DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4


Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 05-08-2013, 01:20 PM
brandonjansen's Avatar
brandonjansen brandonjansen is offline
Lifted Cummins Fanatic


 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Age: 22
Posts: 5,864
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep Power: 7
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
That may be, but again, the amount of lift is a personal preference. I like 4" lifts.
Fair enough. But just because you like 4" lifts doesn't mean a 6" lift is way too big like you previously stated. Because in reality it's only 2" taller.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Actually, what I said is exactly true. No offense, man but you are a kid. Ive owned and modded cars before you were even born.
He was stating he was getting only 14 mpg now.
If he has 3.92 gears on, he can expect worse gas mileage than if he had 3.21's especially on the highway.

What is true, and as you stated, is if he puts big tires on then of course you'd want the 3.92's but that's ONLY because the big tires essentially is raising his final drive ratio like it would be if he had the stock 3.21's on a stock size tire.
if he had 3.21's stock and put 37" tires on it would be like having a 2.xx final drive ratio. Way too tall to move the big heavy truck with any authority and you'd be forced to use too much throttle to get moving, which of course then you are using more gas, which eats up gas mileage.
My age has nothing to do with it. If you want to get into a pissing match like that I could argue that I've worked on cars worth twice as much as your house and that have been in Sema building engines, transmissions, rear ends, bringing them drag racing, all that jazz. But that' has nothing to do with a Ram truck which is what this forum is about. I also have 15 times the amount of posts than you on this forum so it's highly likely that I've done my research and talked to tons of guys about all this stuff where you haven't.

As far as the gearing goes, you still aren't realizing the difference between city and highway driving. Yes on the highway where you get up to speed and you stay there having 3.21's would be a better option because they keep your RPM lower. But as I stated, in the city where you are constantly accelerating and stopping having lower gears is better because it makes the engine work less to get the wheels and tires turning. If you think I'm wrong with this why is everyone ordering 3.92 gears stock or changing to 4.10's and 4.56's with bigger tires? By your logic everyone should have the highest gears possible.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
I have had over 40 new cars, many of which I have put CAI's and tunes on.
My vehicles have been used by tuners as their beta cars, and I have done dozens and dozens of dyno runs on many of my cars.
Never once I have seen better gas mileage from CAI.
It may be different for this truck, but I assure you, IF you bring MORE air into the engine, it requires MORE fuel. You can not mess with the A/F (air/fuel) ratio by bringing in more air and not adding more fuel. That is a receipt for engine troubles and detonation.
A CAI is for getting more air in, which requires more fuel, so you get more power. A CAI is not necessary or is useless if you are not needing the extra power and are simply driving around and never going above 3000 rpms and driving like you are driving Miss Daisy.
Again, I agree that you will add more fuel by adding more air. Make sense. But you still didn't get the point about the engine not working as hard. Because it's easier to get the air in (and out with a free flowing exhaust) the engine doesn't have to work as hard which DOES give you slightly better fuel economy. I'm not saying it's a lot... but there would be a slight difference.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
This is a funny one. You say, "once again, not entirely true" but then go on to say "yes" you are going to lose fuel economy by lifting and putting bigger tires on. Which is entirely what I said, which is entirely true.
And once again, you aren't getting the difference between a city and highway truck.


So no offense buddy but coming on here and giving me shit (and other people) for my age and not having experience when you don't even have a Ram doesn't seem like the smartest move. I'm much sooner going to listen to all the other members on here that actually have a Ram and have lifted it, put bigger tires on, and changed the gears.

So again, like I said. If you're just hear to start a pissing match with everyone then don't bother. If you actually have some valuable advice to give that will help out the OP and the rest of the community then go for it but cut it down to just that. I also suggest you actually have experience with an actual RAM before you go shooting your mouth off about all of it.
__________________

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Driver72 Driver72 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 311
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.92
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/ Blk interior
Rep Power: 0
Rep:69
Driver72 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Fair enough. But just because you like 4" lifts doesn't mean a 6" lift is way too big like you previously stated. Because in reality it's only 2" taller.
I didn't say a 6" lift was "way too big".
He was asking for opinions on lift size and tire size, I gave mine.




Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
My age has nothing to do with it.
Yes actually it does. With age comes experience.
I've not only as I stated been working on and tuning cars before you were born, my brother was also a car mechanic and builder and I'd "help" him for years. I am also good friends with many tuners and worked closely with them for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
If you want to get into a pissing match like that I could argue that I've worked on cars worth twice as much as your house and that have been in Sema building engines, transmissions, rear ends, bringing them drag racing, all that jazz. But that' has nothing to do with a Ram truck which is what this forum is about. I also have 15 times the amount of posts than you on this forum so it's highly likely that I've done my research and talked to tons of guys about all this stuff where you haven't.
It's not a "pissing match". You came on here quoting and replying to every one of my points saying I was wrong. LOL
Clearly you felt you knew more and tried to post that, so I let you know, I am essentially twice your age and before you were a twinkle in your parents eye's I had owned several cars already and had been modding them for years.
So it would be like a junior college graduate telling a tenured professor he was wrong on all his points. A bit arrogant, and quite frankly wrong on your part.
As for post on this forum.
Once again, I've been a member of auto forums since 1998. You were barely learning to ride a bike without training wheels at that point.

I never discredited you, just pointed out, your age tells me you have far less experience about cars than I, so as I said, "no disrespect". It was you who disrespected my responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
As far as the gearing goes, you still aren't realizing the difference between city and highway driving. Yes on the highway where you get up to speed and you stay there having 3.21's would be a better option because they keep your RPM lower. But as I stated, in the city where you are constantly accelerating and stopping having lower gears is better because it makes the engine work less to get the wheels and tires turning. If you think I'm wrong with this why is everyone ordering 3.92 gears stock or changing to 4.10's and 4.56's with bigger tires? By your logic everyone should have the highest gears possible.
Once again, it's you not understanding.
I know what gearing is and what it isn't.
I'd swapped out rear axle ratios in my first Mustang 5.0 before you were born.

The op pointed out that he was only getting 14 mpg on his new truck.
I mentioned that he needs to give it some time for some break in, and asked if he had 3.92's
Because the FACT of the matter is, on his STOCK truck (as it is now and as I was responding too) you will get worse gas mileage, especially on the highway, with 3.92's than you would with 3.21's
What exactly about that are you arguing about and don't understand.

I also clearly stated, that of course, IF or when he puts larger diameter tires on his truck, he would want the 3.92's and that's because the larger diameter tires essentially raise his gear ratio BACK down to 3.92 or even closer to 3.55 if his tires are tall enough.
I also clearly stated that of course with the larger tires you would NOT want 3.21 gears as you'd need to be heavier on the throttle to get the truck moving which eats into the gas.
Again, what part of those points of mine did YOU not understand and are arguing about?


Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Again, I agree that you will add more fuel by adding more air. Make sense. But you still didn't get the point about the engine not working as hard. Because it's easier to get the air in (and out with a free flowing exhaust) the engine doesn't have to work as hard which DOES give you slightly better fuel economy. I'm not saying it's a lot... but there would be a slight difference.
I understand what you are saying, but what I said was, in my experience with CAI's and exhaust, the CAI has never given me better fuel economy.
What it gives me is more air into and by the MAF, which then compensates by adding more fuel, which gives you more power and less fuel economy.
I also stated, that I have never really tested the fuel economy benefits of adding an exhaust, as I've never added an exhaust without other mods.
But again, my point was, if you are driving the truck or car leisurely, you don't NEED a CAI.
It's not going to suck in any more air at leisure driving than a stock box would, because at leisure driving it doesn't NEED to.
At 1/4 throttle, you'll see zero power gains from a CAI than a stock box.
My other point was, if you are adding a CAI chances are you are desiring more power. If you desire better fuel economy, buying a truck should not be your priority. And further, even if you do, lifting it and putting larger tires on, surely is not the way to go, if MPG is your concern.



Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
And once again, you aren't getting the difference between a city and highway truck.

So no offense buddy but coming on here and giving me shit (and other people) for my age and not having experience when you don't even have a Ram doesn't seem like the smartest move. I'm much sooner going to listen to all the other members on here that actually have a Ram and have lifted it, put bigger tires on, and changed the gears.

So again, like I said. If you're just hear to start a pissing match with everyone then don't bother. If you actually have some valuable advice to give that will help out the OP and the rest of the community then go for it but cut it down to just that. I also suggest you actually have experience with an actual RAM before you go shooting your mouth off about all of it.
Grow up kid!

I don't have any desire to debate this further, and your youthful arrogance is disrespectful and retarded.
I know what my experiences are and I shared them.
If yours are different, great, but don't come on a forum and tell a person twice your age who has boatloads of experience with autos that his experience is wrong and expect that I won't respond to those disrespectful assumptions on your part.
Good day.
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4 with LSD and 3.92's
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4 with LSD and 3.55's -GONE-
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-08-2013, 07:18 PM
brandonjansen's Avatar
brandonjansen brandonjansen is offline
Lifted Cummins Fanatic


 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Age: 22
Posts: 5,864
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep Power: 7
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
I didn't say a 6" lift was "way too big".
He was asking for opinions on lift size and tire size, I gave mine.

Yes actually it does. With age comes experience.
I've not only as I stated been working on and tuning cars before you were born, my brother was also a car mechanic and builder and I'd "help" him for years. I am also good friends with many tuners and worked closely with them for years.

It's not a "pissing match". You came on here quoting and replying to every one of my points saying I was wrong. LOL
Clearly you felt you knew more and tried to post that, so I let you know, I am essentially twice your age and before you were a twinkle in your parents eye's I had owned several cars already and had been modding them for years.
So it would be like a junior college graduate telling a tenured professor he was wrong on all his points. A bit arrogant, and quite frankly wrong on your part.
As for post on this forum.
Once again, I've been a member of auto forums since 1998. You were barely learning to ride a bike without training wheels at that point.

I never discredited you, just pointed out, your age tells me you have far less experience about cars than I, so as I said, "no disrespect". It was you who disrespected my responses.

Once again, it's you not understanding.
I know what gearing is and what it isn't.
I'd swapped out rear axle ratios in my first Mustang 5.0 before you were born.

The op pointed out that he was only getting 14 mpg on his new truck.
I mentioned that he needs to give it some time for some break in, and asked if he had 3.92's
Because the FACT of the matter is, on his STOCK truck (as it is now and as I was responding too) you will get worse gas mileage, especially on the highway, with 3.92's than you would with 3.21's
What exactly about that are you arguing about and don't understand.

I also clearly stated, that of course, IF or when he puts larger diameter tires on his truck, he would want the 3.92's and that's because the larger diameter tires essentially raise his gear ratio BACK down to 3.92 or even closer to 3.55 if his tires are tall enough.
I also clearly stated that of course with the larger tires you would NOT want 3.21 gears as you'd need to be heavier on the throttle to get the truck moving which eats into the gas.
Again, what part of those points of mine did YOU not understand and are arguing about?

I understand what you are saying, but what I said was, in my experience with CAI's and exhaust, the CAI has never given me better fuel economy.
What it gives me is more air into and by the MAF, which then compensates by adding more fuel, which gives you more power and less fuel economy.
I also stated, that I have never really tested the fuel economy benefits of adding an exhaust, as I've never added an exhaust without other mods.
But again, my point was, if you are driving the truck or car leisurely, you don't NEED a CAI.
It's not going to suck in any more air at leisure driving than a stock box would, because at leisure driving it doesn't NEED to.
At 1/4 throttle, you'll see zero power gains from a CAI than a stock box.
My other point was, if you are adding a CAI chances are you are desiring more power. If you desire better fuel economy, buying a truck should not be your priority. And further, even if you do, lifting it and putting larger tires on, surely is not the way to go, if MPG is your concern

Grow up kid!

I don't have any desire to debate this further, and your youthful arrogance is disrespectful and retarded.
I know what my experiences are and I shared them.
If yours are different, great, but don't come on a forum and tell a person twice your age who has boatloads of experience with autos that his experience is wrong and expect that I won't respond to those disrespectful assumptions on your part.
Good day.
And once again you come back with the pissing match answer. Just like you have with any one else on this thread who disagrees with you. If you don't think so then why do are you constantly pulling information into your argument that has absolutely nothing to so with the subject of this thread?

So whatever bud. I don't have time to sit here and argue with you. I actually spend my time helping people on the forum and giving them constructive and help full answers. Not tweaking at everyone who doesn't share the same opinion than me.

See ya later bro!
__________________

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 PM
chadster21's Avatar
chadster21 chadster21 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: newfoundland
Age: 27
Posts: 794
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport fully loaded
Color: charcoal grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 3
Rep:108
chadster21 will become famous soon enoughchadster21 will become famous soon enough
Default

hahahahaaahh i love it.

now that everyone is friends again, when are you getting your Ram, PROFESSOR?
__________________
6'' rcx lift, 1.25'' rcx body lift, pro comp adjustables at 2.75'', 1.75'' tgc coil spacer. 37'' toyos on 20'' fuel hostages. mufflex 14 cai
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:05 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum