DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 SPORT
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:21
ArmyRXP is on a distinguished road
Default Loud Clank

Hey guys, have a quick question for you. I had my truck in the dealers yesterday and had them look for and try to diagnose the loud clank I get when going into Drive. You can really hear it when you are going from Reverse to Drive but we got it to do it in the parking lot going from Neutral to Drive. We put the truck in 4High and it did not do it but when we went to 2WD or 4Auto it did it. My thinking is that the transfer case is not really going to 2WD or it is a little short. I was looking under when the service rep was putting it in Drive and saw the front shaft move when in 2WD the same as the rear shaft so is it possible the transfer is not releasing into 2WD like it should? Everything drives good plus gas mileage is steady at 16.5mpg. Just need your thoughts. When I take it in for the pinion nut recal he said they would look at it more. This should be under warranty as well correct? Truck is a 2011 Sport and only 26,565 miles on the clock. Thanks for your input all.
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2013, 08:21 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a Powertrain warranty issue to me bud. Let us know what they find when you get her checked out.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport q/c
Color: hunter green pearl
Rep:10
cawish33 is on a distinguished road

sound like the backlash on the rear diff, on the ram with the (auto 4wd) option , the transfer case had some wet clutch , so if no demand need for 4wd , it did not engage on 4wd , so in my opinion go under your truck and move the drive shaft , if it as a lot of play on turning clockwise vs counterclockwise it can be the cross joint or backlash , and why not in 4wd hi , it is because the torque is divided by 2 so the front as power and less impact of rear drive shaft ! hope this help
Old 04-25-2013, 03:53 AM

I thought it was the rear diff as well but when you are by the drivers door it is really loud thus thinking it is a transfer case issue. Either way will get it figured out and report back. Will climb under it again this weekend and let you guys know what I can figure out.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

MY '09 Ram 1500 QC makes a noise & possibly a hard shift going from Park into Reverse
dealer can't find the problem, they changed out the drive shaft & it still does it
Dodge said drive it until it breaks & they will fix it. That was at 44,000 miles & i am now at 83,000 miles
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 PM

^^^^^ Yeah will probably say the same thing, was going to find some mud here and do a little test to ensure I'm in 2WD and not 4 Auto. Might have some fun this weekend, if the wife lets me out to play!!! Will keep you all informed.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:14 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRXP View Post
I thought it was the rear diff as well but when you are by the drivers door it is really loud thus thinking it is a transfer case issue. Either way will get it figured out and report back. Will climb under it again this weekend and let you guys know what I can figure out.
Not sure what you mean from the drivers door (standing outside?) but sound from the drivers window can be very deceiving.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 PM

Door was open and service rep in the truck while I was leaning under the truck near the transfer case while he shifted it