DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-09-2013, 02:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
SullyB858 is on a distinguished road
Default First Time Mod Advice

Hey folks!
I am looking into getting my Hemi souped up a little bit without breaking the bank too hard. This 14.5MPG is kind of killing me, lol. My odometer is reading 104K miles, but I just had a new long block (from the Dodge plant in MI) put in at about 86K, so she's still pretty new. I have done a little research and would like some input from you folks who may have already done this. This is what I am looking into doing:

1) Cold Air Intake: I'm looking at going with the AEM BruteForce air intake system. My mom has it on her Jeep Rubicon, and several of my friends have it on their trucks (various makes/models). Feedback?

2) Cat-Back Exhaust: one word; Flowmaster. On my previous truck (Chevy Silverado) I had a MagnaFlow but I can't seem to find one for a Dodge Ram, so I was gonna go with Flowmaster. Plus I heard they are a good system anyways and not too pricey.

3) Headers: JBA Titanium Ceramic. Found those online and haven't really done much research on them. Is there a better company that is not too pricey? (JBA wants about $850).

Also, if I am changing out the headers and the cat-back, would you folks rec. that I change out the Y-Pipe and the cat as well to performance grade? Complete the whole system?

Like I said, any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Patriot Blue
Rep:1900
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

1) Good choice. Can't really get a BAD CAI, but don't expect to get 30 HP and 3 MPG from it. They truely are more for looks and sound. Although they will help some, I have an aFe stage two. S&B makes a cool one for your truck

2) A muffler is a muffler..doesn't matter what truck it goes on. A billion guys on this site run magnaflows. Keep with your flowmaster, they sound better anyway in my opinion. People will say the straight-through design of the magnaflow is better performance wise than flowmaster but I dont think it's a huge difference.

3) A lot of guys run JBA, I think BBK is another company.

4) Might as well do the y-pipe too while you are at it.

No matter what you get, we have an AWESOME vendor here on this forum called Discount Auto Performance, run by Jeremiah and Andrew. Their contact info is below, they will set you up with the best deal around on any of these items. Well not sure about headers and AEM actually, but doesn't hurt to ask.

jhinkle1989@discountautoperformance.com
fastnugly@discountautoperformance.com
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Satin Orange
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

add 4.56's to the list.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:39 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Converter with the gears and cam.

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 05-09-2013, 04:23 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram SRT10 RC 6spd
Trim Level: SRT10 RC
Color: Brilliant black
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:145
05ram will become famous soon enough05ram will become famous soon enough

Superchips 3865
14" Magnaflow dumped with Mag Y-pipe
BBK headers
BFI cai if you can find one, S&B 2nd choice
Fastman TB
Sonnax LPB
That's what I did to my 05 Hemi and it all worked awesome together, good luck with your choices.....
2004 SRT10 RC in black, with 500+HP, B&G Stage2 PCM, K&N drop in, JMB Catless mids, JTSVP Gen1 shifter, all synthetic fluids, lots of underhood billet with a Snakeskin radiator cover from JTSHydro, LED tails, BedRug, colormatched tonneau!!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Badass one
Color: Black on black on black on black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
bballejo is on a distinguished road

What kind of cams would yall recommend
and a tune would be better then a chip wouldn't it?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:37 PM

HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballejo View Post
What kind of cams would yall recommend
and a tune would be better then a chip wouldn't it?
Isn't like the older days (I say older because old days was carbs) where you burned a chip to put in the engine computer (like Grand Nationals). Programmers are pretty the way to go now and are capable fo doing much more, including diagnostics (pulls trouble codes & resets most general ones). The only "chips" you really find now for modern vehicles (besides the Jet chip) are actually air intake resistors to try and fool the computer into thinking the intake charge is cooler than it is. Get the Superchips (or a Diablo).

"Big Red"
2006 Charger R/T
Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

To the OP....lot of good info here. I'll throw a little more at you to think about.

No CAI is going to amaze you with the performance gain but in addition to the ones mentioned already you should check into the Vararam.
http://www.vararam.com/hemi.html

I would not buy a catback system, especially considering you seem to be planning to redo the entire system anyway. Just pick the muffler you want and have it welded in. Magnaflow, Borla, and Dynomax are probably at the top of the list performance wise but I agree that the performance gain from the muffler alone is minimal at best. If you just love the sound of the Flowmaster, I wouldn't let the performance issue bother you. Another popular header to look at is Pacesetter. They make a killer set of longtubes that are priced great. I would definitely swap the stock y-pipe for something like Magnaflow or I think Pacesetter actually makes a y-pipe of their own.

Depends on how much money you want to drop but the early Hemi engines respond great to cam swaps. Comp cams are popular but I would probably start here if I were looking for one.
http://www.inertiamotorsports.com/camshafts.html

Have fun!
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 05-09-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:29 PM

See, you're lucky, you have an 05, (arguably) the best year for custom tuning. You could go a little more radical than say, someone like me with an 03 with cams, etc, because it can be tuned properly without any hassles to make it run right.

"Big Red"
2006 Charger R/T