DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmedic09 View Post
THIS IS A SCENARIO THAT US IN PUBLIC SAFETY DO HAVE TO DEAL WITH, NOT ONLY US, BUT THE RAIL WORKERS, CONDUCTORS ETC

NEVER forget the forgotten victims....

Many people consider those who are actually hit by trains, many don't take time to think about the fact that EVERY SINGLE grade crossing collision is avoidable.... those of us who are operating the trains are forced to deal with the consequences of others actions every single day.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 05-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brillant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:168
scmedic09 has a spectacular aura aboutscmedic09 has a spectacular aura about

^^ exactly! that was one huge part of the seminar i remember, of course, people always remember the victims/their families/those injured. BUT the person working on the train at that time may not be injured physicially, but MENTALLY and emotionality for sure. it takes a huge toll on everyone involved
Old 05-05-2013, 12:54 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Hemi
Trim Level: Express
Color: Blue Pearl
Rep:18
Stormracer is on a distinguished road

I worked for UP for a bit in my life in Oregon. One night at work they came to me to tell me that myself and some others had to go to a train/vehicle collision to asses damage and I had to download the data recorder. This train was a standard freight train weighed in at 4,400 tons and was doing 55 mph. Up in eastern Washington there is crossings that do not have arms, just lights and of course "listen" for the train horn. Well this guy driving a loaded potato truck was driving along towards the crossing into the sunset. This of course was not best situation due to hard to see flashing lights. The kicker was that he was wearing a walkman type unit with the headphones in and the music blaring. Yes, he never heard the train horn that the engineers repeatedly and endlessly were blowing as they could tell this guy was not stopping and did not see the train coming. Sadly to say, the guy's brother was in another truck behind him witnessed the whole thing. That first truck was totally destroyed with the exception of engine/trans and the frame laying out in the field. THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE LEFT! So excoastie's message is certainly a great one with people today and texting, phones, Ipods etc. Way too much distractions. Be safe for the summer!

Last edited by Stormracer; 05-05-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:36 PM

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram
Color: Brillant Black
Rep:168
scmedic09 has a spectacular aura aboutscmedic09 has a spectacular aura about

stormracer, i agree. one things drives me insane is seeing people driving with headphones in... sure it may be a bluetooth set like apple has, but usually not. countless times we've rolled up behind someone in the ambulance, when they refuse to pull over, as we do get passed the little punk has headphones in grrrrr.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:06 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

It might be time to bring this thought into everyone's consciousness. This is too important to not ensure everyone is aware.

My wife was watching the show "Long Island Medium" on TLC the other night. One of the "spirits" that Theresa was "speaking" with was a teenage boy who decided that life was not worth living. He decided to go out via suicide by train. This type of thing truly pisses me off. It's bad enough to commit suicide, but to do so in a manner that puts your burden on train crews is beyond unacceptable. I know it's rough on the families, but the train crews must live with seeing that for the rest of their lives.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon. I came within inches of taking out a Chevy Tahoe in the middle of a small Arkansas town. I was on a lightly loaded empty grain train traveling at 38 MPH. I saw this person from about 3/4 of a mile away with the rear end of her Tahoe sitting on the track. Though I was pretty much continuously blowing the horn/ whistle she didn't move until I was within about 30-40 feet of her, and AFTER I made an emergency application of the brakes.

We missed her by mere inches. Her Tahoe was between the tracks and the crossing gates. I don't know how she did it, but she pretty quickly after I stopped got the hell out of there. It took me about 20-30 minutes to recover and recharge my air brakes, so I had the entire town blocked and sewed up. No one could get from one side of the tracks to the other until I moved.... none of the 4 or 5 crossings were not blocked.

Please think and educate your loved ones. "Look, Listen, and Live" is more than just a tag line

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 10-21-2013, 05:02 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge ram 1500 Hemi
Color: Deep Sea Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:156
TORMENTOR has a spectacular aura aboutTORMENTOR has a spectacular aura about

As a conductor for 5 years and a recently qualified locomotive engineer, I have already seen my fair share of scares on the rails, too many close calls, thank god I haven't had anything worse then just that, close calls. But there are men who never come back to after taking the life of someone else... Even though it was proven they were 100% not at fault, they could not handle living that stress over and over at every crossing and every corner.

This job can be very nerve racking, especially when you have such little control of the outcome, like its been said, we can't stop, not in time atleast... It's very defeating to know that we can be so helpless in those situations.