DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: What Compact/Midsize truck did you own before a Ram
Ford Ranger/Sport Trac/Mazda Bseries 13 19.40%
Toyota Tacoma/Hilux 9 13.43%
Nissan Frontier/Suzuki Equator/Hardbody Truck 4 5.97%
GM/Isuzu S10/S15/i-series/Colorado/Canyon 15 22.39%
Dodge Dakota/ Mitsubishi Raider 22 32.84%
Honda Ridgeline 0 0%
Other 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I had a 97 s10 with 4 cyl and 5 speed manual. I really loved that truck, it was a blast to drive. I went to the fullsize ram because I needed more room(a backseat) and when I started looking at small v8 trucks(dakota or colorado) they were the same price as the full size and got the same mpg and were way smaller in the cab. I was nearly set on a ram from the beginning because I know a lot of people with them and they are very good trucks. I still miss that s10, and I sold it to my boss and it's still running great. It was way more fun to drive, it was more like a sports car(had the zq8 suspension package). And you can't beat a manual transmission. I greatly love the newness of the ram though(less upkeep), the size, and the power. The mpg isn't bad actually, either.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:12 PM

Vehicle: 2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Trim Level: st
Color: deep water blue pearl coat
Rep:14
daggertats is on a distinguished road

i had a 2003 mazda b3000 duel sport reg cab... probably one of the best trucks i had and to this day am sorry i got rid of it. then i had a 2010 toyota tacoma reg cab 4x4 . drove it for 185 miles and during a rain storm the driver side floor flooded. the dealer was really great and took it back as there was a bad leak under the wiper cowl got the same truck but in white this time. very small inside cramped feeling. bouncy ride. decent gas milage as it was a 2.7 liter 4 cyl. the ac unit squeeled one day when i first turned it on.dealer couldnt find anything. givin my luck with the leaking truck i wasnt comfortable keeping this one. seen an episode of gearz where they had the ram express on it and fell in love with it. got my truck a few months later. roomy for a reg cab, great get up and go. comfy ride for a truck. for a stock sound system it really isnt all that bad,although i have since swapped speakers. highway milage im happy with...about 18 mpg ..one trip that was all highway i avg 18.5. combined isnt bad but fluctuates greatly depeending on how much traffic, driving habits etc. all in all im quite please with the ram and am ready to move it up to best truck i owned on my list of trucks i had. ill trade a few mpgs to have a smile on my face everytime i get behind the wheel .
Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:103
ajd76 will become famous soon enoughajd76 will become famous soon enough

I had a 2002 Nissan Frontier several trucks ago. I upgraded to my Ram from a lesser F-150...so, does that count?
Mopar bed rails, Mopar chrome fuel door, Mopar mud flaps, Mopar door sill protectors, Mopar electronic tailgate lock, Ram LL leather shifter, DeeZee tailgate assist, Access tonneau cover, cabin air filter mod, Magnaflow Y-pipe, & Westin Platinum oval nerf bars.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1996 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:17
ElSombreroNegro is on a distinguished road

Mine was an S-15 Jimmy 2 door 2 wheel drive. Every single nut and bolt on it was mine.
85 350 block 0.060 over, flat tops, cam, headers, four barrel holley, worked heads and big valves and 2 1/2 duals.
1/4 in 11.98 at 118, o.d. trans gave me 15 mpg at 65. Loved it loved it, loved it.... til the heater core busted on me in mankato, minnesota. In febuary. So I bought my dodge to drive until I could get the heat in the jimmy fixed. But, a good friend and coworker needed vehicle real bad so i loaned it to him and he wrecked it.

Why I like my Dodge: it has heat, a bit more cargo capacity and better crash test rating...

Why I liked my jimmy: 11.98 in a 1/4 guys. It was fun and had more power and better mpg than the gas hog dodge. but no heat....
Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

Ugghh! At least finding a donor chasis to rebuild the jimmy will be cheap. Hopefully he did not destroy the all the good aft. parts.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB
Color: Bright white
Rep:435
Outlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really nice

Option 6 needs to be removed. A Honda ridgeline is NOT A TRUCK.

I've had 2 dakotas and a Durango.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Rep:19
storeboy is on a distinguished road

I had an '03 Dakota club cab 2WD with a 4.7 before my current quad-cab Ram 4WD Hemi. Gas mileage actually got a little better (don't ask how but the calculator doesn't lie). I started looking because I had a growing family and it was getting too hard to go places that I needed a truck for.

Ram:
Pro's - Can get both kids and their "junk" in the back seat. Hemi power, 4WD is nice in the winter, ride is 10x better. It's nice to have a truck I can wash/wax again (Dakota had the peeling clear coat issue).
Con's - Much bigger, can't just whip into parking places anymore. Turning radius sucks.

Dakota:
Pro's - It was an awesome truck in the snow, even as a 2WD. Transmission was a perfect match for the engine (it's the same as the same 545RFE as the Ram, but I think there has been a programming change between '03 and '09). Fun little truck to drive. No truck payment.
Con's - The club cab is a joke for kids (I cannot ever imagine an adult sitting back there). Looks (peeling clear coat that was getting worse). Would tow anything I put back there, but it didn't matter if it was an empty single axle or a fully loaded double-axle trailer, you knew it was there.

At the end of the day, I really liked my Dakota. It was fun to drive and worked out well for me. Now I love my Ram, it does everything I want it to do and then some. If it wasn't for the kids and needing more room, I would have been perfectly content driving the Dakota until the wheels would have fallen off.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:14 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Rep:91
Kelevra will become famous soon enough

The Ram is my first truck and my 2nd vehicle I've owned. My first was a 03 Dodge neon. Going from a compact sedan to a full sized truck was a HUGE jump and had a steep learning curve. But, I have to say I have no regrets trading up. The neon was a fun, economical, sporty car and I still have much love for it. But the Ram is a beast and a blast to drive. getting on the pedal and getting thrown back in the seat as is being bone stock puts the biggest grin on my face. I don't even care about the difference in gas mileage (only 7mpg city difference)
Old 04-30-2013, 03:11 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

I haven't seen one of these mentioned yet unless I missed it so I will chime in. I owned a 2005 Chevrolet Colorado for about a year....maybe, lol. Inline 5, auto trans, 4x4 and crew cab. It was an okay truck.

Pros: Exterior styling, fuel economy (~19mpg), more power than a 4 cyl.

Cons: Interior styling (CHEAP!), less power than a V6, cramped cabin front and back and huge transmission tunnel made front foot/knee room horrible. Overall quality just wasn't great.

Wasn't really shopping for another vehicle but ran across my first 06 4.7L Ram priced right. I had been eyebanging the Rams for a long time but didn't know much about them. Traded the Colorado in and then traded the 4.7L Ram for my current Hemi about a year ago. The only real downside to the Ram is the fuel economy (consistent 13-13.5). Otherwise, styling inside and out, power power power, roominess, capability, it effortlessly kicks the Colorado's ass. If I were in the midsized truck market again and could afford to pay the price difference I would look over the Colorado in favor of the Nissan Frontier.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:40 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
less power than a V6
I'm surprised to hear that. Everyone I've known with the I5 loved it and said it was fast/strong. I've never driven one though.

I liked the colorado but I agree after sitting in one it felt like a yaris. Smallest truck ever. The price tag is what really turned me away though. I bought my v8 quad cab ram for less than a v8 quad cab colorado...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.