DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1946
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba2012 View Post
i just lifted my 2012 1500 express 4 inches nitto trail grappler 35x12.5r20 with airintake and im getting 7 mpg city and 10 highway anyhelp to improve my mpg
Do you have any other mods?

As mentioned above a tuner will help you the most. A CAI and exhaust will help a little bit, but not very noticeably.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 05-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:26
idefi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba2012 View Post
i just lifted my 2012 1500 express 4 inches nitto trail grappler 35x12.5r20 with airintake and im getting 7 mpg city and 10 highway anyhelp to improve my mpg
What were you getting before?? That seems like a huge hit!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:29
RidgeRider is on a distinguished road

I have a 2006 with the 5.7 Hemi and 3.92 gears. My tires are the 35 inch bfg Mud terrains and im averaging about 12-14 city and about 17-18 highway. On the country back roads I get even higher mpgs around the 50 mph mark.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Light Graystone
Rep:57
aedwardzo will become famous soon enough

all i have to say is.... TUNER TUNER TUNER TUNER!!!!!!!!!! bullydog or diablo.. Itll change your life. im lifted 8" on 37s and still beat almost every ricer out there hahahaha
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 PM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport fully loaded
Color: charcoal grey
Rep:108
chadster21 will become famous soon enoughchadster21 will become famous soon enough

to the guy that said a 6'' is to big youre in the wrong section of the forum

if youre lookin for fuel mileage and a nice lookin lifted truck at the same time, as indicated above gears and tuner is everything. i have a combined lift amounting to 10'' on 37s and with a cai exhaust and a tuner i am getting 14-15 mpg. before the tuner i was at like 10-11 ish (these numbers arent set in stone i rarely drive my truck so it fluctuates alot on how i am driving).

another big things is which tires you pick... my 37'' toyos are heavy. you can get a 40'' swamper that is lighter than my 37. so that plays a major factor aswell.

now get it lifted and get us some pics
Old 05-08-2013, 06:19 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.92
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/ Blk interior
Rep:69
Driver72 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
I'd definitely argue the other way on that. In no way will only a 6" lift ever look to high on a full size truck. If you start getting into Bilsteins and body lifts on top of that then yes you can get pretty high (some might argue too high).

If you're going to spend the money on a suspension lift you're going to want a 6" for sure. It's only $150 more than a 4" and you'll end up regretting it if you don't go for the full 6". Check out Rough Country's lift kits. They are a very good price for what you are getting. Contact either Jeremiah or Andrew and Discount Auto Performance

Andrew: fastNugly@discountautoperformance
Jeremiah: jhinkle1989@discountautoperformance

That may be, but again, the amount of lift is a personal preference. I like 4" lifts.

Quote:
Definitely not true. The type of gearing you want for better fuel mileage depends on where you're driving and what other mods you are doing such as bigger tires. If you're staying with stock tires and doing mainly highway driving then yes you could argue that 3.21's will give you better fuel economy. If you are doing mainly city driving or adding bigger tires (or both) 3.92's are a WAY better option. 4.10's or 4.56's would be even better if they were an option.
Actually, what I said is exactly true. No offense, man but you are a kid. Ive owned and modded cars before you were even born.
He was stating he was getting only 14 mpg now.
If he has 3.92 gears on, he can expect worse gas mileage than if he had 3.21's especially on the highway.

What is true, and as you stated, is if he puts big tires on then of course you'd want the 3.92's but that's ONLY because the big tires essentially is raising his final drive ratio like it would be if he had the stock 3.21's on a stock size tire.
if he had 3.21's stock and put 37" tires on it would be like having a 2.xx final drive ratio. Way too tall to move the big heavy truck with any authority and you'd be forced to use too much throttle to get moving, which of course then you are using more gas, which eats up gas mileage.

Quote:
Again, not entirely true. The idea of adding a CAI and exhaust is too let your engine breath better and not work as hard to suck the air in and push it out. The CAI's on these trucks from the factory aren't bad so by just changing that, no you aren't going to notice any real gains. If you go to something such as a Vararam then you'll notice some power and torque gains and maybe a little bit better fuel economy. Maybe 0.5 MPG

The exhaust on the other hand is very restrictive. By changing the muffler and Y-pipe it will flow a lot better and you might see a few gains. But again, no more than 1 MPG....
I have had over 40 new cars, many of which I have put CAI's and tunes on.
My vehicles have been used by tuners as their beta cars, and I have done dozens and dozens of dyno runs on many of my cars.
Never once I have seen better gas mileage from CAI.
It may be different for this truck, but I assure you, IF you bring MORE air into the engine, it requires MORE fuel. You can not mess with the A/F (air/fuel) ratio by bringing in more air and not adding more fuel. That is a receipt for engine troubles and detonation.
A CAI is for getting more air in, which requires more fuel, so you get more power. A CAI is not necessary or is useless if you are not needing the extra power and are simply driving around and never going above 3000 rpms and driving like you are driving Miss Daisy.

Quote:
Once again, not entirely true. Yes, obviously you are going to lose fuel economy but lifting and putting bigger wheels and tires on. But you'll see more of a drop in city driving than highway driving. Simply because it takes so much more fuel to get those big tires turning again once you've stopped. At least on the highway you're generally at a constant speed. So yes it takes more fuel to keep them turning and you have worse aerodynamics but at least you aren't constantly trying to accelerate.
This is a funny one. You say, "once again, not entirely true" but then go on to say "yes" you are going to lose fuel economy by lifting and putting bigger tires on. Which is entirely what I said, which is entirely true.

Last edited by Driver72; 05-08-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatr02 View Post
Been there done that. You just can't put Fuel Economy and a lifted truck together. Trucks are not designed for MPG, now take that box and lift it higher, put larger rolling stock on it, weight etc and it will be significantly worse especially if you want to go big.
Exactly. And exactly my point in my first post.

Quote:
The minimal gains from CAI and Exhaust would never be noticeable on a lifted truck because the loss IS so noticeable. .5 MPG "might" be possible on a stock truck with CAI and Exhaust, but is completely unreal expectation on a lifted truck. Tuner will help with your speedo. The biggest thing would be gears but they will get you your torque back not MPG's.

Again, exactly what I was stating. But again, even on a stock truck you won't even see .5 mpg gain from a CAI and exhaust. Simply because IF you feel you need or want a CAI and exhaust, you are probably using more power, which means using more gas, which means worse MPG.
If you are driving the truck/car around like an average Joe, then the CAI and exhaust is doing nothing anyway as the engine is not taking in more air (and therefore not using more fuel) than you need even from the stock intake and exhaust.
Plus, it's pretty retarded to spend $1,500+ on an intake and exhaust with the hopes of even gaining 1 mpg. It would take you years and years just to pay back the cost of the intake and exhaust with that 1 mpg better fuel economy.

Quote:
I am also talking from experience not just opinion. I have been down this road before. Look at the pics on here and in person if you can. If you are going to drive the truck a lot you would be surprised how awesome a 4" lift and 35's will look.
Again, exactly my personal feeling. 4" lifts on 35's look the best to me.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadster21 View Post
to the guy that said a 6'' is to big youre in the wrong section of the forum

if youre lookin for fuel mileage and a nice lookin lifted truck at the same time, as indicated above gears and tuner is everything. i have a combined lift amounting to 10'' on 37s and with a cai exhaust and a tuner i am getting 14-15 mpg. before the tuner i was at like 10-11 ish (these numbers arent set in stone i rarely drive my truck so it fluctuates alot on how i am driving).

another big things is which tires you pick... my 37'' toyos are heavy. you can get a 40'' swamper that is lighter than my 37. so that plays a major factor aswell.

now get it lifted and get us some pics
This post was originally put in the 2013 Ram general section.
And regardless, even being in the lift section now, you don't think people have the right to their opinion and that only those who want an 8"-10" lift are correct? I like a lightly lifted truck especially if it's never going to see the kind of terrain that a larger lift is needed for.
Same goes with the reverse in performance cars. I don't like a slammed to the ground car either.
A nice 1-1.25" drop for many cars, just to close up the wheel well gap and lower the center of gravity a bit looks sweet. If they can't go over speed bumps and bottom out over the smallest road bump, to me that is not what I'd want.

You are correct about tire weight too.
The more they weigh the more rotational mass their is. That is important because it takes more power to get them rolling.
Also what has not been stated, but what I implied by cutting into highway miles with the lift and bigger tires is aerodynamics and rolling resistance.
The bigger, wider tires not only are brick walls for the wind, but have a much larger contact patch with the road. And that generates friction.
Friction cuts into power and therefore cuts into fuel economy.

As I originally stated, you will never get better fuel economy alone by lifting and putting bigger tires on your truck, highway or city.

As others have stated, a tuner can correct much of it, but personally I've always used tuners for more power, which has always meant it cuts into my fuel economy. But a good tune (and tuner) can adjust the settings so you do get better fuel economy to offset a lot of your loses from the lift and big tires.

Last edited by Driver72; 05-08-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:40 AM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport fully loaded
Color: charcoal grey
Rep:108
chadster21 will become famous soon enoughchadster21 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
This post was originally put in the 2013 Ram general section.
And regardless, even being in the lift section now, you don't think people have the right to their opinion and that only those who want an 8"-10" lift are correct? I like a lightly lifted truck especially if it's never going to see the kind of terrain that a larger lift is needed for.
Same goes with the reverse in performance cars. I don't like a slammed to the ground car either.
A nice 1-1.25" drop for many cars, just to close up the wheel well gap and lower the center of gravity a bit looks sweet. If they can't go over speed bumps and bottom out over the smallest road bump, to me that is not what I'd want.

You are correct about tire weight too.
The more they weigh the more rotational mass their is. That is important because it takes more power to get them rolling.
Also what has not been stated, but what I implied by cutting into highway miles with the lift and bigger tires is aerodynamics and rolling resistance.
The bigger, wider tires not only are brick walls for the wind, but have a much larger contact patch with the road. And that generates friction.
Friction cuts into power and therefore cuts into fuel economy.

As I originally stated, you will never get better fuel economy alone by lifting and putting bigger tires on your truck, highway or city.

As others have stated, a tuner can correct much of it, but personally I've always used tuners for more power, which has always meant it cuts into my fuel economy. But a good tune (and tuner) can adjust the settings so you do get better fuel economy to offset a lot of your loses from the lift and big tires.

i agree about the tires 100%. i was in the same boat as you for your opinion on the tune... ive tuned many lifted trucks using super chips and this is my first diablo which i am impressed because with adding more power it actually lets my engine work half as hard in turn giving me better fuel economy
Old 05-08-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadster21 View Post
i agree about the tires 100%. i was in the same boat as you for your opinion on the tune... ive tuned many lifted trucks using super chips and this is my first diablo which i am impressed because with adding more power it actually lets my engine work half as hard in turn giving me better fuel economy
That's great to hear.
I am unfamiliar with the Hemi tuners as I have not owned one yet.
So it's good to hear there is a tune out there that will increase power when needed but give better gas mileage when not.