DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Express 5.7L 4x4
Trim Level: EXPRESS
Color: FLAME RED
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
letsjet is on a distinguished road

The weight distributing hitch is well worth the money, your truck won't hardly squat in the rear when you get it set up. It will tow like it's on rails and semi's won't sway the trailer when they pass you. The WDH with stop the side to side wallowing of the trailer completely, you can find them on Craig's List sometimes for very little cash. You can also add a sway dampener if you feel the trailer tugging at the truck. My WDH hitch on my 6 x 10 trailer is a bit of overkill but it makes a HUGE difference.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Oudoorsman
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
Outdoorsman2012 is on a distinguished road

I've just started getting out with my camper i've purchased about a month ago. I have a 2012 4x4 QC hemi Outdoorsman with 3.92 axle with 17in rims. With the outdoorsman package truck came with Load range e tires and not passenger tires. If you have the 20" rims which i'm guess you do it lowers your rear end even more. My truck with the 3.92 is the same as if i put 3.73 axle and the 20" rims due to the larger tire. So compared to me you have like a 3.40 axle to my 3.92 which will hurt your performance. Stock i have 1156lbs of payload which is due to a lot of the skid plates and my gvwr is 6700lbs. Now this is subjective in my opinion bc my axles are rated for 3900lbs and a f150 has axles rated to 4050 and they have a gvwr of 7700lbs. This shows you the safety factor that our trucks have built in compared to the fords. My camper is a 266rbs which is 29'5" hitch to bumper and just over 6500lbs dry from factory per cargo sticker. I have not weighed my camper but would say approx 500lbs right now as were are just starting camper and really haven't accumulated a lot of stuff but with firewood dog and my wife I would say were about to max payload out if not a little over. I have installed airlift 1000s which were worth every penny as they work very well, easy to install and work great. I live in the rolling hills in NY and have not traveled to far as i just go the camper. I personally would not go more weight especially if living in Colorado. I've been out there and it affects the way any vehicle runs. I have the equalizer 1200 which works great and the bags shouldnt be needed but i have them for hauling not for the trailer. I average about 9-10mpg so far per evic as i haven't gone far and long enough to actually calculate. Now on to my opinion about your truck/trailer combo. I think its going to be really hard and you will regret it once you start pulling it. Your tow raiting is probably around 8500lbs and you'll be close to that especially if you have kids, btw i dont so i save a lot of weight there. The truck has never over heated or had and high temp but I haven't pulled and really hard or long hill but once you hit a moderate hill it will usually climb at 2500rpms. I will be looking to go further into the Adirondacks this year and will write up how truck and trailer pull those hill. I have found rv.net to be very helpful as there are lots of people with great experiences there with all different vehicle just don't get caught up with those that say you need a 1ton to pull a 24ft trailer bc there are many over there. So i personally think you should look for something a lighter due to your location. The length will also factor into handiling of vehicle but as i dont have to much experience with this I will let others with experience comment on this. Good luck on your decision either way. oh and another thing to consider is what height the trailer is, mine is full height inside so 80" some are smaller and may pull and handle better