DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013.5 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
jewill4 is on a distinguished road

As an Industrial Engineer, I don't care what the equipment is, you should cycle it once in awhile. Once a month is good practice for something like four wheel drive. Even if its just for 100 feet, put it in and take it out. Same thing for 4X4 low. Every other month is OK too.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black & silver
Rep:10
rakfo is on a distinguished road

On my Dakota from not using the 4x4 for a year or more the seal on the transfer case began to seep a little when i engaged 4x4 and was told by my mechanic the seals on top dried enough to crack. Don't know if this applies when & if i see my 13 but i will do 4x4 every month the during the winter it will be in auto 4x4.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1500 Hemi/8 Speed/3.92
Trim Level: Laramie/RamBox/Air
Color: Black gold pearl
Rep:29
Bhbdvm is on a distinguished road

I am not sure what Ram recommends but with my previous Tundra I too would put it 4 wheel drive on most dirt roads to 1. Make sure it was working properly and to theoretically keep everything lubricated and "exercised" and 2. to decrease my contribution to wash board effect on dirts from driving with poor traction. Of course I used it when necessary when off road or snow but I did use when I didn't actually "need" it so I do the above. Afterall, its easy, just turn a dial. Better than my manually locking hubs from years ago.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:47
shaner82 is on a distinguished road

So what's the best way to engage and drive in 4 low? I've always been told never drive in 4 low on dry pavement. I don't really have any other options around me. I have a field I could go in, but I'll likely get stuck in the mud due to my useless tires.

Is driving in 4 low on dry pavement only for a short while really that hard on it?
Old 05-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport fully loaded
Rep:36
stuabroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner82 View Post
So what's the best way to engage and drive in 4 low? I've always been told never drive in 4 low on dry pavement. I don't really have any other options around me. I have a field I could go in, but I'll likely get stuck in the mud due to my useless tires.

Is driving in 4 low on dry pavement only for a short while really that hard on it?
can someone answer this?
Old 05-03-2013, 12:34 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 5.7 6spd
Trim Level: Express QC 6'4" bed
Color: Polar White
Rep:44
turbohawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
You should probably define your terms. I don't know what you mean by "solid". The rear is a solid axle, the front is independent. What do you mean when you say "locked up"? If you mean both wheels getting equal power, then no, it never "locks up", on either front or rear axles. - DAA
Sorry for the confusion, I mixed some terminology it seems. On my Tundra when I engage 4wd both front wheels are "powered" as thought it were a "solid" axle shaft, so it's unlike the operation of a typical rear differential. I'll have to look again to be sure, but from what I recall the transfer case on the Tundra was quite a bit different (if not a bit more inefficient) in that it turned all the gears in the transfer case all the time, which seems to be a lot different on the Ram which only turns the gears to the front axle when the system is engage in 4wd. So at best this was a 3wd system with everything engaged.

So you are saying that the front differential works just like the rear one in terms of one wheel at a time is powered. (I could confuse the issue since I do have the limited slip rear differential but I won't). So this is essentially a "2 wheel drive" system WHEN the 4wd is engaged, and a 1.5 drive with the limited slip when it's not?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: White
Rep:16
mdragon9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuabroad View Post
can someone answer this?
4WD Hi or Low locks the front and rear drive shafts together so they spin at the same speed. Any slight difference in tire size front to back due to wear or inflation means the tires will have to slip. On pavement that can cause tire wear and possibly even damage the drive line.

So the answer is, do not run in 4WD Hi or 4WD Lo on dry pavement. Find a gravel or dirt road, or even a wet day if you think you need to "exercise" the driveline.

If you have 4WD Auto, its not such an issue because it only engages if the system senses wheel slip, so by definition its slippery enough to protect the driveline.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport fully loaded
Rep:36
stuabroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdragon9 View Post
4WD Hi or Low locks the front and rear drive shafts together so they spin at the same speed. Any slight difference in tire size front to back due to wear or inflation means the tires will have to slip. On pavement that can cause tire wear and possibly even damage the drive line.

So the answer is, do not run in 4WD Hi or 4WD Lo on dry pavement. Find a gravel or dirt road, or even a wet day if you think you need to "exercise" the driveline.

If you have 4WD Auto, its not such an issue because it only engages if the system senses wheel slip, so by definition its slippery enough to protect the driveline.
nice reply thanks