DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohawk View Post
Willy, I've been looking for REAL problems with the 2013. I don't rate a uConnect issue as a REAL problem, although I can see a lot of folks on here do and I can empathize. What's VERY important to me is the drivetrain reliability. Are there problems with this? I saw one report on here (I know, not EVERYONE owning a 2013 is a member here) of a bad valve on a hemi (correct me if I read wrong).
You are correct to some degree but remember REAL problems are relative to the owner.

Many people rely on their UConnect for things like navigation, hands-free cellphone operation, music/data transfer and the like.

So, yes, when the UConnect fails, it is a REAL problem for these folks..... especially when they've spent North of 50K.

Grub out!
Old 04-30-2013, 10:04 AM

Vehicle: Ram
Rep:76
Grimass will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryit1sagain View Post
This question is for Rusty. (I couldn't pm you, post count not high enough). What are the differences you've noticed in your trade from a tundra to the Ram? I'm on this forum trying to get info about the ram. However, the Tundra and Ram are my two top choices. Honest information from a previous owner would prove very valuable. thanks.
I can answer this, as I have had 2 Tundra's and a RAM. In fact my Last Tundra was a 2010 Platinum, and Now I have a Laramie, so eye for an eye they are pretty much identical.

THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE is options. RAM's/Ford's are the Build-a-Bear of the truck world. You can literally build exactly what you want, or come pretty close to finding one on most Lots. Tundras are very limited in options, and ordering one is complicated.

Toyota is smart. They take the best of the best, perfect it with their Lexus engineers, and then after 2-3 years filter those technologies down to Toyota. The problem is that Lexus doesn't build anything on the Tundra platform, so the Tundra tends to get less attention.

For example, the Tech Package on the Tundra Sucks. I know a few people who have had issues with UConnect -- but when it works, it's freaking awesome.

Also, the suspension on the Tundra is a bit cushy -- nice if you never go off road. If you put the TRD bits on it, it does become a nice offroad truck, but it's a beast on the road. The one thing the Tundra needs is a Sway bar, it's a $300 TRD Upgrade, and worth every penny.

The Paint on the Tundra is CRAZY Thin and tends to have lots of Orange peel on it. Bugs, Rocks, etc. You name it -- Kiss the paint good bye. Have a bad detailer wax it? Swirl City -- Assuming they don't burn right thru it. I know a few people who have had some Paint issues on the ram, but the paint on my Laramie is gooped on. And I link thick paint on a truck.

The Engine packages on both trucks are pretty much identicle. RAM does a bit better job of making the Hemi have a bit more throat to it stock, but a $100 weld in flowmaster can fix that on the tundra. Also, 6-Speed Tranny's are almost identical. Altho, sometimes the RAM Tranny can get a bit 'confused' -- some of that is due to the MDS, and not the tranny. The RAM 8-Speed is unmatched by Toyota -- even the 2014's will still come with their 6-speed.

The one thing the Tundra does better than most any other truck on the road, Their Brakes. They are Massive, and do a spectacular job of slowing down that 2-ton beast.

Maintenance: Tundra's are f'n expensive. 5-20 Full Synthetic oil changes, $120 done by the dealer. Something like 8quarts. Wear Items are expensive too.. And Dear god -- If you get any of their nicer Wheels -- DON'T EVER BREAK/BEND/SCRATCH them... Some are $500 new, and really hard to find takeoffs... They just don't have the volume of RAM/FORD, and lots of time only have a wheel for 1-2 years.

Finally Value. You get so much more truck from RAM for the money. Identical Trucks will be 5-10k difference in price. The Tundra Platinum, which is pretty much a Laramie/Longhorn, is 45-50k. Period. That's a bit meatball to swallow.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:20 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 5.7 6spd
Trim Level: Express QC 6'4" bed
Color: Polar White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
turbohawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
You are correct to some degree but remember REAL problems are relative to the owner.

Many people rely on their UConnect for things like navigation, hands-free cellphone operation, music/data transfer and the like.

So, yes, when the UConnect fails, it is a REAL problem for these folks..... especially when they've spent North of 50K.
I do empathize but what's really important to me is does the damn thing go, and keep going, from point A, B, C and D, and then do it all over again the next day. Entertainment centers shouldn't be THE thing someone picks a vehicle for and definitely not a first year prototype. I don't like being a guinea pig for any body, especially when I'm paying to be it. I'm the guy with the $200 garmin, the android phone with a separate blue tooth dongle (instead of the ungodly expensive iPhone 5), and the portable CD/MP3 player sitting in my center console and glad I didn't waste my money on 8.4an that needs updates to work right. I'll burn some of that money for gas and the 4x4 system that I might need 4 times a year.

Being practical doesn't necessarily mean boring. I'm plenty entertained but without the headache. Just a couple more cords and one you configure it, just plug the phone in and go and that's the extent of the hassle.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:04 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:16
chrisze1 is on a distinguished road

I just bought my 2nd Ram not even 2 weeks ago, I got the Pentastar with 8 speed trans and the power is better then I expected. The first Ram was a 2005 SLT with the Hemi, I drove it for 8 years, putting 160k miles on it, 2 problems occurred, the fuel pump and the Throttle body.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:17 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodg Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:148
JWM59 will become famous soon enoughJWM59 will become famous soon enough

So did Willypct go with the Ram??
Old 05-08-2013, 05:12 PM

Vehicle: Ram1500
Rep:14
moulin6801 is on a distinguished road

I was in your shoes last month, I trade my TRD Sport forva 5.7 hemi crew cab Laramie. It's so much more spacious ,much better ride and the only 1 mile per gallon glass then the Taco,as average , however I would not recommend you uconnect llnavigation. Still a few glitches on that
Old 05-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Laramie Crew w 3.92s
Trim Level: Laramie Loaded!
Color: Black n Silver
Rep:22
Ramsh70 is on a distinguished road

Loved my 05 TACOMA.... sold it with 150000kms to a buddy and its still going strong.... But no regrets... I do love my Ram... pulls my boat much better - is much more roomy and is waaaaay more luxurious.... No regrets here....
UNDERCOVER SE, HuskyLiner Flare Friendly Mudflaps, AVS INChannel Ventshades, De-badged Doors, Billet Technologies Catch Can, Black Quad Headlights - 6000K 35W HID Low beams and 4300K 35W HID fogs -Lumin-X'd, Bilstein 5100s x 4 - fronts set at 2.1, Airlift 1000, Flush mount Air pressure gauge in rear bumper, Mufflex 18" Magnaflow, 285 60 R20 GoodYear Wrangler Duratracs, Interior LED Floor lighting, AMP RESEARCH BEDSTEP, WOLO Amber "hidden" strobe lights ....and thats so far.