DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:89
Breathing Borla will become famous soon enough

I have searched and posted this in the wheel section without much luck yet, so I guess I'll try here.

I'm new here and this will be my first Ram but not my first truck by any means.

I ordered a 2013 Sport crew 4x4 and the dealer agreed to work with me on the wheels and tires.

I don't like or want 20" wheels so they will keep those and I wanted these.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fil...=prca&toggled=

It the TKO. they come with 2 offset options, -6 or 18

i want to run a ~32-33" tire combo so I am wondering which off-set to buy that will work with tires I am looking at.

I am looking at the BFG 265/70/17 which is only 31.8.

but also looking at 285/70/17 which are 32.8

which wheels do I need and will the LT 285/70/17 fit this model Ram?

The factory 20"s are 33" in dia, so I am just trying to convert over to 17" with that same dia, less wheel, more tire. I want to keep it close to stock as possible..

Thanks

2013 Ram Sport Crew 4x4, 5.7, 8-speed, 3.92, Borla
2010 LTD Tundra DC, 4x4 RW Wheels 33" Cooper Maxx
2001 tundra, 2000 tundra
1995.5 Tacoma, 1997 Tacoma, 1998 Tacoma
Old 05-04-2013, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

That's pretty cool that the dealer is going to work with you like that. I like those wheels. To answer your question...either of those tires sizes should fit fine. I personally would stick with the larger one. I would think the shorter tire would look noticeably too short. The 285/70/17 is pretty close to stock height and only a tad wider but not enough be rub anywhere. Either of those wheel offsets should work fine as well. It just basically comes down to how you want the wheel and tire to fit. The 18 offset will fit basically like stock. The -6 offset will stick out about an inch more than stock.

Hope this helps!
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:00 PM

Yea, I want to keep it as close to stock as I can, but just more tire and less wheel. So I guess I need the wheel with the 18 offset. This will be ok with the 285's? So no extra space is needed?

Is backspacing a concern with this setup with these specific wheels?

Thanks !!

2001 tundra, 2000 tundra
Old 05-05-2013, 09:53 PM

starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

The 285's will fit fine with no issues with either of those offsets. Backspacing is always a concern when fitting aftermarket rims but I don't think you need to be concerned with it. Backspacing is a product of rim width and offset and you already know that you are fine in those areas. The stock 20" rims for example are 9" wide with about +18 offset. If a 9" rim with "x" offset will run then an 8" rim with the same offset will certainly run with room to spare. You wouldn't really need to worry about backspacing unless you were going to a wider rim or a rim with more positive offset than stock and you are doing neither.

**EDIT**
Let me correct myself on what I said earlier about the +18 offset sitting the closest to a stock 20" rim. I wasn't taking into account the narrower rim that you are swapping to. I know I keep comparing things to the stock 20's but that's what I know so that's what I use, lol. Going from a 9" rim to an 8" rim of basically the same offset will subtract that inch on the front and back of the narrower rim equally. So the 17x8" rim with +18 will actually stick out about a half inch less than a stock 20" rim would. For that reason I would say you might want to consider the -6 offset rim. Going to a -6 offset in the 17x8" rim would make it stick out about an inch more than the 17x8" rim with +18 offset or for comparison sake, it would stick out about one half inch more than the stock 20" rim. Personally, I would rather it stick out a half inch more than tuck in a half inch more but that's just me. You should look at a truck with the stock 20's and decide for yourself.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 05-05-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
The 285's will fit fine with no issues with either of those offsets. Backspacing is always a concern when fitting aftermarket rims but I don't think you need to be concerned with it. Backspacing is a product of rim width and offset and you already know that you are fine in those areas. The stock 20" rims for example are 9" wide with about +18 offset. If a 9" rim with "x" offset will run then an 8" rim with the same offset will certainly run with room to spare. You wouldn't really need to worry about backspacing unless you were going to a wider rim or a rim with more positive offset than stock and you are doing neither.

**EDIT**
Let me correct myself on what I said earlier about the +18 offset sitting the closest to a stock 20" rim. I wasn't taking into account the narrower rim that you are swapping to. I know I keep comparing things to the stock 20's but that's what I know so that's what I use, lol. Going from a 9" rim to an 8" rim of basically the same offset will subtract that inch on the front and back of the narrower rim equally. So the 17x8" rim with +18 will actually stick out about a half inch less than a stock 20" rim would. For that reason I would say you might want to consider the -6 offset rim. Going to a -6 offset in the 17x8" rim would make it stick out about an inch more than the 17x8" rim with +18 offset or for comparison sake, it would stick out about one half inch more than the stock 20" rim. Personally, I would rather it stick out a half inch more than tuck in a half inch more but that's just me. You should look at a truck with the stock 20's and decide for yourself.
ok, I am trying to sort through that, and I really appreciate the help.

they are these two size wheels, both are 8.5 wide!! you mentioned 8" in your post.

here are the sizes and I would like to go with the LT285/70/17 load D BFG AT KO, blackwall out.

17X8.5 5-139.7 18MTB

17X8.5 5-139.7 -6MTB

It says something on the discount site about negative offset can be bad???

am I in that discussion?

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoWheelOffsets.dos

2001 tundra, 2000 tundra
Old 05-06-2013, 12:16 PM

My bad. I thought the rims you are looking at were 8" wide. I see now that they are 8.5" wide. No biggie...either rim will still fit and run fine with a 285mm wide tire. The only question is do you want them to tuck under a tad more than stock or stick out a tad more than stock?

I tend to over explain things so let me try to simplify a little. As I said earlier, I use the stock 20x9" rims as an example because I know a little about them and you can go to any lot and look at how they fit. So here's the important part.

With the 17x8.5 with +18 offset you would basically be cutting 1/4" off of the front and back of the rim as compared to the stock 20" rim. So this wheel would have 1/4" more clearance on the inside and tuck under the fender 1/4" more as compared to a stock 20" rim.

With the 17x8.5 with -6 offset you would be creating 1-1/4" of extra clearance on the inside of the rim and it would stick out from under the fender 3/4" more than a stock 20" rim.

Which of these fitments you prefer is really up to you. You probably aren't really going to notice a tire and rim that tucks in 1/4" more than stock (the +18 offset). In fact, the 285mm wide tire will basically make up that 1/4" so this combo should sit almost identical to the stock 20" tire and rim combo. You will, however, probably notice a tire and rim that sticks out 3/4" more than stock (the -6 offset). Now I don't think this would look bad or anything....some people actually like that look. But as I said earlier, it's really personal preference.

And lastly, no you don't need to worry about that warning. Wheels with large negative offsets (that push the wheels out from the vehicle a lot) can cause suspension and tire wear problems but the offsets you are considering are nowhere even close to enough to be concerned about that.

See there....even my simplified explanation turns into half a page, lol.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
My bad. I thought the rims you are looking at were 8" wide. I see now that they are 8.5" wide. No biggie...either rim will still fit and run fine with a 285mm wide tire. The only question is do you want them to tuck under a tad more than stock or stick out a tad more than stock?

I tend to over explain things so let me try to simplify a little. As I said earlier, I use the stock 20x9" rims as an example because I know a little about them and you can go to any lot and look at how they fit. So here's the important part.

With the 17x8.5 with +18 offset you would basically be cutting 1/4" off of the front and back of the rim as compared to the stock 20" rim. So this wheel would have 1/4" more clearance on the inside and tuck under the fender 1/4" more as compared to a stock 20" rim.

With the 17x8.5 with -6 offset you would be creating 1-1/4" of extra clearance on the inside of the rim and it would stick out from under the fender 3/4" more than a stock 20" rim.

Which of these fitments you prefer is really up to you. You probably aren't really going to notice a tire and rim that tucks in 1/4" more than stock (the +18 offset). In fact, the 285mm wide tire will basically make up that 1/4" so this combo should sit almost identical to the stock 20" tire and rim combo. You will, however, probably notice a tire and rim that sticks out 3/4" more than stock (the -6 offset). Now I don't think this would look bad or anything....some people actually like that look. But as I said earlier, it's really personal preference.

And lastly, no you don't need to worry about that warning. Wheels with large negative offsets (that push the wheels out from the vehicle a lot) can cause suspension and tire wear problems but the offsets you are considering are nowhere even close to enough to be concerned about that.

See there....even my simplified explanation turns into half a page, lol.
nah, that one come through good. so it looks like i can go with the 18 offset wheels, and the LT285/70/17 BFG ATs load D and it should be fine, I hope...

2001 tundra, 2000 tundra
Old 05-06-2013, 04:37 PM

I think so. Should be what you are looking for...should sit and look basically like stock, just less rim and more tire. Keep us updated.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Rep:10
mjcibor is on a distinguished road
Default Do I need spacers?

I have an '06 1500 with the factory 20" wheel option. When I recently replaced the front pads and rotors I noticed that when I put the wheels back on and tightened the lugnuts through the full travel of the nut, the wheels were a little loose. I called NAPA thinking that I got the wrong rotors and they told me to pump the pedal. Obviously when you do that, the pads grab the rotor and everything then seems tight. That doesn't seem right to me though as I wouldn't think the pads need to stay tight on the rotor. Seems like tightening the lugnuts should get everything tight. Sometimes when I brake hard at highway speeds, I get a good shimmy. Bottom line question - do you guys think I need a spacer so I don't run out of travel in the lugnuts? Thanks.

Last edited by mjcibor; 05-10-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:56 PM

Man.....not sure what to make of that. I'm not very savvy when it comes to brake stuff but I can't think of any reason why your wheels wouldn't be tight and firm when the lug nuts are properly torqued down. Are they still that way? If there is any movement in the wheels at all then there is definitely a problem somewhere. It would almost definitely cause premature wear of the tires and probably the front suspension and could also do damage to the hub/lugs. I'm thinking you may be correct about getting the wrong rotors.

I can answer part of your question for sure. No, you do not need spacers. That may fix your issue but it's not the proper fix. If your wheels aren't seated firmly on the hub you need to find out why and address it. If your wheels are still loose like that I would recommend you demand a replacement set of rotors and try that first. You may have to get right with them to get another set but the bottom line is that it really is a safety issue.

I would alsorecommend you repost your situation in the third gen suspension help zone located here.
http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

I feel like your issue is more of a brake setup issue than a wheel issue. I'm sure someone with a little more knowledge on the braking system in our trucks can give you a good answer.