DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 3.7L PowerTech V6 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: '92 D250 Cummins/ '02 Ram 1500
Trim Level: LE and ST
Color: Blue and Silver and Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:10
Dodgeman85 is on a distinguished road
Default Question about timing chains

Hi to everyone, my name is John and I have 2 Dodge Ram's the one in question is one I bought with a timing chain tensioner that has failed (so the PO said) I was wondering if anyone has done head work on these engines. I am plannng to start pulling things off tomorrow to see what I can find but any help with putting this back together would be most helpful. Thanks for your time.

John.
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Tensioners are easy. Just remove the front cover and bolt in a new one. The only special tool you will need is a balancer puller.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thats awsome news. I have pulled everything off the front of the engine but the crank pulley as well as both valve covers to find which one had slack. I guess my question is, both cams seem to be more or less in time, is it possible that the slight slack in the chain would be enough to put that half of the engine out of time enough to cause it to run like crap without being far enough out of time to do damage. I know I'm really reaching here but just thought I'd ask before I go pulling the head off. I figured it there was a possibility I would go ahead and just replace the tensioner and then put things back together just enough to fire this bad boy up for a quick test, but if there is little to no chance of that then ok I'll go ahead and pull the head. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I could see some decreased performance from a slack chain, but I don't think I'd go so far as to say it would run like crap unless the intake valves got bent. If that's the case, a compression or leak down test will confirm it. If you choose to replace the tensioner and see what happens, you can run the engine for a short period of time without the front cover in place.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hi again, ok so I went down this morning and took a long look at this beast again and I noticed that the timing chain tensioner is on the top side of the drivers side head (the one I'm having problems with) but the slack is on the bottom side where there is just a stationary plastic guide. Do you think the chain has stretched or is this still a tensioner issue. I'm thinking with it being on the top side if it is not pushing down enough then it would allow the cam to move slightly ahead and thus allowing slack at the bottom side. Thanks for your help
Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

ok so I got everything put back together enough to start the truck or so I think, I have the crank pulley but all other accessories are not put back just in case I need to go back in and fix something. the truck turns over seemingly easy but every 1 in like 25-30 revolutions the engine seems to slow down to the point of almost stopping then picks up speed again. This problem seems to be worst if I step on the gas pedal, almost as if it is sucking in a bunch more air and my rather weak battery is having a hard time compressing this. I turned the engine over many times by hand with all the plugs out before putting things back together, and everything seemed to be nice and smooth so to me it should be some what in time (you can't be to far out without damaging the valves. Is this a problem of my battery just being too weak to do much, ( i did get it to hit 2 different times but only for about 6 fires and thats about it) I believe I have every plug connected as it should be I have a plug for the alternator thats not plugged in as well as one for the power steering, and on the passenger side I have a plug for the AC and one other plug. I never unplugged the cam sensor, and I don't believe I even touched it. I was careful not to magnitize it in any way. Any ideas on what could be the problem? thanks.