them set for a few seconds,and then pulled them out. There was at least 1" of freeplay of the piston before there was any resistance on each of the stabilizer shafts. That's what allows the Death Wobble to happen with these stabilizers,they don't keep resistance on the steering linkage when you hit a bump/pothole,and the tires continue to bounce from the steering linkage flexing.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post

I would have never thought that my steering stabilizers were the cause of my trucks Death Wobble,but that was exactly what was causing the issue.
Don Thuren told me to check the stabilizers after I took them off,and he was 100% correct.
I laid them on my workbench,and pushed them in a couple inches,let them set for a few seconds,and then pulled them out. There was at least 1" of freeplay of the piston before there was any resistance on each of the stabilizer shafts. That's what allows the Death Wobble to happen with these stabilizers,they don't keep resistance on the steering linkage when you hit a bump/pothole,and the tires continue to bounce from the steering linkage flexing.
I have no problems with you disagreeing, we all learn something new every day! I will take note that your SS were the cause.

The point I was trying to make earlier about the SS being a cover up is the function SS serves. Its job is to dampen bump steer. If the constant pressure from the SS is needed to prevent DW then something in the geometry is generally wrong. You said you had the suspension replaced and the alignment checked twice and it was in "Stock" spec? I am assuming you had a lift of some sort put on, so I have to ask if your suspension is not stock why would stock settings be right? You have altered the geometry as a whole and the stock settings were designed for the stock suspension geometry. Have you tried changing your caster angle and toe to be more inlign with your modified suspension? (I.E. The 4.2 degrees from factory doesnt work well with a 2-4" lift, 5.5 degrees plays much better).

If you didnt modify your suspension than disreguard the above and good job on trouble shooting it down!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:52 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge PowerWagon
Rep:41
Txhillbilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerattle View Post
I have no problems with you disagreeing, we all learn something new every day! I will take note that your SS were the cause.

The point I was trying to make earlier about the SS being a cover up is the function SS serves. Its job is to dampen bump steer. If the constant pressure from the SS is needed to prevent DW then something in the geometry is generally wrong. You said you had the suspension replaced and the alignment checked twice and it was in "Stock" spec? I am assuming you had a lift of some sort put on, so I have to ask if your suspension is not stock why would stock settings be right? You have altered the geometry as a whole and the stock settings were designed for the stock suspension geometry. Have you tried changing your caster angle and toe to be more inlign with your modified suspension? (I.E. The 4.2 degrees from factory doesnt work well with a 2-4" lift, 5.5 degrees plays much better).

If you didnt modify your suspension than disreguard the above and good job on trouble shooting it down!
I installed a Rancho 4" lift on the truck,and the alignment is set to the specs that Rancho supplies,not the factory specs.I have longer than stock control arms,so it isn't much off from the factory specs,but it is a little different.
Plus,my alignment shop is quite knowledgeable about aligning lifted trucks,they have been doing them for many years.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I installed a Rancho 4" lift on the truck,and the alignment is set to the specs that Rancho supplies,not the factory specs.I have longer than stock control arms,so it isn't much off from the factory specs,but it is a little different.
Plus,my alignment shop is quite knowledgeable about aligning lifted trucks,they have been doing them for many years.

Noted......and another site I belong too almost everyone that gets the rancho kit for a 2500-3500 ends up with death woble. One of these days I am going to get my hands on one of their kits, get some measurements and do a little math!

In the end it sounds like more than one method of solving the same problem, which is inevatably a good thing. I am glad you got it worked out and I have no problem being wrong now and then, thats how we learn!