DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-31-2013, 11:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Elam Harnish is on a distinguished road
Default Trouble with BAK Roll-x

I have a Regular Cab SWB Ram1500 with the 6'4" box. Recently I installed a BAK Industries Roll-x tonneau cover. I'd thought the install was easy enough and the cover was snugly fastened down to the rails by the locking system until . . .

I drove it out on the Interstate this weekend in a cross wind. After about 30 miles driving at 70 mph, I looked back over my shoulder and saw that air was getting in underneath the front of the cover up by the bulkhead, causing it to ripple much as would an vinyl tarp or tonneau cover.

I pulled over and lifted up the rubber seal on the passenger side up by the front bulkhead. I noted that locking mechanism was not quite reaching the "teeth" of the tonneau cover in order to lock the cover to the rail. In other words, the inner locking rail was not overlapping the teeth. However, the inner locking rail was catching and locking down the last three or four teeth at the tailgate end of the rail.

I examined the driver's rail and noted that the tonneau was satisfactorily locked down for the entire length of the rail. I thought that the cover simply needed to be adjusted toward the passenger side rail. I did so, but then the driver's side rail would not properly lock down throughout its length, even though the front part of the passenger side was still not locking.

Thinking I'd over-tightened the clamps at the front of the bulkhead, I took both clamps off the rail and reinstalled. No change. I've now taken both rails completely off and reinstalled. No change.

It is almost as though either the box is wider at the front than at the rear or the cover is narrower at the front than at the rear. The gap is not much - maybe a 1/16th of an inch - but certainly enough to be of concern. I could see a strong cross wind lifting the cover, rail and all at highway speed.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I will contact the BAK customer support line tomorrow.

I've thought of shimming the inside of the rails to bring them closer together, even though that's not supposed to be necessary on a 2012 Ram 1500 for this installation . . . or so I thought.

What do you think?
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 1500 Quad Cab 8sp
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:35
gofish101 is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem with the Bak G2 but it did come with long plastic strips to be used if needed as shimes which I did use and it locked down fine.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 ram sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
zule is on a distinguished road

i had the exact same problem . and i came to same conclusion about the 6.5 box width . i have the plastic rail caps on my 2013 sport and the only way i could get the rollx to lock into its track was to use the plastic pc they supplied with the kit for no-caps and all the little spacer shims , 2 in the front 1 in the middle none at the back just to get it to lock . im very unhappy with the quality of the locking mechanisim and fitment of the cover to the box .a 45min install took almost 4-5 hrs and on/off removal 4-5 times just to get it fit proper .i am also very unhappy that there is no center lock down point on the front or back of cover . it is very easy to jam anything between the tailgate and the cover and easily pry it open . i was hoping for a lot more security from the cover , fully understanding this isnt a solid cover but the easyness this cover could be broken into is disappointing. for anyone looking into buying one of these new covers , i would strongly recommend waiting for a 2nd generation version with some of the fitment issues worked out
Old 05-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Maximum Steel
JDXpress is on a distinguished road

Did you follow the paper instructions or did you watch a video. I ask because I had a Bakflip Fibermax on my 2012 QC and the provided instructions were TERRIBLE. Luckily I found a few videos on youtube and tonneau cover sites and they were very helpful in understanding how to install the cover. I was thinking about getting a roll-x for my 2013 CC, but opted for the G2. I remember thinking when I watched the install video for the Roll-X "Seems like a pain in the ass, especially if the directions were as bad as the Fibermax"