DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
scoott is on a distinguished road
Default biggest midbasses that will fit in 2012 fr. doors?

I've been acquiring pieces to do a rather big, SQ system in my 2012 Dodge Ram diesel crewcab.
Traded in my 93 Chev (bought new)with twin 10w6's in custom console, 3 way with 4 6.5 MB Quart midbasses in door, 5 1/4's /tweets in the kickpanels. 3 Amps running each speaker it's own channel through a huge Pioneer premier electronic crossover. Of course I kept all the equipment I could take out.

I don't want to build out the doors this time, so I'm wondering how big a midbass will fit behind the doorpanels. I'm planning on a plywood baffle and much sound deadening/sealing of doors.

Or should I just go 6.5 midbasses front and back doors, with the back a higher cross-over for rear fill.

I have a set of 6.5 Hat Clarus and a set of 6.5 Imagines that I could use as midbasses, sell or use crossovers & tweets elsewhere.

Front stage is also up in the air. I can go three different ways:

1. I purchased a used set of USD horns with selenium drivers that could go under the dash. Tweets from the clarus in the A pillars if needed.

2. I have a set of HAT 4 legatia that could go in the kicks with the Clarus tweet.

3. I also have a set of Hat L3 's that could go in the dash with Clarus tweets?

My old chev imaged well, with a wide soundstage, but was ,admittedly a tad low, below the dash.

But listening to recent instals.....I would rather have a low stage than a muddled high one. I tell myself I'm listening from a balcony seat??

I also picked up a JBL MS-8, and a audio control 6 channel Dqs. whatever I don't use in the 2012 Dodge will go into my 2004 Dodge. Both are work trucks ( Sort of) , so the system needs to be secure and stealthy.
Some pieces will go into my 92 Ford SHO that got all but the mounted speakers ripped off by a housekeeper, while ripping off the house. And No..., cops asked her if she stole anything at a traffic stop, she said no, and they closed the case! So much for CSI,etc.

Lots of amps , new and old to play with . Lows of 75 watts/channel to 600 so clean power is not an issue.

I don't want to thump, but I do like big dynamic range and to feel the music once in awhile.

Subs will be the 10w6's, OR Boston Acoustics 12.5's , OR the new Boston square sub, or some of my old 1200 or 1500 GTI's .

Anyway, I heard a quadcab with focals in the stock locations and hated it. I know that putting the drivers in the locations and listening is best method, but looking for shortcuts since I can't have the truck (s) down for any length of time.
I was thinking of putting a set of 8's behind the grilles in the doors if they would fit, to keep up with the horns.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading this, Scoott
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2013, 08:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 2500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
autokraftgt is on a distinguished road

Your biggest obsticle is depth, not diameter.
With that said, I have fit a Dynaudio MW182 in my doors without too much trimming. That midbass is 9" and sounded great. I have since replaced that midbass with a Dynaudio Esotar 650 and have not looked back.
but yea....hope that encourages you to go big