DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1986 Dodge Ram D250
Engine: 1981-1988 360ci (5.9L) LA V8 170hp
Rep:10
HeartbreakDodge is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 360 Rebuild: Startup Timimng Issue

Hey fellas,

I've got a 1986 D250 that was my grandpa's and has been in the family since it was new. After years of use on the farm and down the road, it leaked from every orifice possible, so we recently rebuilt it. The build went great and with minimal problems until the end; we are having a terrible time trying to set the timing and advance. When we had it ready to go, we had all the plug wires lined up and set the engine advanced about 6 degrees. We could get it to run if I constantly pumped gas into it, but it wouldnt sustain as soon as I let off. We tried the standard approach of turning the distributor and such but have had no luck. Right now, when we try to fire it up, it tries to go, but back fires a little through the carburetor. I don't believe that I am a full 180 out and have traced my wires more times than I can count. This is my first time trying to set the startup timing on a Dodge, what am I over looking?? At this point I plan on resetting and double checking everything, but I would appreciate it if you guys could post how you typically go about this process. Sorry for the book, guys, but it's driving me crazy at this point!!

In summary:
How do you go about setting the initial timing and advance on a fresh rebuild of an '86 5.9L 360c.i. engine?!?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Sounds like carb issues, and/or major vacuum leaks.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Paultocologist

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Pull number 1 spark plug.

Bring the timing mark to "0" TDC (top dead center) on the harmonic balancer and timing tag/tab.

Check to make sure number 1 piston is all the way up.

Pull the distributor cap loose and lift it up to make sure the rotor is pointing at number 1.

If not: You can pull the dist, stich a long screwdriver in and turn the oil pump shaft a little in the direction it needs to go. You may be a tooth or two off.

OR: you can jump the wires on the cap one position in the direction you need to go. So that the rotor is now pointing at the terminal number 1 is on.

try starting it again.

(note, the firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2)
(Driver's side is 1-3-5-7, Pass is 2-4-6-8)

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name

Last edited by Warlock III; 04-27-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:47 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Q-cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:28
CJ.2007Ram is on a distinguished road

I don't know about the 86 engines but in the earlier LA engines the distributor had a blade at the end to engage the gear in the block which of course was driven by the cam. This setup is super easy to be 180 degrees out. Honestly that is where I would look first.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Paultocologist

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ.2007Ram View Post
I don't know about the 86 engines but in the earlier LA engines the distributor had a blade at the end to engage the gear in the block which of course was driven by the cam. This setup is super easy to be 180 degrees out. Honestly that is where I would look first.
That was the reason I suggested getting it up to TDC and checking it. If it's 180 out it'll usually pop a little but that's about it. It sounds to me like it's slightly retarted and the dist has that little stop at the bottom and can only be turned about an 8th of a turn...just not enough to get 'er to fire up. Omitting it (^^tab previous post^^) was an oversight on my part, but I agree.

I just wanted him to cover the bases and work his way through it from the start.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name

Last edited by Warlock III; 04-27-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:57 PM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

All LA and Magnum engines share the locator tab on the distributor. If it's 180 out, you'll know as soon as you adjust and attempt to re-fire the engine.